google, now planning to take over the internet for real

iloveboxcars

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/10/google-to-launch-1gbps-isp-service-in-select-markets-at-competi/

Engadget wrote:

Google's always tiptoed around directly providing internet access to consumers with things like free airport WiFi ands the free WiFi network it runs in Mountain View, but today the company announced that it's getting in the game for real with the launch of a fiber-based ISP service that'll offer 1Gbps speeds at "competitive prices" to select markets. The idea is to provide next-gen access to between 50,000 and 500,000 people and basically see what happens -- and, as you'd expect, the new network will be a poster child for Google's pro-net-neutrality efforts. Sounds good to us, but we've all got a ways to go before Eric Schmidt comes over with the lightpipe -- Google's just now asking for "interested communities" to apply, and launch markets will be announced later this year. Video after the break.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

In related news Obama announced that he would be selling the USA to Google for a whopping 11.4 trillion dollars, with the majority of the money going to China. When Google's CEO Eric Schmit was asked what he would do with Iraq and Afghanistan he replied, "Outsourcing, duh."

I'd be beyond psyched if there was a GOOD internet service that didn't try to fuck you over on paying for a phone line or cable or hit you with a bunch of fucking charges for dumb bullshit. I currently don't pay for internet or cable, but i'd definitely be willing to shell out a reasonable amount for faster service and keep my current cable situation.

I approve of google.

Chrome is ok. Ive been happy with Gmail, Google Voice, their mapping etc. I say give it a try. I mean other companies arent going to be happy because Google is trying to monopolize the whole thing but fuck it theyre doing a good job and are providing good things so far.

They should come to my area...county communications company has a monopoly over the whole area no allowing any other competitor in..Im stuck with shitty DSL.