Egypt Vacation

!@#$%

yes btw, i totally felt out of place

it did limit me, but only a little. not much walking around at night alone or toeing any lines.

i also wore a headscarf to blend in a bit, and kept my arms covered.

it was all good though.

4396610765_05912a0b97_b.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ i love that shot of the dogs.

and no, they are not friendly.

you can tell they live on the street, and get by on their toughness

re: obelisks

they're cool though. a la 2001 (the kubrick movie)

sort of an enigmatic monument

ok so unfortunately, a lot of egypt's treasures have been hauled off to berlin and london.

a few are left though

4399232349_4de6f2db63_b.jpg

Aswan seen from the Nubian Museum

4399238959_88a4b911c0_b.jpg

baksheesh is not easy to avoid, unless you don't ever want to use a public bathroom haha

i doled it out with pleasure because in reality it's pennies, and sometimes people are really helping you out.

there is no toilet paper anywhere, so ladies earn it by providing tissue. i'm not going to say no.

if you are asking directions or something, a person isn't going to expect anything then.

if you are taking a pic of something forbidden to take pics of, they often demand quite a bit, and for each photo, not like once you give them money you can snap away. so if you want to go places you shouldn't go and flick them, be ready with cash.

i tipped drivers even though i prolly didn;t have to. and i hooked our tour guide up, who i hired for the day. he was amazingly appreciative.

but the hotel staff i didn't tip, and no one seemed to expect it.

so it's a complicated system, and i'd say no. you cannot avoid it but if you're ready then it won't overwhelm you.

baksheesh is not easy to avoid, unless you don't ever want to use a public bathroom haha

i doled it out with pleasure because in reality it's pennies, and sometimes people are really helping you out.

there is no toilet paper anywhere, so ladies earn it by providing tissue. i'm not going to say no.

if you are asking directions or something, a person isn't going to expect anything then.

if you are taking a pic of something forbidden to take pics of, they often demand quite a bit, and for each photo, not like once you give them money you can snap away. so if you want to go places you shouldn't go and flick them, be ready with cash.

i tipped drivers even though i prolly didn;t have to. and i hooked our tour guide up, who i hired for the day. he was amazingly appreciative.

but the hotel staff i didn't tip, and no one seemed to expect it.

so it's a complicated system, and i'd say no. you cannot avoid it but if you're ready then it won't overwhelm you.

oh ok, the way you explained it makes sense and seems more than reasonable. from what i was reading, they made it seems super annoying.

this rug shop was quite an experience

i couldn't tell if we were being hustled or not.. and i think we were but who knows.

i didn't buy in the end, much to the owner's chagrin.

4400045472_0ee6faf43b_b.jpg

4400038604_62a9699e33_b.jpg

the Valley of the Kings is a mind blowing place.

4399267665_3fbbf29e51_b.jpg

ok, you aren't allowed to bring your camera folks..but i did anyway

4400031902_f43bf6c1fe_b.jpg

What was interesting was, that about 20 minutes after getting there, maybe 30, an Italian couple came in, and buddy started speaking fluent Italian. The amount of work they put into learning other languages is awesome.

yeah in tunisia they were like "Bonjourwiegehtshellogoddagbuongiourno" in really rapid succesion as you walk past and see which one you react to!