The Trip Hop / Acid Jazz / Downtempo Thread

compton red

Ohhhh wow, haha. These are amazing. Kenny Dixon Jr. - Winter Breeze reminds me of the music from Super Monkey Ball 2.

Larry head's remix of Massive Attack - Any Love

not so much deep house but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiDWZiHrhGY

isotonik - everywhere i go

lood - shout n shout

people underground - my love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JP3OW3Pdk0

the sunburst band - garden of love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwG4e_c5fYI

mr finger - can you feel it

jestofunk - i'm gonna love you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFJ6CkzIuI&feature=related

larry heard - missing you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pgh4P8_UCw&feature=related

kerri chandler - atmosphere

AMATEUR compared to what you just posted

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Johnson - Hear The Music

I'm going to post a bunch of Cricco Castelli --but this album is non-stop solid tracks. One of the best purchases I made.

(this was one of my first records.)

DJ Sneak - Keep on Groovin' (Ian's Fierce Mix)

Ian Pooley is a fucking beast when it comes to production. Check his site and mixes HERE.

Ian Pooley - Quatro

I have that album, Happy Shades was the reason I bought it. Fucking classic.

Shazz - El Camino Part 2 (Organ Dub)

Shazz - El Camino (Part 2 Original)

Pagan was a good label

Terry Francis - Loving You

I think Terry Francis did a track called "Mr. Roachclip" on Pagan. I can't find it, but that track is fucking awesome and I'm pissed I never bought it. It samples the Cheech and Chong skit "Mr. Roachclip." Unfortunately it ain't on youtube.

Kevin Yost is always pretty reliable. He did a bunch of good work on Guidance.

Kevin Yost (Days Like This)

Kevin Yost - Amor Unico

Kevin Yost - It's Getting Bigger

Glasgow Underground Recordings was another good label.

4 Am (Shipwrecked Swag Primitive Version Pt2)

Muzique Tropique (Soul Cruising)

LHK Productions.Under Your Skin

This next track is another all time classic in my book:

I-Cube: Disco Cubism (Daft Punk Remix)

I highly recommend buying this CD or just stealing it online:

MusicCatalog%5CD%5CDoc%20Martin%20-%20Unlock%20Your%20Mind%5CDoc%20Martin%20-%20Unlock%20Your%20Mind.jpg

Mousse T - More I Get

Mousse T. - Move Ya!

I:Cube - Deep Republic

i:cube - Pooh Pah (unfortunately this is the only video on youtube for this track. Ignore video game noise)

Glenn Underground - Flu Bug

Glenn Underground - Easy Grooves

This next one was another one of my first records.

As was this one, bought them on the same day at the same shop.

Chicago Underground Council - 2 Days

Boo Williams - End Of Days

Boo Williams-Last call

DJ Sneak - Latin Seoul

Latin Seoul is another record I kick myself for not having. Doc Martin opens that "Unlock your Mind" mix with this and some great sample. DJ Sneak is another beast when it comes to production. Just a steady fucking flow of bad ass tracks. If you get a chance to hear him play live --TAKE IT!

DJ Sneak - Show Me the Way

DJ Sneak - Quincy Groove

Furious George - Feel Alright

AMATEUR compared to what you just posted

Yeah, but I own most of these tracks. I was in my 20's when all this was coming out and you were probably watching Dora the Explorer or something. If anything, I hope I can inspire and educate you with these posts. I could keep going, but I'll be a broken back bastard by morning.

No 40 pages --that was all a lie.

Glad you liked them. I think a lot of people shit on house for the wrong reasons. But if you like soul and you like dancing, house music is where it's at. I never post about it on here because I figured most kids would just call "faggot" or "oooontz oooooontz oooooontz" size 7 rainbow colors. But I'll stand behind the stuff I posted as real music that has real fucking soul. That's what music is all about anyways. If music doesn't have soul, it's just another Justin Beiber with a price tag for the stupid.

I actually fell off on house music around 99. The club scene where I was then, was turning more progressive and the guido fucks were ruining everything. Deep house was always put in the back room and nobody would be back there because they just wanted to do the fucking running man to progressive hard house up front. So I stopped buying house tracks, and started buying breaks. I've always loved soul and funk, so it was more for my own listening pleasure. Then in 2006 I moved to upstate New York and met two friends of mine who did a Sunday night at this bar. Both of them were house DJs but were playing a mix of everything. So I was about to sell my turntables and they asked me if I wanted to start playing with them. Shortly after that, breakdancers started showing up and I kind of found a new reason to keep buying records. So one night one of the B-Boys asked if we had any house tracks, and I started playing some of my house records for them. That went over really well, and there is nothing more rewarding then watching a group of people enjoy the music you love.

(those aren't the people I played for, just a representation of house dancers.)

Now I'm kind of in the process of getting back into it again. I've linked up with some really supportive people on Daily Session who have gotten me back into playing house. I still can't mix worth shit, but they've motivated me to want to try harder. I've also relinked with an old friend who has been playing and producing since 1996 when we met. He's doing really good so I'm trying to link up with him again. He was actually one of the first people to introduce me to deep house, so I'm sure he'll motivate me like he did in the past.

All in all, house music is a great sound and culture and people shit on it blindly before seeing the positive that it's foundation is set in. The house scene is all about unity and respect and being able to be who you are without any bullshit. As long as you enjoy the music and respect everyone with an open mind, you're all good. It's not a gay thing or a straight thing, it's a house thing. haha. I'm not perfect, but it did help me to become a better person.

I've had a really shitty day today, that's kind of left me in a real bad place mentally. Usually I'll get through stuff like that by turning to a vice of drink or smoke, but I can't do that right now so I'm going to try and play some records to cheer myself up. I know it's corny to say this, but this music is extremely therapeutic and that's why I'm so happy I got into it.

Earl you mean mixing like this?:

I've wanted to do this for a while but its a pain in the ass getting all the materials/space etc etc.

I love this vanessa freeman track

Also bluey from incognito produced this girls album i think. I find it quite pleasant:

Btw did you ever get to go to the tunnel/NASA?

Yeah, kind of like that but I don't play CDs. I play vinyl so I have no clue what the dude is doing with those machines.

If you want to get into it, I highly recommend starting now. At your age, you're getting into it at the right time. Just stay with it. It takes a while. I still suck at it and the reason why is because I've given up on it numerous times. I also don't practice enough or listen to my house records enough, which I need to start doing. It's all about knowing your records. So if I were you, I'd just start saving up to get those CDJ's or Serato. If you go the serato route, you'll need turntables anyway and you do both MP3 and vinyl. If you go the CD route, you'll just have to burn a bunch of MP3's or buy CDs. Either way, it is an expensive hobby. The initial investment for gear is a bitch, but once you have it you're good. Then it's just about buying music. But you can always steal music off line if you do CDs or MP3's.

That Joe Claussell track is real nice. I have no clue about new house tracks so I appreciate hearing it. When tribal drums are used right, it's always good. I used to love certain DJs that had drummers play along with them live. That shit always blew me away.

As for the tunnel and NASA --I never came to NYC accept for a couple random times. I stuck around New England mostly. That's where I was living when I was into all that and Boston had a really good house scene in the mid to late 90's. I do want to go to Twilo one night and check it out. I hear that's one of the best spots in New York for house. I also have a friend who's a member of David Mancuso's Loft and he's going to bring my girlfriend and I to one of those parties. That is something I'm extremely excited about because he is a fucking legend and supposedly his parties are insane.

So you know, you really don't need much space for equipment, especially if you're not buying records. I've recently run out of space for all my records and need to do something about it once I get a job and start shopping again. But if you're doing CDs or any of that, you'll just need a desk for the tables and mixer, the amp/receiver can go under it, and the speakers you can put where ever you want. Space isn't an issue with most set ups.

This is my set up.

100_1152.jpg

The photo is almost 3 years old now. The walls are grey and the bins can't hold everything anymore. The top left one is full and all house and the rest is all soul/funk/hip hop/reggae/jazz. The speakers are also stacked on top of each other so it looks like one big tall speaker instead. I also have two more crates of records in a closet that is a hodge podge of shit I don't use anymore. If you aren't playing vinyl, you won't need all that space.

I just got another CDJ, so maybe I'll have a mix for all of you in the near future. I just can't do vinyl these days. No space and not enough storage. I just DLed like 6 or 7 tracks for less than $20, so I'm all good with that. Some straight fucking heaters too. But eventually I wanna go the Serrato route.

I'm just stubborn. I can't change my ways. I've never messed with either CDJ's or Serato --so I don't even know what I'm missing.

I also just love digging. Nothing beats digging in a physical store. But I haven't bought a house record in over 10 years now. I wouldn't even know what labels to look for anymore.

• Like 1

I have been obsessed with guy boratto this dude production is too clean.

On another note. past month i have opend up to "deep house", tho i find the "funky" sound not as enjoyable. I think its the tech that im loving. trentemoller has some amazing stand out tracks. but this track me short of breath for a good while!!

Tell me if im on the right path with the "tech" element of deep house cos this shits just 2cool.

Firstly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6k8rYeYw44

Secondly

• Like 1

If we're going to start posting deep house in here, I'll have this thread at 40 pages by morning.

agree. i def have the deep house in the same crates with downtempo.

works plenty well together, might as well put them together on here as well.

and also, wholeheartedly co-signing the trente moller mentioned in the post above. dude is a master with it. if you havent checked it yet "latenight cab driving"

shits epic.

Shop around and look for used ones. I don't know anything about that gear, but I bought my turntables off a friend of mine back in 98. They still work fine for what I do, so it was a worthwhile investment. I also paid almost half of what I would have paid if I bought them new. Look around on Craigslist. Once you buy them, you're pretty good to go unless you want to upgrade.

I just found DJ Okawari today. Really good downtempo tracks:

I agree with you Earl and still dig for older stuff on vinyl of course but getting the second CDJ really just pushed me to get back into music/DJing.. Damn good purchase, but when I get my money right.. I'm going Serato with turntables so I can go back and forth.

I agree with you Earl and still dig for older stuff on vinyl of course but getting the second CDJ really just pushed me to get back into music/DJing.. Damn good purchase, but when I get my money right.. I'm going Serato with turntables so I can go back and forth.

I've been toying with getting Serato, but I don't have the money right now. Plus, I think I'd need another lap top for that. I have a feeling it would crash the one I have now.

I'd love to start with vinyl. The only issue with that is space since I'm going off to college in about 2 years and my moms gonna bitch at me about having that stuff around. I'd be soo paranoid to keep them in my dorm room or wherever i'd stay. I need a job.

To be honest, unless you have a shit load of money coming in, you won't acquire vinyl that fast. A milk crate is all you'd need and that can fit in a closet. Unless of course your parents are going to rent out your room when you're in school or something. If not, I'm sure it wouldn't be that much of a burden.

But like IOU and others have said, it might be good to get CDJs or Serato just because it is becoming the standard norm --unfortunately! haha

DJ's get sick of "losing" records at the airport.. Lugging around all that weight. There are tons of reasons to change. To be honest the average club goer(even the underground ones) don't notice the change in sound or any of the reasons people stay vinyl. I'm over it. As long as the party is rocked, I don't give a fuck.

But I still will collect vinyl.

• Like 1