Glacier alarm 'regrettable error': UN climate head

lord_casek

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how does my house using electricity or the use of automobiles cause warming on all the other planets in the solar system? HMMMM?

Because not all planets in our solar system are showing global warming. Durrr. Mars is cooling because of its duststorms, Jupiter's warming internally, Pluto's warming because it's mad about something...scientists dont kno, and then Neptunes orbit is 160 years long so it's warming because its just entering summer.

Because not all planets in our solar system are showing global warming. Durrr. Mars is cooling because of its duststorms, Jupiter's warming internally, Pluto's warming because it's mad about something...scientists dont kno, and then Neptunes orbit is 160 years long so it's warming because its just entering summer.

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

Oops you're right. I was thinking of aresol. Dust storm = darker color to the planet = more thermal density.

Which reminds me of our cities of the "urban heat island" effect which basically shows that if winds every night didnt cool cities we wouldnt they'd be unlivable.

Oops you're right. I was thinking of aresol. Dust storm = darker color to the planet = more thermal density.

Which reminds me of our cities, "urban heat island" effect, which basically shows that if winds every night didn't cool our cities they'd be unlivable

Fixed.

Can you explain how it isn't logical?

He made a general statement that our climate goes through dramatic changes over the course of time.

How does this not make sense?

Any sequence can appear to be forming a pattern without excluding the possibility of future divergence from that pattern.

I hope you're trolling Casek. No one is talking about the solar system warming up due to a higher carbon level WITHIN OUR OWN FUCKING ATMOSPHERE!

Trolling? Me? Do you know the definition?

It's funny that they're all warming at the same time isn't it?

Co2 is what plants breathe, btw.

Sure, too bad we cut down so many trees that could potentially sequester more Co2.

In other fun facts, methane is a component of farts and it's also a greenhouse gas.

Isn't plankton the number one converter? Also, I hear the rainforests are growing back.

Wooden resistance?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE50B5CY20090112

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,642199,00.html

Amazon grows back but our belt of rainforests around the equator is still losing about 80,000 acres a year. I dont think the amazon will ever be wiped out because that thing's a weed but the number of species of plants and animals we'll loose in the process is tragic.

And the problem with plankton is how much we pollute the oceans. There's areas in the ocean, thousands of miles away from any form of human life, where there's more plastic particulate than life-- plants or animals.

Would you say that's man attributing to global warming or just god's fault for not making plastic not biodegradable?

Amazon grows back but our belt of rainforests around the equator is still losing about 80,000 acres a year. I dont think the amazon will ever be wiped out because that thing's a weed but the number of species of plants and animals we'll loose in the process is tragic.

And the problem with plankton is how much we pollute the oceans. There's areas in the ocean, thousands of miles away from any form of human life, where there's more plastic particulate than life-- plants or animals.

Would you say that's man attributing to global warming or just god's fault for not making plastic not biodegradable?

LOSE. It's spelled with one O. I'm tired of seeing it spelled with two o's.

As for the 80k loss a year, those are IPCC figures are they not?

Plastic islands: I would like to see articles in something other than SFGate or a greeny website.

Your last question: It's pollution. Blame the U.S. Military, China, India, etc. None of which have regulations and dump anything they want to into our oceans.

I thought for a second there you were gonna pull a Sam Jackson and say that global warming caused the quake in Haiti.

LOSE. It's spelled with one O. I'm tired of seeing it spelled with two o's.

As for the 80k loss a year, those are IPCC figures are they not?

Plastic islands: I would like to see articles in something other than SFGate or a greeny website.

Your last question: It's pollution. Blame the U.S. Military, China, India, etc. None of which have regulations and dump anything they want to into our oceans.

I thought for a second there you were gonna pull a Sam Jackson and say that global warming caused the quake in Haiti.

SFGate, ie the San Francisco Chronicle, is one of the best and biggest newspapers in the nation with numerous pulitzer prize winning articles and journalists. Beyond your usual controversial rhetoric, there's no reason to disregard SFGate from the journalistic community.

Rawdog journalism on the plastic in the oceans: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-1-of-3

As for the rainforest debate, we've already destroyed half of our rainforests. What once covered 14% of our planet is reduced to 6%. That's not going to grow back. When they say they're growing back, we're not talking about the scale it was before man-made deforestation occurred. And we're certainly not talking the CO2 intake capacity of the old rainforest. Rainforests are resilient, but there's too many people in the way for it to ever go back to 14%.

Here's another thing too. Global warming has another horrible side effect: desertification. The droughts you're seeing all over the world have created moving sand dunes in Africa, Middle East, and China. These moving dunes are eventually going to wipe out most of the arable land in these continents and you're going to have hundreds of millions displaced and moving further south into the rainforests. In africa where the impact will be the most severe it's fair to wager most of the rainforests will be deforested for agricultural use. "Regrowing rainforests" is like watching DOW jump a couple points: Doesnt means shit in 10 years.

Here's the thing and I've said it from the beginnin': Im not here to point fingers. Man made or otherwise, climate change is real (90% of scientists say so) and we have the ability to alter the climate. Theres talk and scientific studies of how to turn these dunes into arable land, but it's going to be man who prevents the destruction our environment, not earth hitting some imaginary reset button where everything grows back.

SFGate, ie the San Francisco Chronicle, is one of the best and biggest newspapers in the nation with numerous pulitzer prize winning articles and journalists. Beyond your usual controversial rhetoric, there's no reason to disregard SFGate from the journalistic community.

Rawdog journalism on the plastic in the oceans: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-1-of-3

As for the rainforest debate, we've already destroyed half of our rainforests. What once covered 14% of our planet is reduced to 6%. That's not going to grow back. When they say they're growing back, we're not talking about the scale it was before man-made deforestation occurred. And we're certainly not talking the CO2 intake capacity of the old rainforest. Rainforests are resilient, but there's too many people in the way for it to ever go back to 14%.

Here's another thing too. Global warming has another horrible side effect: desertification. The droughts you're seeing all over the world have created moving sand dunes in Africa, Middle East, and China. These moving dunes are eventually going to wipe out most of the arable land in these continents and you're going to have hundreds of millions displaced and moving further south into the rainforests. In africa where the impact will be the most severe it's fair to wager most of the rainforests will be deforested for agricultural use. "Regrowing rainforests" is like watching DOW jump a couple points: Doesnt means shit in 10 years.

Here's the thing and I've said it from the beginnin': Im not here to point fingers. Man made or otherwise, climate change is real (90% of scientists say so) and we have the ability to alter the climate. Theres talk and scientific studies of how to turn these dunes into arable land, but it's going to be man who prevents the destruction our environment, not earth hitting some imaginary reset button where everything grows back.

I somewhat agree. I think man has done a bunch of shit to the planet. Then again, I think the planet is far stronger than we give it credit for.

On the technological part, I really think some of that stuff is great. Some not so much. I'm of the thinking that in some areas we need to tread lightly.

Did you see that the manmade islands in Dubai are sinking back into the ocean? All that amazing shit we can do to our planet (i.e.: making giant islands shaped like shit) and it can just swallow it up.

edit: re: casek

....i guess? That's what man can do when they assume finite resources are infinite, which eventually is just going to fucking destroy the planet. Just like the other thread where we're talking about the fundmental problems with our economic system, ALL current economic theories dont factor in that natural resources arent in infinite commodity. Its stupid to think a free market can replace ours when it has the same fucking problem: greedy people with a lack of foresight.

This is more what i meant about man saving the climate-change-related crisis