Hey dude, can you hold my stuff for me?

Earthworm Jim

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yes, it works.

Books and papers that have gotten wet by fire, flood, broken pipe or what-have-you can be recovered. Recovered by the homeowner, without extensive training, and without expensive tools (such as the large-scale freeze-drying unit I've set up). It is time-intensive, and therefore not for the patience-challenged, nor a good idea if you have a whole lot of stuff, but if you've got one or two wet books, and the time to spare, you can get results just about as good as I can.

The most important thing, upon which everything else hinges, is get the book frozen A.S.A.P.! Once the book dries out, the wrinkles and warping are set, and there's nothing anybody can do about it. But freeze it, and all damage stops. And the book can stay frozen, in stasis, until you're ready to handle it.

Wrap the book in a U of wax or freezer paper, or in a plastic bag. It's best to freeze it at -15F or lower, so if you can get access to a commercial freezer space, it would be a good idea. If that's not available, a home freezer will do in a pinch, but the results won't be quite as good. If possible, freeze the book spine down, and supported so it won't lean or fall over. If you have to lay it on its side, make sure that the book is fully and flatly supported. If you have anything under it smaller than the book, the book can and will mold itself around that object.

OK. You'll need a home freezer (once frozen commercially, the books can be stored in a home freezer without a problem), and a hair dryer.

Also for electronics:

There's a grain of truth (punny, huh?) to this in that rice quickly sucks up the surrounding moisture. Make sure the environment is free from excess humidity, drop the wet device in a container of rice and let it sit. For a better desiccant, it'd be a good idea to store all those little silica gel packets that come in anything from shoe boxes to moisture-sensitive gadgets.