Philosophy

bobobi11

Okay with all of the different threads that have been heating up we have really been having a pretty strong philisophical discussion.

My questions:

1) Do you believe you have control over your own destiny or do you believe everything is preordained?

2) Do you believe that people are a product of environment or heredity?

I think you have control of your destiny and I believe you are a combination of environment and heredity. What are your thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Pilau Hands

I'm long-winded, but out of breath.

I believe I have control over my own destiny, with the exception of, as cracked said, certain external happenings. i suppose that means i believe it to the extent that i don't believe in astrology...even though i read my horoscope once in a while and feel odd.

i'm not sure about that heredity part. i do believe it's a mix of both, but to what measure...eh. when i was younger, and i realized for the first time that i am the sum total of everything i've experienced in my life...it knocked me over for a bit. in cases like alcoholism though...i'm not a scientist, and i haven't read nearly enough to be informed.

I am in control of my own destiny. I have to be. I dont even want to think that it would be possible that someone knew what was going to happen to me before I did. All the mistakes, decisions... and they knew it before me. Although if we live in a closed universe, then everything is repeating itself over and over. There was a scientist a while ago who thought that everything was in a closed universe, and that everything kept repeating itself, so he went insane.

Heredity or Environmet...

chaos. chaos shapes a person to the very T. Because I laugh today, I started walking to the next place at a different time than if I was angry, and those few steps can effect me... I could see a girl that I have a crush on, or I could see someone that I dont like.

little things that we discard entirly are those that shape us. Of course big things in someones life will effect them more... but everything effects us.

I agree with what you are saying Harpo. Thats why I think we have control of our destiny. It's not just the big decisions that shape our life, it is the every minute, small, don't even think of it decisions that cause everything to happen the way it does.

as far as things that arein my direct control such as asking kelly kapowski to the prom I have control over. Yet I do not have control over answer and reaction to this situation. So to an extent I have a boundary of control with surrounds me yet I can not control some of the reprocussions of said choices other than to just not make any move to that choice with may cause said reprocussions..still with me?, good.

now as far as environment vs heredity there is no way to not let both of these things influence you in your every day life. I grew up lower middle class in a non confrontational environment watching my parents sacrifice all they could for me and my sister. I feel that going through those hard times and living in an environment where I see these things happening has had and will bear influence on the way I act twards people, my parents, and other things that I can't think to name. I also feel that I inherited somet hings from my parents such as my dad and his youthful enjoyment of mischevious activities, and my mothers need to create.

I wonder if kelly kapowski will go to the prom with me.

1) I control my destiny. If this is not the absolute truth, then i'll keep lying to myself, cuz believing this will make me fight for what i want to be, regardless of what has been laid out for me. i'm a fighter.

2)We are products of both heredity AND environment. this is a fact. Just study behaviorial biology, and some psychology.

for some odd reason i feel life is an rpg. think of final fantasy12345678910. everything you do leads to a ceartin path / ending. in the end we all end up in the same spot ...............................its just how we choose to get to our own individual endings that is the trip.

another belief i have is we create each other............from birth we are blank no memory no emotions empty file space. the minute we exit the womb we begin to recieve emotions/ data/ memories from those around us thus forming who we will become later through means of the spoken word. later on we transfer our collective knowledge to another person. you see i believe we are all linked some how ,carrying a piece of someone with us. ever feel when u meet a person u feel like youve known them forever. well maybe they are carrying around your thoughts emotions that they got thru the millions of people they interact with that got it from you. i feel we are bonded by one central thought or idea.

sorry if this dosent make since i did'nt know how to word it right

Archived