Seriously? Gothic Kittens???

the_gooch

Warning, semi graphic pics

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1248211/Gothic-kittens-Holly-Crawford-accused-piercing-cats-selling-online-goes-trial-animal-cruelty.html

By Mail Foreign Service

Last updated at 5:56 PM on 03rd February 2010

Metal protrudes from their little bodies, pierced through their ears and necks with a 14-gauge needle - usually reserved for the thick skin of cattle.

And at least one of these 'maimed and disfigured' kittens also had an elastic band tied around its tail - an attempt to stem the blood flow so that the tail eventually falls off.

The woman accused of turning three helpless kittens into 'gothic cats' by piercing them up to 10 times went on trial in the U.S. yesterday, charged with animal cruelty.

article-1248211-0823A4DD000005DC-631_468x286.jpg Cruel: One of the three kittens seized at Holly Crawford's house in Pennsylvania in 2008. Its ears have been pierced

article-1248211-0823A4F4000005DC-114_468x347.jpg 'Maimed': Another of the kittens is held by an official, piercings clearly visible in its ears and the back of its neck

Dog groomer Holly Crawford, 35, was allegedly selling the pathetic animals online for hundreds of dollars.

Yesterday a vet told the court that the kittens had been maimed and disfigured, and could have died.

Melinda Merck, an animal cruelty investigator and veterinarian, said the ear piercings altered the cats’ hearing.

The piercings at the back of their necks and base of tails hampered balance and jumping, local media quoted her as saying.

'They were maimed and disfigured,' she said, adding that if infections had become severe, the three-month-old kittens could have died.

Dr Merck said piercing the kittens' necks produced a feeling of submission that would linger with the silver metal jewellery.

article-1248211-0823A4EE000005DC-253_468x395.jpg 'Disfigured': An image of a piercing in the back of one of the kittens' necks.

article-1248211-0823A4E6000005DC-12_233x383.jpg 'Not acting maliciously': Holly Crawford

Mother cats pick up their young from the scruff of the neck, she said, because pressure on the sensitive nerves there leads to submissive action.

'No matter what they tried, they could not escape from this,' she said. 'It would make them feel as if they were constantly being bitten.'

A worker from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), also testified how she was alerted by an anonymous caller.

Amanda Kyle said she pretended to be interested in buying a kitten. She took pictures, and asked how the procedure was done.

Ms Kyle told the court she was told the kittens were pierced with a 14-gauge needle, which veterinarians usually use for cattle because their skin is so thick.

She said she was also told a rubber band was used to dock the tail of one kitten, stemming the blood flow so the tail falls off.

Ms Kyle said Crawford told her one of the kittens had ripped out a piercing and Crawford was waiting for it to heal before she pierced it again.

She claimed Crawford said she had pierced the kittens because it was 'neat'.

Prosecutors are accusing Crawford of inflicting pain and suffering on the kittens in a cruel bid to make money.

Crawford's lawyers, however, are insisting that she was 'not acting maliciously'.

The woman's home outside the town of Wilkes-Barre in Pennsylvania was raided in December, 2008, after the Peta investigation.

Crawford has insisted that she used sterilised needles and made sure that the kittens were healing properly.

She said she wasn't trying to hurt them.

Humane officer Carol Morrison testified the cost to rehabilitate the kittens was upwards of $1,000.

In an interview with The Associated Press a year ago, Crawford said she didn’t think there was a difference between piercing a cat or a human.

Similar charges against Crawford’s boyfriend, William Blansett, 37, of Sweet Valley, were withdrawn in February.

The trial is set to continue today.

Wow, this woman is out of her fuckin' mind! Someone should inflict some unwanted pain on this headcase!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This bitch probably works for PETA, it's all a plant. There was a "PETA investigation"? Like when PETA 'rescued' all those shelter dogs and then let them starve to death, it's just sensationalist crap.

I mean really, rehabilitating them? Why rehabilitate these already fucked up kittens when they can just euthanize them like they do to so many healthy undeformed kittens everyday?

Everyone run home and get your brooms, I call shenanigans.

I dont agree with this at all but in one way Im pretty sure it didnt cause the kittens an excess of pain (I didnt read the whole thing). It is wrong of her to be doing this then selling the cats. She would of been smarter to just market "cat jewelry" and just let the people buying it do what they pleased.

Stupid lady.

Sweet, you just reminded me!

Tomorrow is euthanizing day at the animal shelter where I have community service! Sometimes those bags full of cats can be quite heavy. Hopefully we can get them all out before lunch time.

I wish I was lying. Trust.

Actually used to work with a chick that had to deal with this shit...not really the best of jobs for community service.

This seems like another attempt to change the sovereign law that animals are property.

I know it's hard to deal with but animals have little more legal standing than furniture. For all the talk about 'cruelty' there seems to be no real cruel intent, just stupidity. I know farmers sometimes use elastic bands or strings to neuter their animals, but nowdays, there's a much more effecient device. It's a really brutal pair of pliers that just crushes the gonads with one good squeeze, and that's the way that's done. As far as docking tails, I dunno to much about that but I thought it was supposed to be done much earlier in the animal's life with some snipper device but I don't know if there's a law that applies.

As for the piercings, I've seen news stories about mothers having infants ears pierced, never heard of any sort of convition. As a nation we regularly tatoo animals but tatooing a human minor is an offense. Do we want this double standard? We want the people in court with the tattoo face baby to use the 'baby animals get tatooed' defense? It's the same shit I'm bitching about giving corporations the same rights as humans... These things are NOT human.

It sounds cold to say but it's just the way it has to be.

"Your honor, that corporation called my dog 'butt ugly' and now none of the bitches will 'marry' him. I respectfully request $4.5m for slander, mental cruelty and loss of income."

What's more, even for Wilkes Barre standards that chick doesn't look 'Goth' in the slightest, she looks like a dirty hippy.

• Like 1

You gotta be pretty dumb to do shit like that.

I am glad there are animal cruelty laws. Just because some one isn't acting maliciously doesn't mean they aren't acting cruelly. Also, comparing getting a small child's ears pierced (which is also fucking stupid) to fucking up a cat's neck, etc is pretty redundant.

Pretty sure it's now illegal to dock a dog's tail in Australia unless for a medical procedure. All the dog show people were pissed off because, well, show dogs have their tails docked!!

Fucking idiots, cut your own body parts up and leave the animal alone.

See, I personally agree with that position Christo-f but not from a legal standpoint.

Legally it opens the doors to a raft of crap. People's animals get hurt by other people everyday, the vast majority of these cases are obvious accidents but that doesn't stop people from suing for 'pain and suffering' on their animal's behalf. I think there should be a reduced award (if only based on the stress it causes the humans around the animal) but animals are chattel. The ONLY difference, legally, is that there's no form of cruelty to books or cruelty to chairs legislation. We recognize that animals feel pain and therefore the cruelty statutes but it really has to cross over into truly negligent treatment. I have no problem with 'the people' bringing charges against the bullshit 'PETA shelter dog' perpetrators (not gonna happen) or the various puppy mills or animal hoarders who maintain obviously inhumane conditions (ironic word, that, inhumane).

The thing is, apart from the piercing the kittens aren't covered in feces or starved to the bone, she seems to be a genuinely misguided idiot or, as I previously surmised, a politically concieved 'case waiting to happen'.

Also, people who think kittens need to be "spruced up" are fucking idiots that don't deserve to have kittens.

How can you take something that is designed to be the cutest thing in the universe and think that you need to add on to it and make them look "neat".

That chick doesn't know shit about making kittens look "neat".

When I want my cat to look cuter than cute, I put a sweater or hat or other zany accessory on them for about two minutes and then remember that all they need to be cute are fur and whiskers and those tiny little kitten legs that I just want to shove in my mouth and taste the adorable.

this shit sucks ass but smart actually has a point

everyone who gets upset about this should remember that a chicken's beak is basically burned off when it's still a chick so when they pen them in insanely cramped quarters they won't peck each other to death

it's god fuckin awful what we do to our food. not too mention leather and fur.

but people get mad pissed when the animal is cute