Get to know typography

Lady_Sec

im not saying that your gonna learn everything from calligraphy im saying that it can help you understand your letters better and help you develop your style.alot of my style is based of caligraphy so i cant say "this shit isnt going to do anything for you" because it did,for me atleast...before my shit was all over the place and now its starting to look more decent adn it think alot of that was not only from practicing but from learning more about the letters i was rocking.but i agree with you on studying how other people in graff do there shit and for throwies and shit...im just saying that typography could help someone get their shit down.you cant build a skyscraper without a good solid foundation...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
nothing you say is smart because you're wrong on every single point.

you've fronted saying you've been in the game for 10 years or whatever, and then i see you giving out retarded advice like this.

these kids don't need to know typography, maybe if they wanted to be typographists, but they don't.

they want to be vandals.

something you know absolutely nothing about.

they need to be sitting down and sketching, not reading up and learning bullshit like this.

the last person anyone should be listening to is you.

What are you talking about. straight letter simples are the basics of graffiti. From what i've seen the dope graffers have grasp on the typography rules, so I in no way see how this is useless.

It's all good....tango is just in here trying to stir shit up. If I said the sky was blue he would bitch about that.

He's on my shit cuz he got a crush or something....but I don't do the D. Go ahead Tango, floor is yours to bitch about that. It's like arguing with a brick wall.

I see his point but he doesn't see mine at all....it's all good though because I'm not losing shit by getting mad at this crap. It's a fucking messageboard....get over yourself man.

Yeah you pulled my card....I could give a shit dude. I've said it time and time again. I think it's fun to see what else you'll say next...it's fucking free entertainment!!!!

calm down, calm down.. Everybodys gettin worked up cause one dumb ass feels like hating on having a well rounded sense of lettering and shares his dumb ass opinion.. (which we all know are like assholes) tango, you can learn a shit-load from the streets but if you learn to apply formal education to the fundamentals of the knowlege you've gained from them.. That's like upgrading from an atari to a ps3.. Lol.. I like that..

• 1 month later...

this needs a bump for the many toys in the yard

tango's a hatin clown that cant let it go that while learning about typography, calligraphy, etc. will not teach ya the finer parts of graffiti, (and what he said about a mentor is very true although the amount of people lookin to take in a toy to teach these days are slim to none) but it is good for toys too study n sketch too because in lot of cases itl teach em the basics of letter structures

pew pew pew hit the nail on the head tho s'all about baby steps in the beginnin

*calligraphy type books are great for learnin too, look at all the writers who rock a semi o.e. style (choke comes too mind)

• 1 month later...

The problem with this thread is not the advice, its the audience. Obviously graffiti shouldn't be learned over the internet but that is a whole other clusterfuck of its own.

It takes about 30 seconds of reading your posts to figure out that you are a girl who is in her mid twenties tops and you credit yourself for being "into" graff for ten years when in reality, you saw some kid write "Rocket King 69" in his english notebook back in 7th grade and that was that.

You obviously have not ever actually perused an understanding of graffiti before the last 6 months:

l_41d6c075bd4e428b95d7a864b32e0586.jpg

Tango 24 is right in just about everything he's said in this thread. Just because there are aspects of refined typography that can be used and contorted in graffiti doesn't mean it should be considered a building block for toys. Serif and San Serif typefaces can make all the difference in the design world. But on a wall it doesn't matter. If shit is wack nobody is gonna say "damn bro why the fuck are you still rocking Gill Sans? You need to step your Baskerville game up dawg." That's not how this thing works.

The truth is there is a lot to be learned from typefaces when it comes to simples, sure, but its hard to make a compelling argument for anything past keyboard letters, all that does is waste time. Period.

its been said a million times and that's because it's true, you want to learn graffiti? go look at good fucking graffiti. Shit these lazy idiots don't even have to get up, they can study style masters in the very same chair that you want them to pore over descenders and brackets in.

Also this isn't quite in the same realm but it's an important point to make: just because many principles of graffiti can be successfully implemented as design tools, doesn't mean it works equally the other way around. There are tons of successful designers that grew up as writers and have unique insight that gives them a competitive edge in the design industry, but I have yet to read an interview with a writer who said that he got into graffiti because of Paul Rand or some shit like that.

writer then designer = writer and designer.

designer then writer = designer and toy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The problem with this thread is not the advice, its the audience. Obviously graffiti shouldn't be learned over the internet but that is a whole other clusterfuck of its own.

It takes about 30 seconds of reading your posts to figure out that you are a girl who is in her mid twenties tops and you credit yourself for being "into" graff for ten years when in reality, you saw some kid write "Rocket King 69" in his english notebook back in 7th grade and that was that.

You obviously have not ever actually perused an understanding of graffiti before the last 6 months:

l_41d6c075bd4e428b95d7a864b32e0586.jpg

Tango 24 is right in just about everything he's said in this thread. Just because there are aspects of refined typography that can be used and contorted in graffiti doesn't mean it should be considered a building block for toys. Serif and San Serif typefaces can make all the difference in the design world. But on a wall it doesn't matter. If shit is wack nobody is gonna say "damn bro why the fuck are you still rocking Gill Sans? You need to step your Baskerville game up dawg." That's not how this thing works.

The truth is there is a lot to be learned from typefaces when it comes to simples, sure, but its hard to make a compelling argument for anything past keyboard letters, all that does is waste time. Period.

its been said a million times and that's because it's true, you want to learn graffiti? go look at good fucking graffiti. Shit these lazy idiots don't even have to get up, they can study style masters in the very same chair that you want them to pore over descenders and brackets in.

Also this isn't quite in the same realm but it's an important point to make: just because many principles of graffiti can be successfully implemented as design tools, doesn't mean it works equally the other way around. There are tons of successful designers that grew up as writers and have unique insight that gives them a competitive edge in the design industry, but I have yet to read an interview with a writer who said that he got into graffiti because of Paul Rand or some shit like that.

writer then designer = writer and designer.

designer then writer = designer and toy.

the truth fellas.