Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geezpot

Winter Olympics 2010

First death today as luge athlete dies during a test run.

This pic was taken right before his head was smashed in by the pole.

m7giw.jpg

Olympic Committee are being faggots blocking that video. Like the crash has the secret to lightspeed travel

I'm more impressed with how fucking stupid that dude's haircut is. Ya know, the one kissing another man. NH

Sounds morbid but I envy anyone who goes out like a champ doing whatever it is they love to do.

Not that I'd want to die in the first place but at least dude was living it up till the end.

Hopefully his last thoughts were about how awesome making it to the Olympics feels.

RIP Nodar Kumaritashvilli

• Like 2

the noise he makes when he crashes into that shit is pretty gnarly.

who would of thought they even did luge in Georgia?

rip,

RIP, rough times.. seems a little messed up to me that they would have large steel supports that close to the track given the speeds that these guys get up too, especially after a real sharp blind turn like that.

Apparently the guy has only been practicing for less than a year, he also had a crash earlier this week. Along with over a dozen crashed from other athletes. The track has already broken world records and is extremely fast compared to any other track in the world.

Whatever happens during luge competition, it's always in the blink of any eye. That was the case last night at the Whistler Sliding Centre during the men's luge training runs.

Positioned at turn 16, I tried to capture rider on sled, speeding by at 120km/h plus through the Olympic rings painted on the ice surface. It's the kind of feature picture I like to get early at the Olympics so I can concentrate on the start and finish areas during competition in the weeks to come. In the time it takes to type this comma, riders blast through this turn without any visual cue. The only way to anticipate them coming is the progressively louder sound of the sled on ice as it approaches. Then, with careful timing, one frame is all you get to capture the rider flying by over the rings.

Only this time it was different. When I heard marshals yelling further up the track, I had a hunch something was wrong. As the blur flew by, I nailed one frame and voila, rider is AWOL! Nodar Kumaritashvili, of Georgia, probably fell off off at turn 13, which is known for its high degree of difficulty. Somewhere, he was tumbling down the course at high speed.

Strangely, the sled kept a perfect course, speeding toward the uphill finish area, then making a perfect run backwards through my turn a moment later, still at a high speed, and once again returning past the rings at a more manageable speed at which time the marshals could grab onto it.

6a00d8341bf8f353ef0120a890f5ba970b-800wi

The sled of Nodar Kumaritashvili, of Georgia, slides empty through the Olympic rings in turn 16 after he crashed further up the track, during men's luge training in Whistler Feb. 10, 2010.

6a00d8341bf8f353ef012877939ce9970c-800wi

Shaken but uninjured, Kumaritashvili staggers off the course after crashing.

So I hear they're going to premiere the remake of We Are The World during the opening ceremonies. They said Lil Wayne will be singing Bruce Springsteen's part. This I gotta see.

Also, how will Vancouver top the Beijing opening ceremonies? They won't.

000_02302.jpg.18ed887ab8b6bb564f9a51576a82ff11.jpg

000_02282.jpg.ccaf5cb0508d14c48bae627fcd24f755.jpg

000_02292.jpg.a6157d743172aa4e68278f9a516b5348.jpg

The Olympics are such a fucking bummer. I can't wait til it's over.

The CODE live stuff is interesting and worth checking out though.

This thing was fun.

reactable_02-1024x662.jpg

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now