*SELLING OUT*

Guest WebsterUno

Guest WebsterUno

*******This topic is graff related******

What is considerd selling out, and what isnt?

I remember someone saying the guy

who made a Mountain Dew ad on a truck

was wack for doing it. Yet, the guy who

bombed a truck for MTVs Hip Hop Week

wasnt? Please explain.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by WebsterUno

*******This topic is graff related******

What is considerd selling out, and what isnt?

I remember someone saying the guy

who made a Mountain Dew ad on a truck

was wack for doing it. Yet, the guy who

bombed a truck for MTVs Hip Hop Week

wasnt? Please explain.

*This isn't my opinion, rather it is simply a possible explination*

if you buy into the whole 4-elements b.s. then doing a truck for hip-hop week would be a means of giving something back, a way in which the individual is helping out the hip-hop subculture. Painting an ad for mountain dew could be seen as an exploitation of a subculture, in the sense that is not doing anything productive for the scene, but rather using it to for selfish purposes.

My thought is that if you paint something for MTV, its not for HIP HOP because MTV took mainstream Rap and gangsta shit and now call it TRUE HIP HOP and thats bullshit in my opinion, but if somebody gets there graff name out there especially on tv thats gettin up not selling out, wouldnt we all like a little reward for our efforts even if the people that pay you for it or whatever dont even grasp the reality of graff.

I dont know this is just my opinion

Guest beardo

im going to reserve personal opinion on this one cus im in a weird mood, but those toys seem to fall right on the line between sold/not sold.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

hahahaha…thats a different kind of

selling out. But a good reply. I dont think

backing down is wrong, because I dont

get mad if you want to shake on it, and

be the better man. But being a loud mouth

Foghorn Leghorn, and backing down is a

different story. Thats more like Bitch Made.

But I hear you. I just wondered what other

peoples thoughts were on the subject.

Thanx for sharing.

compromising your ideals for a purpose contradictory w/ em.

if you really like mtv, and you like to bomb.. and you bomb some mtv is (i dont really know what yer talking about.. jsut from what your said)... it doesnt make you a sell out... just a shmuck.

Originally posted by nails

My thought is that if you paint something for MTV, its not for HIP HOP because MTV took mainstream Rap and gangsta shit and now call it TRUE HIP HOP and thats bullshit in my opinion, but if somebody gets there graff name out there especially on tv thats gettin up not selling out, wouldnt we all like a little reward for our efforts even if the people that pay you for it or whatever dont even grasp the reality of graff.

I dont know this is just my opinion

Who the fuck are you to say what is 'true hip hop' and what isnt.

theres no such thing as 'true hip hop'. either all of it is hip hop or none of it is. you cant say one style of rap is any less hip hop than another style. therefore nelly and master p are just as much hip hop as jurassic 5, the roots, and mos def.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/images/splash1.jpg'>

this image is in a tribal ad in an older issue of while you were sleeping, (the one with the ladies of new york) and also one of the intro images on this webpage.

just thought id ask what people think of that...

and what about those writers who work for companies like caffine, tribal, etc... what about them? i know of a few of them.. they even lurk on here... they just found a way to pay the bills... is that selling out?

Guest MR BOJANGLES

im willing to bet that anoyne on here, including me with better than average graff skills would do work for just about anyone for the right price...master p could offer you a mil...WOULD YOUR BROKE ASS TURN IT DOWN? (not a dis to anyone, just stating the truth)

to sell out... I think if you are compromising what you stand for, what you started for, and what you ultimate goal was, then you are selling out. I think that there are quite a few writers who started in hopes of using graff as a catapult into some other type of scene or work or whatevs.Graff for them was something to market themselves with to get into art shows,clothes, etc...And I think these people were sellouts from the get go. Others wind up in situations where they can make money off their art....kool...People are dumb kinda...they will jock whatever they see alot..no dis, but like the andre the giant posters..people jock the fuck outta those and don't really know why, besides the fact they see it everywhere..just like Coke, pepsi...etc..whatever is mass marketed to them, they buy. So as a writer, if you are able to sell some shit, you are a lucky one.You took different steps in the graff game..and chances are you did paint other things besides tags, and letters. You probably got a mean set of characters and a dope background thing going on..people like pretty pictures and faces..not words they can not read...

But if you are a writer....letter man, than chances are it will take a long time before you are economically viable to the masses and selling out ..meaning..getting money for your work, won't really happen too often. Characters made of plastic, are not WRITING....and are not letters...when they start making letter sets of certain writers fonts, let me know..I will be first to try and sell them mine..until then...If you can hustle...get your hustle on..I still make talk shit about you, but fuck it....money is money...and we all gotta eat....and sushi si my expensive habit...

Guest WebsterUno

amen to bojangles and cleansheets.

Jiggas iz broke these days.

It aint easy being cheesy!

I see no harm in painting a legal piece, as

long as you are making a statement.

Like painting for the community and the kids.

Guest MR BOJANGLES

right on webster... im workin some community shit now and then. ill tell you what, the rock and roll hall of fame pays me 100 dollars for 15 minutes of TALKING baout graff twice a month. beat that.

there are companys that pay people to put posters and stickers up for them- I think that I could ignore the guilt as long as I get some new kicks, big ol' sack o' weeed, a haircut at the topless barber-shop and a couple bens in the bank.:crazy:

Archived