Posting 'good-byes' on dead folks' facebooks...

Fist 666

a cousin of mine passed recently and a few days ago my extended family started flooding her profile with 'we miss you and know you're happy in heaven' type stuff.

this really bothers me. there is a time and place for mourning, and people deal with death in their own ways, but seriously, fucking facebook?

discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i don't object to it at all.

if people want to mourn that way, let them; some of us paint memorial walls to honor the dead, is that bad or tacky too? mourning is something that's too subjective and personal to really criticize... you do you. there's not a right or wrong way.

someone i knew was killed in a shooting and i joined a facebook group memorializing that person, am i wrong for doing that?

i don't object to it at all.

if people want to mourn that way, let them; some of us paint memorial walls to honor the dead, is that bad or tacky too? mourning is something that's too subjective and personal to really criticize... you do you. there's not a right or wrong way.

someone i knew was killed in a school shooting and i joined a facebook group memorializing that person, am i wrong for doing that?

this is where i'm torn--because i understand thats just how they're dealing with it. i think a memorial group is somewhat different, but still. i dunno.

i don't know that tacky is the word i would use, it just seems so impersonal, but i guess traditions and methods evolve with technology.

I take that as a serious compliment. Doug Stanhope rules.

And since i deviated from the actual question at hand: whatever helps people deal with it. I don't think facebook is the most respectful way of going about it, but considering people use facebook for everything these days, it really isn't surprising. I understand what fist is saying though, since it's almost like people looking for sympathy for their mourning. Like, instead of talking with your close friends/family about it, you feel inclined to publicly look for support. That might not make perfect sense typed out, but i'm having trouble explaining what i mean.

Umm, I don't think it's irreverent in anyway. They aren't commenting with the malicious intent. However, it's still kinda lame.

I can equate it to the situation where somethin bad happens to you, I'm talkin real fucked up and someone says idiotically "I understand" Idk for me that comment is grounds for being called an idiot. Yet they weren't being rude, just the only thing they can come up with.

Stanhope is awesome haha

I don't really have a problem with it, I guess some people feel comfortable expressing their feelings for lost loved ones online. But once it's overdone, like honestly people some people still sound like they just found out like 2 months later, it gets lame and old really fast. But the corniest thing is a group dedicated to them...honestly just post the shit on their profile.

I had a really good friend pass away a few years ago. I actually still post messages on his profile online once in a while. Though it's usually stuff like memories of times we had or something like that. I know a few other friends do as well. I think it is a good way for us to share memories of him, and let his family/friends share in these memories.

I also think that we have entered a era where everything is done online vs. in real life. With that in mind I think that facebook/myspace/whatever allow for a disconnect from the reality of death. It also allows for people to increase their ego by showing that they care. I think people feed egos by the status of morning for a friend online, its an environment where the whole world gets to see how much you supposedly care, and what a great friend you are.

See how many of these people are at the wake, or funeral. I am willing to bet not many of them will show up, also see how many of them really offer support, not many do. Most people will use this instance to take as much as they can to increase their own worth somehow. People are fucked.

My condolences fist, hope you and your family are doing ok.

• Like 1

my ex died last year and her myspace page was filled with comment after comment about how she was missed and blah blah blah.

everybody that was friends with put pictures up on their pages, and now that i have facebook our mutual friends still post updates about her.

in one day she turned into mother theresa.

she died of a heroin o.d alone ,and left a son behind.alot of people didnt really know her and only associated off and on in person but mainly through digital means aim,myspace etc.

her image now is only an avatar of what she never was because it was so easy to distort her memory .

to each his own i guess but i gotta cosign with fist and say that shit is creepy

It also allows for people to increase their ego by showing that they care. I think people feed egos by the status of morning for a friend online, its an environment where the whole world gets to see how much you supposedly care, and what a great friend you are.

See how many of these people are at the wake, or funeral. I am willing to bet not many of them will show up, also see how many of them really offer support, not many do. Most people will use this instance to take as much as they can to increase their own worth somehow. People are fucked.

This. A few months back there was a really bad car accident in which Manute's best friend died, and one of my best friends almost did. Afterwards Facebook was blowing up with people mourning and supposedly caring, obviously pining for attention and sympathy. Kid's wake was filled with a bunch of junkies high on OCs, a bunch of girls who barely knew him crying their eyes out, and scumbags in long Ecko t-shirts. Most of these people were absent from the funeral at least