Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
compton red

The Trip Hop / Acid Jazz / Downtempo Thread

Jesus christ, someone needs to tell me to shut up. I need a prompt on my monitor that says "COME ON SON" or something. I typed way too much. Sobriety sucks!

This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Earl you mean mixing like this?:

I've wanted to do this for a while but its a pain in the ass getting all the materials/space etc etc.

I love this vanessa freeman track

Also bluey from incognito produced this girls album i think. I find it quite pleasant:

Btw did you ever get to go to the tunnel/NASA?

Yeah, kind of like that but I don't play CDs. I play vinyl so I have no clue what the dude is doing with those machines.

If you want to get into it, I highly recommend starting now. At your age, you're getting into it at the right time. Just stay with it. It takes a while. I still suck at it and the reason why is because I've given up on it numerous times. I also don't practice enough or listen to my house records enough, which I need to start doing. It's all about knowing your records. So if I were you, I'd just start saving up to get those CDJ's or Serato. If you go the serato route, you'll need turntables anyway and you do both MP3 and vinyl. If you go the CD route, you'll just have to burn a bunch of MP3's or buy CDs. Either way, it is an expensive hobby. The initial investment for gear is a bitch, but once you have it you're good. Then it's just about buying music. But you can always steal music off line if you do CDs or MP3's.

That Joe Claussell track is real nice. I have no clue about new house tracks so I appreciate hearing it. When tribal drums are used right, it's always good. I used to love certain DJs that had drummers play along with them live. That shit always blew me away.

As for the tunnel and NASA --I never came to NYC accept for a couple random times. I stuck around New England mostly. That's where I was living when I was into all that and Boston had a really good house scene in the mid to late 90's. I do want to go to Twilo one night and check it out. I hear that's one of the best spots in New York for house. I also have a friend who's a member of David Mancuso's Loft and he's going to bring my girlfriend and I to one of those parties. That is something I'm extremely excited about because he is a fucking legend and supposedly his parties are insane.

So you know, you really don't need much space for equipment, especially if you're not buying records. I've recently run out of space for all my records and need to do something about it once I get a job and start shopping again. But if you're doing CDs or any of that, you'll just need a desk for the tables and mixer, the amp/receiver can go under it, and the speakers you can put where ever you want. Space isn't an issue with most set ups.

This is my set up.

100_1152.jpg

The photo is almost 3 years old now. The walls are grey and the bins can't hold everything anymore. The top left one is full and all house and the rest is all soul/funk/hip hop/reggae/jazz. The speakers are also stacked on top of each other so it looks like one big tall speaker instead. I also have two more crates of records in a closet that is a hodge podge of shit I don't use anymore. If you aren't playing vinyl, you won't need all that space.

I just got another CDJ, so maybe I'll have a mix for all of you in the near future. I just can't do vinyl these days. No space and not enough storage. I just DLed like 6 or 7 tracks for less than $20, so I'm all good with that. Some straight fucking heaters too. But eventually I wanna go the Serrato route.

I'm just stubborn. I can't change my ways. I've never messed with either CDJ's or Serato --so I don't even know what I'm missing.

I also just love digging. Nothing beats digging in a physical store. But I haven't bought a house record in over 10 years now. I wouldn't even know what labels to look for anymore.

• Like 1

I have been obsessed with guy boratto this dude production is too clean.

On another note. past month i have opend up to "deep house", tho i find the "funky" sound not as enjoyable. I think its the tech that im loving. trentemoller has some amazing stand out tracks. but this track me short of breath for a good while!!

Tell me if im on the right path with the "tech" element of deep house cos this shits just 2cool.

Firstly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6k8rYeYw44

Secondly

• Like 1

If we're going to start posting deep house in here, I'll have this thread at 40 pages by morning.

agree. i def have the deep house in the same crates with downtempo.

works plenty well together, might as well put them together on here as well.

and also, wholeheartedly co-signing the trente moller mentioned in the post above. dude is a master with it. if you havent checked it yet "latenight cab driving"

shits epic.

Shop around and look for used ones. I don't know anything about that gear, but I bought my turntables off a friend of mine back in 98. They still work fine for what I do, so it was a worthwhile investment. I also paid almost half of what I would have paid if I bought them new. Look around on Craigslist. Once you buy them, you're pretty good to go unless you want to upgrade.

I just found DJ Okawari today. Really good downtempo tracks:

I agree with you Earl and still dig for older stuff on vinyl of course but getting the second CDJ really just pushed me to get back into music/DJing.. Damn good purchase, but when I get my money right.. I'm going Serato with turntables so I can go back and forth.

I agree with you Earl and still dig for older stuff on vinyl of course but getting the second CDJ really just pushed me to get back into music/DJing.. Damn good purchase, but when I get my money right.. I'm going Serato with turntables so I can go back and forth.

I've been toying with getting Serato, but I don't have the money right now. Plus, I think I'd need another lap top for that. I have a feeling it would crash the one I have now.

I'd love to start with vinyl. The only issue with that is space since I'm going off to college in about 2 years and my moms gonna bitch at me about having that stuff around. I'd be soo paranoid to keep them in my dorm room or wherever i'd stay. I need a job.

To be honest, unless you have a shit load of money coming in, you won't acquire vinyl that fast. A milk crate is all you'd need and that can fit in a closet. Unless of course your parents are going to rent out your room when you're in school or something. If not, I'm sure it wouldn't be that much of a burden.

But like IOU and others have said, it might be good to get CDJs or Serato just because it is becoming the standard norm --unfortunately! haha

I dunno why people switch. Seems like popular songs are still released on vinyl. I just think if i ever become a DJ, I don't wanna be a laptop dj haha. vinyl seems more fun anyway. I'm gonna look into all options though.

DJ's get sick of "losing" records at the airport.. Lugging around all that weight. There are tons of reasons to change. To be honest the average club goer(even the underground ones) don't notice the change in sound or any of the reasons people stay vinyl. I'm over it. As long as the party is rocked, I don't give a fuck.

But I still will collect vinyl.

• Like 1

i fucking love that hardrive track. I've probably posted it like 10 times in here hoping someone would recognize it.

Don't be jealous, that really isn't that big of a collection. Even though it's currently overflowing, it's still not that big a collection. I've got friends with 10 times that. That makes me jealous.