Teaching english abroad.

FruityLexia.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right then LUGR, i just seen said uncle/ immature as fuck older brother i never had...

i'm really fuckin' pished... as in drunk. and my country just beat then czech republic 1-0!!!!

(unheard of...)

fuck yeah...

but he said EF's pretty much a franchise, where they're gonne pay you pretty shite moneys...

but you'll be with a great deal o' westerners...

he says if you're young then it's probably the way to go...

he didn't really have a bad word to say aboot it what so ever. but said they'll look after you and you'll be in safe hands.

he told me o' folk he knows who went to korea. i dinna ken (that means "don't know") which side they went but he said if that's the route you're gonna go then make sure to go with Ef.

like i said they'll look after you feed you, and feed you drank.

i'm gonna stop typing noo. i'm fairly sure i'm fuckin' gased. however, i'm giving said uncle knobend a two hour journey to teh airport tomorrow. so i'f you want to send me some questions aboot language teaching then i'll do my best to read this before i go...

i hope this was slightly helpful, but i seriously doubt it was... good night!!!`

• Like 1

a good friend of mine from college teaches english in south korea and has a kickass time doing it. he's nailing a good looking korean girl, gets blind drunk for the equivalent or a handful of pennies and gets to skate AAAAAAAAAANNNNDDDD gets paid.

i've seriously considered the JET program in japan, but i have to wait til i'm off probation.

Right on Rolph...

If you can ask him who he was working for in Jakarta that would be great. EF is definitely the largest chain over there with the most legit online presence but I would be very interested to know about other options over there. Not really worried about being taken care of and being with westerners since I speak the language well enough.

Thanks

just what this board needs stan, moar tranny handjobs...

nae problem lugr. i'm actually away to give the boy a lift to the airport. i dunno why i agreed to it. it's probably why he got me so fuckin' drunk last night.

i'll ask and report back in aboot 8 hours.

he did say jakarta's the shit though. the only complaint he had was that their religion kinda fucks things up a bit, and the heat can be unbearable sometimes.

but then again we're Scottish so we don't really get weather hotter than 30 degrees in the summer. you foreigners might be able to deal with it better

I thought it was threads about people 'leaving 12oz', or getting handjobs from trannys.

don't forget the I just saw city of god damn that shit's mad gangsta threads that appear on a frequent basis.

I live in korea, I don't teach but most of other foreigners I know are english teachers. how much they enjoy it depends on a few variables, public schools pay worse but have more holidays, private schools pay better but you only get 2 weeks a year holiday. they provide housing but it's real shitty and miles away from anywhere you'd want to be. you can get a housing allowance from a school but you'll be expected to put down a key money deposit which can be huge ($5 grand upwards).

also be realistic, unless you're doing overtime every weekend you won't be saving much money. it's more of a holiday than anything else despite what any recruiter tells you.

i probably couldnt do this as i have a couple felonies.

Would sure like to tho... Hows it work anyways? You

are making semi fluent people more conversational?

I read up above that they like white people for this

but how many white americans are fluent in Mandarin,

Korean, Japanese, or any of the many local dialects?

These languages seem very different than the western

languages./confused:confused: :confused: :confused:

come to think of it. My moms has had the same

Korean pen pal since she was like 8. They been

talking for over 40 years. I mailed her a letter not too

long ago as she asks about me from time to time.

Professor at Hongik University in Seoul. Studied

and taught all over the world. France, Cornell University,

Somewhere in Argentina. She was saying something

about she could and would sponsor me and put me

up or some shit. What ever thats supposed to mean.

Abcs = potential diplomat spook

does anyone know if you need a tesol cert to get work? or can you just go and try and hook something up? i've got a degree but no tesol qualifications. i quit my job last week and this is something i've been wanting to do for ages

a degree is more important than a tesol/tefl

99% of the english teacher population here speaks little to no korean outside of ordering food/hailing a cab. learning the language is not a prerequisite and you're not expected to know anything in korean. definitely helps in day to day life though.

thanks doc, and i totally agree with you - this isn't something you'd do to make/save money, it's more the fact that you get to live and work overseas. i'm thinking vietnam; somewhere gritty like. i'd imagine china to be boring as fuck, i've been to korea but only as an overnight stopover, it still didn't really grab me as a place i could see myself living for 12+ months, sounds a bit superficial considering the extremely short stay, i know.

to the guy talking about previous conviction/felonies - i'd probably say that japan is a no go. i had an interview to go there through a school in melbourne a few years back, got accepted, but then they said my visa was subject to a police check (it was something like 500 clams to go through the working visa process) if it was rejected i'd lose the cashola. i didn't go through with it, i don't have any major priors but you just don't know how strict the japanese are with that stuff

Why would you think China is boring?

It's a big place, dude. Teach in Beijing for three months, Shanghai for three, Qingdao for three and maybe Kunming for some relaxed hash smoking palm tree three months.

Beijing is boring after you've been here for a while but the first 3-6 months are a blast.

i was drunk when i wrote that.

now i'm all changed around on china.

i have been looking into it and i applied for a few jobs. thing is that they've emailed me asking me to send of a copy of my degree, resume, reference letter and passport. i'm cool with the first three, but does anyone else think the passport thing seems a bit suss? or can anyone tell me if this is standard?

I've been living in Hanoi, Vietnam and teaching english for the past 8 months. Jobs are plentiful, the money is fantastic and the chicks are bangin'. There are hundreds of english schools over here. A handful are of a high quality. They pay the best, but they're pretty picky about who they hire. There's a handful at the bottom end who are dodgy as all hell and should be avoided, but the bulk are well run, friendly outfits. There's so much work that there's no need to hook up a job before you get here. For a while, I was only working 15 hours a week, starting at 5.30 pm and banking about $1000US a month. Realistically, you can live off half that. If you work a real 40 hour week, you'll be making serious bank.

A TEFL/TESOL cert helps to get work, having a degree of any kind is better, but having experience wins. Realistically, most schools don't care what qualifications you actually have, they just want you to put good stuff on your CV so they can tell the students that you're super qualified. If they ask for proof of qualifications you don't have, just tell them you don't have it with you and put it off until they give you up or you quit and find another job. Works for me.

If anyone's thinking about coming here, check out The New Hanoian

• Like 1

Parklife, What's your visa situation like?

I recently did an interview with one of the larger companies out of Japan. 50+ people showed up to interview and the entire thing was not very well organized. Didn't get a call back but also don't think I would be a fit with the culture of that company. The search continues.

So late on this thread....

I'm about to graduate with a BA in education and minor in english. I've considered the JET program in Japan and some other Czech Republic, but will probably just go back to grad school and teach in the states.

That's my story.

If I were you, I'd go overseas. It's just not in my cards right now.

they provide housing but it's real shitty and miles away from anywhere you'd want to be.

also be realistic, unless you're doing overtime every weekend you won't be saving much money. it's more of a holiday than anything else despite what any recruiter tells you.

The housing they give you in Korea is not bad at all and usually only about a mile from your school at most. It is also easy as shit to live well and save a LOAD of money while working in Korea without working overtime. Whoever gave you this info is horrible misinformed. I know dudes who have saved half their salary a month or paid off their entire student loans in a year and still raged and had a blast every chance they got.

thanks doc, and i totally agree with you - this isn't something you'd do to make/save money, it's more the fact that you get to live and work overseas.

He doesn't teach there. You can save an assload of money.

• Like 1

Parklife, What's your visa situation like?

I recently did an interview with one of the larger companies out of Japan. 50+ people showed up to interview and the entire thing was not very well organized. Didn't get a call back but also don't think I would be a fit with the culture of that company. The search continues.

I'm on a 3 month business visa, seems endlessly renewable. They've tightened visa control recently, I used to be on a 6 month visa. Price has gone up too, it's now about $120US for 3 months.

• 3 weeks later...

my plan is to go to hongkong, china, or japan. live in a dodgey shitty part of town. make decent cash and then dj at night clubs on the side just for kicks. i would prefer to go to hongkong but from researching on the internet i have learned that minimum is a degree and a tseol ( or what ever its called) certificate. i don't have either but i could get a dilpoma in music production easy by the of 2011 and to do a tseol course no problems but i also wouldn't mind jetting off now/ soon as possible.

Does any one know if dipolma and degrees are seen as the same thing when applying for these jobs? should i go to china instead and work there for a while then transfer to hongkong after gaining experience. or should i go to japan and rock out on that freaky shit