how to eat a watermelon. ya'll been doing it wrong this whole time

El Vergudo

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont eat pizza very much. Even growing up pizza was very rare...

Cereal is my thing. Ever since I could barely talk I was all about cereal. breakfast lunch and dinner. You know how grandmas buy their grandchildren cookies n shit...well my brother and sister got cookies...I got a box or 2 of my favorite cereal. Not that sugar fruit loop shit, I liked the healthy stuff with the dried fruits and nuts.

I'm Italian, so I don't think I'm qualified to answer this as we have the best food on the planet.

I'd imagine, though, that WASP white people probably eat alot of bland ass shit

why italians always acting like they aren't white? im portuguese and we are closer to fucking africa then you are. and you never hear us say that shit.

For fuck sake.

Not this Italian/white argument again.

Leave it at those 2 posts please.

HONKY ASS WOPS!

Thank you Italy for pizza.

Greeks...eh, gyros and homos? /nh

Portuguese...Brazil?

you'll be wanting to thank us for great soups and sausages. Linguica and what not.

I don't act like I'm not white at all...I've actually argued with people on here who try to say that.

Italians are definitely white but we, the Portagees, Greeks, etc etc are different from the WASPier whites

I'd agree with that. You guys are wogs. The people with English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh backgrounds are the true white people as far as I'm concerned.

The germans/swedish/russians are on some euro bullshit.

To put it another way calling a greek person a white boy is like calling an indian a nigger.

Sounds racist but thats the way i see it.

Nasty ass food---

a documentary should be made about what is the traditional caucasion food---

I'm not racist, I love me some white bitches---but seriously they don't know how to cook

that's fucking retarded. granted there are a lot of lazy ass fucking white people that can't cook. but i cook my ass off. burgers hot dogs are staples of american cuisine, along with cioppino pot pies, meat loaf, the thing is a lot of these are interpretations of other cuisines meat loaf would be considered a pate terrine by the french. cioppino is spanish/italian of sorts. if you want to know what white people eat look up different countries cuisines and you'll see all sorts of familiar items.

White bitches be boiling cabbage. Heating up frozen pot pies.

Yeah that's another thing white people love, is pies filled with meat & vegetables.

in michigan...and more specifically the upper peninsula of michigan we call them pasties. my boy tells me there is a pastie shop in l.a. i forget where though.

shit taste like beef stew in a pocket sandwich made of flakey crust.

tons of pepper...which i hate.

mmmm pasties........

last year my friend took me up to escanaba and somehow i managed to get drunk and walk into a skinhead tattoo shop while eating 2 pasties at the same time and ask for a hannah montana trampstamp... she and the workers didnt find it funny at all

but the history of the pastie is really cool....as well as the story of the black family from chicago that helped build large portion of the camp site up there.....turns out my friends family had a big part in building that town also and they have hands down the greatest pawn shops i have ever seen

but pasties made anyplace else than the U.P just dont taste right...not on the cheesteak status but i think its the water..... cause when i came home and went to piggly wiggly and bought some they just didnt do it for me

northern cali and pennsylvania have SO many racists... its wild

when ever i see that shit on tv or the net its from one of those places...

also, i too would like to know the origin of why blacks and watermelon go hand and hand, alot of black americana shit on ebay from the 30s and 40s has a ton of them with imagery of a black eating or doing something with watermelon, it makes no sense to me...

it was really really really popular to have these items in your home all over the country. a lot of the the people in michigan have roots in the south since there was a huge flood of southerners moving here for the auto boom back in the day. because of this ...ive see some real crazy shit at yard and garage sales. there is this one suburb of detroit....only 15 mins on the freeway out of downtown....they have a huge garage sale where people set up tables in a parking structure to sell shit for a weekend. me and a friend went one year to see if we could find any come ups and what do we see....

...tons of trinkets and wall hangings that had either "mammy" or "pickaninny" characters depicted on them.

EDIT:SORRY FOR THE LONG WINDED STORY.

found this online:

In the Southern United States, pickaninny was long used to refer to the children of African slaves or (later) of African American citizens. While this use of the term was popularized in reference to the character of Topsy in the 1852 book Uncle Tom's Cabin, the term was used as early as 1831 in an anti-slavery tract "The History of Mary Prince, a West Indian Slave, related by herself" published in Edinburgh, Scotland. The term was still in some popular use in the US as late as the 1960s; while it has largely fallen out of use and is now considered offensive, the term is still part of the American lexicon.

Although the term was used generally, it came to refer to the associated stereotype of African American children. "Picaninnies had bulging eyes, unkempt hair, red lips and wide mouths into which they stuffed huge slices of watermelon."

The Picaninny was distinguished by its young age, male or female.

found this too

The origins of these stereotypes are unclear. They may have begun as Southern stereotypes and then evolved into Black stereotypes. It's also possible that these evolved out of American slavery. Numerous primary sources chronicle Black resistance to slavery through "silent sabotage," or, day-to-day acts of resistance. Stealing from the master was one example. It seems logical that, given that food would be among the most desirable of items a slave would pilfer, and chickens and watermelons would have been commonly available. Solomon Northup, for example, tells of being put in charge of punishing slaves who got into the master's watermelon patch. Rather than carry out the punishment, Northup had the slaves show him the way to the patch. The connecting of Blacks to chicken and watermelon was done in a way to dehumanize Blacks and subject them to ridicule. This process helped contribute to prejudice and discrimination. Surprisingly, many young people are unaware of the long history of these stereotypes, while some older Black people refuse to eat watermelon because of that history. And yet the stereotype still exists. In 1989, while stationed at a Marine Air Station in Yuma, Arizona, I was standing in line at the chow hall and noticed a particular theme in the day's cuisine. The main offerings that day were fried chicken, black-eyed peas, and watermelon. I soon realized, to my horror, that it was Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. I do not know if this gesture was intended as a racist joke, or if the head cook really thought that offering such food was a way of honoring Dr. King.