HELP RESTORE STYLE WARS

webmaster

some of us just don't give a shit about dpi or hd.

the history is captured on my tape just fine for me. people who are genuinely interested in the history of graffiti will take it for what it is. if they can't be bothered by non-hd quality, then fuck 'em anyhow.

and 500k? sorry, thats fucking absurd. wait 2 years and it will be 10x cheaper. (based on nothing more than my experience with the cost of everything)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$500,000 is really not a lot of money if people from all around the world would donate. Im sure they would gather up the money in no time without this film alot of peoples graffiti career would have never taken off

That's what I'm saying. It's not even just writers that this shit influenced. You're talking about a whole bunch of people who saw this shit on PBS and got psyched on what was going on. I think I was like 8 when this came on PBS. I had no idea about hip hop at the time. I remember watching 3-2-1 contact and seeing a commercial for Style Wars, "Tonight at 7pm: Style Wars, the blah blah blah blah." I remember watching it with my parents, and them talking about how dangerous NYC was and all that junk. But as a kid I was just amped on the trains and break dancing. If anything, that was my first introduction to hip hop and it stuck. A few years later "Yo Mtv Raps!" dropped and it was on from there.

So yeah, Style Wars is important to more than just writers and for more reasons then just teaching kids how to "Cap" someone.

and 500k? sorry, thats fucking absurd. wait 2 years and it will be 10x cheaper. (based on nothing more than my experience with the cost of everything)

In a few years it will cost more and be less effective because the film don't stop deteriorating and gets more expensive to restore the worse it is.

The cost isn't just digitizing it, it's the labor intense process of cleaning it up and restoring it frame by frame.

This isn't just about transferring to HD.

In a few years it will cost more and be less effective because the film don't stop deteriorating and gets more expensive to restore the worse it is.

The cost isn't just digitizing it, it's the labor intense process of cleaning it up and restoring it frame by frame.

Yeah the process is a lot more in depth than just:

83373642332848472.jpg

That's what I'm saying. It's not even just writers that this shit influenced. You're talking about a whole bunch of people who saw this shit on PBS and got psyched on what was going on. I think I was like 8 when this came on PBS. I had no idea about hip hop at the time. I remember watching 3-2-1 contact contact and seeing a commercial for Style Wars, "Tonight at 7pm: Style Wars, the blah blah blah blah." I remember watching it with my parents, and them talking about how dangerous NYC was and all that junk. But as a kid I was just amped on the trains and break dancing. If anything, that was my first introduction to hip hop and it stuck. A few years later "Yo Mtv Raps!" dropped and it was on from there.

So yeah, Style Wars is important to more than just writers and for more reasons then just teaching kids how to "Cap" someone.

i was thinking the same thing. even if i had absolutely nothing to do with graffiti i would love this film. its still a timeless documentary, i spoke to an ex-gfs father about it, dude was an architect, and loved the film. i was going to buy a light table a few years ago and sure enough the film came up in conversation, while i was haggling, its respected outside the context of rapletters.

if you know nothing or care nothing of graffiti this is still a great piece of work that captured NYC in its heydey.

its bigger then just hiphop.

I have no money to send them so my pocket ain't what they're hoping to reach.

But I do see the good in all of this. I think they should get people from that era to throw down some work, then sell it on the site. Put that money back into the piggy bank, then get more work to sell. Have Cap do some throws on paper and sell them. Sell some old blackbook pages for good money or prints of Henry's photos. I think that stuff would generate some buzz and get some money flowing in for them.

In ten years the original print will be 33% worse than it is now. DVD/VHS might be good enough for most of you but it's far from archival quality. But since you don't care, have fun trying to watch that 3rd-gen-recorded-from-PBS-on-a-recycled-VHS-tape copy with your grandchildren in 30 years.

Earl- asking Channel Zero to do this is pointless. You're appealing to the same goofballs that talked shit on people donating money to help out Haitian folks after the earthquake. The only way you could get them to open their minds/wallets is if there was something in it for them and/or it had something to do with Gucci Mane, Xanax, or tits.

However, talking to people who actually HAVE $500K might work. I'm sure if they approached the right people (The Seventh Letter, RVCA, Mark Ecko) they would get somewhere. Hell, they might even be able to get a federal grant based on cultural and historical significance.

I guess me being older and a lot less passionate about graffiti makes me notwant to donate. Hell, I haven't ventured into the graffiti section of 12oz. in a few years. The last shitty piece i did was over a decade ago. Facepalm.

a lot of ch.0 is kinda over the graff'n'dance it seems/i'd assume

so i hope this thread is getting posted/sticky'd in the other forums

They should try contacting the Smithsonian preservation division and maybe they could subsidize the costs, or any other private or governmental preservation entity to subsidize the funding for this project. Or perhaps a more local (NY state or city) historical preservation society, as it would be more relevant. It is part of American history and should be regarded as such.

That said, me personally I don't have to see it in HD. I know that's a big deal to some people, but in my opinion, what's most important is seeing it period -- experiencing the story, elements, interviews, the whole vibe, art, etc. That comes first. Being able to see CAP's sweat pores in HD I think is not as important.