Get to know typography

Lady_Sec

Hey guys...just a little something I thought would help the toys out there.

anatomy.gif

All the type you see.... even on here has an anatomy. Pay attention to the baselines...x-heights..and cap heights. No I don't mean for you to start bombing in Arial or Times New Roman. There are proportions in basic letters that can help with your simples.

Of course this isn't meant for wildstyles...but getting the basics of a letter down right and understanding the anatomy will lead to those.... eventually.

• Like 3

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

all yall niggas need to study up on calligraphy and typography.it helps tremendously.you will never be able to produce any type of decent burner if your ass doesnt know the basics of the letter your trying to distort.you have to start with simples and get acquainted with the letter first before you go around bending it and whatnot.and whats better than to study this shit.people have been screaming do keyboard letters for a while now and take it from me it helps.

if you would have seen my shit before i started simples it was ridiculous...whatever tho do what you want.

and yeah toys can help toys...but they shouldnt.most of yall only have a basic grasp of this shit to begin with so trying to critique some other fools shit is like the blind leading the blind sometimes.props anyways.

Yeah, for sure about blind leading the blind. I understand that. I don't think I'd try to help out any more than what I have learned in design school. i.e. colors, typography, heirarchy. But don't think I'm gonna be oversteppin LOL

Even with all the training it doesn't help unless you practice....as with anything.

I've got a calligraphy book somewhere....was thinking about busting it out a week ago but couldn't find it. I saw a post about a tattoo lettering book, seemed interesting enough...maybe that could help too.

I love how you jump threads just to bitch about my posts. Take things out of context.

This wasn't meant to study. It was meant as a reference. Yes, if you want to be a writer... practice...as I said. If you sit studying this fucking diagram and don't put pencil to paper you are an idiot. To even suggest that is what it's sole purpose is for....is a gross assumption.

Your argument is invalid.

nothing you say is smart because you're wrong on every single point.

you've fronted saying you've been in the game for 10 years or whatever, and then i see you giving out retarded advice like this.

these kids don't need to know typography, maybe if they wanted to be typographists, but they don't.

they want to be vandals.

something you know absolutely nothing about.

they need to be sitting down and sketching, not reading up and learning bullshit like this.

the last person anyone should be listening to is you.

a reference point?

fuck that shit

you know what they need to reference?

some actual graffiti.

kids, if you're in here reading this, get off the computer and wander through your city and take photos of graffiti.

straights, hollows, fill ins, pieces, wildstyles, freestyles

immerse yourself in it

not this bullshit some clown who doesn't know jack is trying to feed you.

I said I've been in the game off and on for 10 years. I never said I was good. You are making assumptions again.

doesn't matter if its on or off

its still a load of shit

no one does graffiti, even part time, for 10 years and produce the wackness that you do

edit: and if they do, they should just fucking stop

these kids don't need to know typography, maybe if they wanted to be typographists, .

:lol: typographER.

All hail mighty tango, his wisdom surpasses that of God himself. Listen and be inspired.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: I won't stop doing anything...get off my shit and go back to Ch. 0 You've made your point.

oh waaah, i didn't go to art school so i have no idea what the job title is.

im stepping on your shit because you front hard, talk alot of smack and think you have a right to try and teach people things.

you don't

in this culture, you sit down, shut up and pay attention

don't try and apply what you learned at some school to graffiti because NEWSFLASH SISTER:

that shit won't fly.

x-heights?

cap heights?

that has nothing to do with style and flow

i've never met a writer who's ever used those terms and i'm sure as jesus was jewish that i never will.

*claps*

If you haven't noticed I don't give a fuck.

Fuckin stalk someone else to get your rocks off cuz it's played itself out. How many times do you really have to make the same point over and over.

I DON'T CARE. I don't spend my life on message boards trying to get e-cred because of my ego. I DON'T CARE. I got rid of the tampons without even trying.....I DON'T CARE.

NEWSFLASH: I DON'T CARE

in this culture my ass....it's a motherfucking messageboard. The real culture is outside of your computer....that's where I live....you can preach about the culture over and over....I could give a fuck....it's not on 12oz thats for sure.

Go out and paint something instead of stalking me across threads trying to call me out again.

Edit: x-heights and cap heights....why the fuck would a writer use that terminology anyways.

ima have to disagree with you on all this shit tango.you act like learning some caligraphy isnt going to help you in the graff game.trust me when i say it will.how many styles are out there that are inspired by old english scripts and all types of other styles.thats not to say you shouldnt study up on the local scene but everylittle bit helps.

most kids that are starting out have no clue about structure and thats why there shit is all over the place.reading up on this shit would probably help them get their shit down and help them progress farther to where they can develop their own style.whatever tho opinions are opinions and opinions aint shit.

except for mine.which is always the right one.fuckaniggathatdontlikeit.

you're in the same boat my man, you're 17 and still fresh in the game.

you know how i learnt?

tagging, then i started doing throw ups, once i got good at those i started doing pieces.

calligraphy will teach you exactly that, calligraphy.

that's fine for straights, people directly use calligraphy in some cases even, but that's it.

nothing else.

it won't help you figure out a fresh handstyle or a dope throwy

which is what someone starting out needs.

you shouldn't even be attempting pieces until you can hold down a clean throwy and bust it out without having to think about it.

once you understand how flow and construction work (thanks to throw ups and tags), then you start thinking about pieces.

if you just want to say

"hey calligraphy will help you understand letters!"

it will

but it wont help you turn them into anything that actually resembles a piece.

calligraphy doesn't teach you about extensions, kicks and swoops.

someone else does.

a mentor.

fuck it

if you don't agree, go bite a bullet

kids are spoon fed so much shit, how are they meant to know what's right or wrong.

i never negged you lady_sec, i just pointed out your hypocrisy and bullshit to other users.

fair's fair when you're playing yourself.

edit: just because swindle and i happened to air you out, does't mean we have to agree on all points