Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lady_Sec

Get to know typography

Hey guys...just a little something I thought would help the toys out there.

anatomy.gif

All the type you see.... even on here has an anatomy. Pay attention to the baselines...x-heights..and cap heights. No I don't mean for you to start bombing in Arial or Times New Roman. There are proportions in basic letters that can help with your simples.

Of course this isn't meant for wildstyles...but getting the basics of a letter down right and understanding the anatomy will lead to those.... eventually.

• Like 3

"Hey man that overshoot right across from the finier on your e is lower than that descender on your t!"

this makes things so much simpler

^you have to understand basic letter structure before you can advance boss...

who are you to be talking about helping out the "toys" when you are one yourself?

tsk tsk

Ugh get a life and go back to Ch. 0

A toy can help out a toy.

all yall niggas need to study up on calligraphy and typography.it helps tremendously.you will never be able to produce any type of decent burner if your ass doesnt know the basics of the letter your trying to distort.you have to start with simples and get acquainted with the letter first before you go around bending it and whatnot.and whats better than to study this shit.people have been screaming do keyboard letters for a while now and take it from me it helps.

if you would have seen my shit before i started simples it was ridiculous...whatever tho do what you want.

and yeah toys can help toys...but they shouldnt.most of yall only have a basic grasp of this shit to begin with so trying to critique some other fools shit is like the blind leading the blind sometimes.props anyways.

This should almost be stickied. As others have said this is the bare basics. Finding something like this back before I began to understand letters would've helped me move forward much quicker.

Bump

Yeah, for sure about blind leading the blind. I understand that. I don't think I'd try to help out any more than what I have learned in design school. i.e. colors, typography, heirarchy. But don't think I'm gonna be oversteppin LOL

Even with all the training it doesn't help unless you practice....as with anything.

I've got a calligraphy book somewhere....was thinking about busting it out a week ago but couldn't find it. I saw a post about a tattoo lettering book, seemed interesting enough...maybe that could help too.

you don't need to study fucking letters to be a graffiti writer...

that's a retarded notion

point me towards a graffiti writer who studied typography instead of just sitting down and sketching again and again and again.

stupidest shit i've heard in a long time

I love how you jump threads just to bitch about my posts. Take things out of context.

This wasn't meant to study. It was meant as a reference. Yes, if you want to be a writer... practice...as I said. If you sit studying this fucking diagram and don't put pencil to paper you are an idiot. To even suggest that is what it's sole purpose is for....is a gross assumption.

Your argument is invalid.

nothing you say is smart because you're wrong on every single point.

you've fronted saying you've been in the game for 10 years or whatever, and then i see you giving out retarded advice like this.

these kids don't need to know typography, maybe if they wanted to be typographists, but they don't.

they want to be vandals.

something you know absolutely nothing about.

they need to be sitting down and sketching, not reading up and learning bullshit like this.

the last person anyone should be listening to is you.

I said I've been in the game off and on for 10 years. I never said I was good. You are making assumptions again.

• Like 1

a reference point?

fuck that shit

you know what they need to reference?

some actual graffiti.

kids, if you're in here reading this, get off the computer and wander through your city and take photos of graffiti.

straights, hollows, fill ins, pieces, wildstyles, freestyles

immerse yourself in it

not this bullshit some clown who doesn't know jack is trying to feed you.

I said I've been in the game off and on for 10 years. I never said I was good. You are making assumptions again.

doesn't matter if its on or off

its still a load of shit

no one does graffiti, even part time, for 10 years and produce the wackness that you do

edit: and if they do, they should just fucking stop

these kids don't need to know typography, maybe if they wanted to be typographists, .

:lol: typographER.

All hail mighty tango, his wisdom surpasses that of God himself. Listen and be inspired.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: I won't stop doing anything...get off my shit and go back to Ch. 0 You've made your point.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now