Official Jan 27 Apple Announcement Thread Islate?Itablet?Iphone4.0? Thread................

Poesia [ ] T

Re: Official Jan 27 Apple Announcement Thread Islate?Itablet?Iphone4.0? Thread............

Yeah i agree, i will tell you one thing when i buy one of these i will strongly think about dropping my iphone for a different plan and carrier. Im done with the Iphone as phone with this, it will do everything that i bought the iphone for but i wont have to have such shit service and i might be able to have a nice looking phone again.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Official Jan 27 Apple Announcement Thread Islate?Itablet?Iphone4.0? Thread............

It's going to be a hit with its target audience. Everyone else can stick with their iPhone/laptop and not miss a thing, or complain about what it should have (probably the latter) and not understand the concept of convergence. Most casual users of consumer electronics (who the iPad is aimed at) don't know much about convergence but they seem to like it when they see it.

I'm mixed on the Flash thing. For now the lack of support is inconvenient, but Flash sucks and will eventually be replaced by HTML5.

The browser lock-in still pisses me off...I don't like Safari on the Touch and I can't imagine it being much better of the iPad. Plus the available options for browsers are....yep, virtually all Safari-based. I finally regressed to using iCab because it actually seems to work.

The absence of multi-tasking makes sense for 90% of people who are only going to be doing one thing at one time on the iPad. It does bring up some questions about file access and, say, copying and pasting from a reader into a browser/the lack of a notepad.

No camera...meh. The iPhone camera is crap, no big loss.

I have yet to regret buying my Touch. It's an awesome device and it's the one product Apple makes that I wholeheartedly endorse. The iPad LOOKS cool....I'd consider getting one after it's jailbroken and the price for the base model drops 30-40%.

this is so retarded, pretty much half the internet won't even work on it

i think everyone who was a success last year wants to find out how stupid their audience really is

lil wayne made a rock album, jobs made a really big iphone, obama is gonna paint the white house black just to see if he can get away with it

I don't own a iphone or itouch, I do have a laptop and watch read everything that I have to from it. Why in the fuck would I buy an ipad for? Steve jobs, please stop inventing worthless gadgets and concentrate on a new wardrobe ! Every time I see him with that fucking died out black turtle neck I want just choke that nigga!!!

It's hilarious to me how all these people are calling it a big fail cause it doesn't fulfill their wildest esoteric desires right out of the box. Let's get some things straight.

For one, this is NOT a niche product, this is a mass-market tablet. Tablets are niche because only a niche market needs their particular abilities. So were Blackberrys and smartphones until the iPhone came along. This brings tablet technology to everyone who thought they didn't need one, in a system that Steve Jobs wisely pointed out yesterday 75 million people already know how to use. It would have been stupid to spend time and money working on some fancy new UI for this thing.

It is not a product for designers. The ability to use CS4 on this is completely unnecessary, and requires hardware specs too expensive and physically large to meet the aggressive price point and slim form factor.

Apple is no longer in the hardware business. They are about content delivery; they create new platforms for delivering new kinds of content, make it as simple, neutral, and easy to use as possible, then step back, let people go nuts, and take a share of the profits. If Illustrator/Photoshop can't work on this in its current ideation, apps that scale to the existing specs will show up if the demand is there for it.

I'd like to take one second to show you an illustration my friend made on his freaking non-pressure sensitive tiny ass iPhone:

16735_376653765267_523320267_9971747_3713815_n.jpg

Step up. Amazing shit can be done if you got the skills for it, more so on a 10" screen. Multitouch apps, media, and content, once severely hampered by the iPhone's size, now have nothing to worry about. There will be a lot of awesome shit on the iPad, and it's not Apple's responsibility to develop it (only approve it). You only got the tiiiiiniest glimpse of what's possible contentwise on this platform at yesterday's unveiling.

Camera? Fuck a camera. I already have one on my laptop, one on my phone, two extra webcams, and two point and shoots. I'm not gonna be walking around holding this big ass pad with both hands snapping flicks of shit. I barely ever use skype video (only about a third of Skype calls use video) and having a camera on this won't change that.

4:3 screen is the right choice. Movies are about the only thing that doesn't look better on a 4:3 screen that you hold in your hand. It's better for reading, writing, looking at pictures, etc. Movies can get letterboxed, I don't give a fuck.

Put books, newspapers, and more importantly, college textbooks on this thing, and shit's a wrap.

Apple is sitting back with an evil grin, hearing all this negative feedback, and twiddling their fingers in a "little do they know..." fashion.

- no usb

- no cam

- no multitasking

- no flash

- outdated display (hello mirasol)

- 1024*768 max resolution

- fails at popular formats .avi, .mpg, .wmv, .mkv, .flv, .ogm, .vob and even .mov

- apps only from the apple store

- 500$ + extras

WTF

the device feels like your in some type of tunnel vision, make perfect sense. Apple says and directs you to what you should see and read and hear! Mamerro you got to be kidding me that you feel like this device is the way of the future! But you are right about apple sitting twiddling their fingers saying "Excellent"!

- no usb // this sucks, but there's an overpriced adapter most people won't mind getting

- no cam // fuck this shit. Peeps are seriously overhyping cam on this without stopping to think how silly it is to take pictures with this. Lack of AR is the only drawback for me

- no multitasking // dealbreaker for me, not for the vast majority of people

- no flash // this is gay as fuck, agreed

- outdated display (hello mirasol) // what's the current price point on these screens?

- 1024*768 max resolution // that is perfectly fine on a 10" screen

- fails at popular formats .avi, .mpg, .wmv, .mkv, .flv, .ogm, .vob and even .mov // this will get solved to watch web video, but dont expect to watch your pirated movies on it

- apps only from the apple store // the way Apple likes it, and the way they're still #1

- 500$ + extras // the price point is excellent.

Mamerro you got to be kidding me that you feel like this device is the way of the future! But you are right about apple sitting twiddling their fingers saying "Excellent"!

This won't be even half as big as the iPhone, but you people are being seriously shortsighted on this thing.

I'll bet once you have on your hands and fuck around with a few awesome apps you'll be like "fuck this thing is rad".

Well put but I'm still thinking it's not going to be as big as all that.

The iphone was a major success because who wants to carry an MP3 player and a phone around.

Not to mention all the other possible functions, the apps were a secondary benefit, not the main reason to purchase.

This new platform offers no advantage over a touch or iphone other than size.

I don't think it puts apple in the running to take over the netbooks as well as it did iphones.

The lack of flash, usb's, and only providing 16 gigs of storage at the $500 netbookish price range is a turn off.

The iphone pwnt the smartphone market because it was/is hands down better.

This ipad is either a soulution for a problem that does not exist or not valid competition for a 300 netbook.

Cool looking and fun, yes, but is it worth $500-$860?

Time will tell, My money is on it fizzling down to a trickle of sales a week or two after launching.

This is a Kindle killer and a new tablet category starter, not so much a netbook killer, though I'm sure it'll eat a bit into their sales.

Did anybody seriously think the Kindle would be as big as it has become? With a similar price? And much more limited capability? Well, it did, and now there's the iPad.

I think one of the main selling points of the kindle was the screen.

My mom got the kindle for Christmas and mostly liked the ease of use (no geek skills learning curve) plus the non lit screen.

On the subway here in NYC the only people I see rocking the kindle are 50+ with eye problems.

The only market the ipad currently has is already covered by apple under the iphone/itouch.

I just don't think it's useful enough to create a new market for itself.

I guess the majority of my disappointment stems from understanding what it would be capable of.

I'd get one if it had had full web browsing capabilities, or improved memory capacity over my touch.

I have an iphone and the 64gig touch, was ready to cop one of these and hock the touch but definitely wont after seeing it's just basically a larger screen on a touch.

Also, that illustration done on an iphone up there is pretty awesome.

In my case, I've always been fiending for a Touch for all the apps, but didn't think the tiny size and small capacity (I already have a 60GB iPod) really merited it. Now that this is out, I'm much more likely to cop it cause of the large screen and vastly more awesome apps. But again, there's still issues holding me back, so I'm waiting for the next generation ones and see if they've improved on it.

I agree about the eye strain, Kindle has that on lock, but we'll see, people have the ability to adapt when the rest of the experience is pleasant enough. I prob spend the same amount of time reading shit online as I do real books, and eye strain is no longer an issue for me.

what's the current price point on these screens?

i don't sell them so i dont know, but i'm sure apple could make a good deal with qualcomm.

all in all i think the ipad has potential. infact i would prefer it over kindle or any current readers. however, the developers def. have a lot to do before i even think about spending 700 € ($977) for such a device.

This is hands down for the average Joe, not for the crazy-eyed gamer, not the pocket-protector worker-bee and not the heavy-hitting graphic designer. It's for the everyday folks who use their computers at home for simple tasks. That's great that the haters are hating because without them this thread wouldn't give me anything to laugh at, but this simple yet elegant tool will sell in large numbers. Think how simple the first gen iPod was and what it has become. I can only imagine what the iPad (Hey Steve... seriously, change the name. Thanks) will eventually become. Personally, I would love it if it could run Illustrator and I could use a pen tool on the screen. That... that would sell me.

Anyone got the actual specs on the speed of the processor, im thinking that they will make apps for illustrator and the likes it will be too huge of a market not to utilize the pad in the future for low memory graphic design work