Netbooks

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Fuck macs, not worth the $$$ or the gay hipster cred that goes along with them.

HP has some sweet books out there that are solid as fuck if you can shell out the cash ($300-500)

Processor speeds are all about the same with the net books, the one major difference in them is the type of hard drive that they have. Either solid state or hard disk.

Solid state drives are like a USB flash drive - they have no moving parts and pretty much never fail, although they have smaller capacities than normal hard drives (usually less than 50 gigs).

Hard disk drives (which is what most computers/laptops/netbooks use). have a spinning disk and usually have much higher capacity (150 - 200 gigs).

I went for the solid state since its more reliable, durable, and the computer is completely silent when it's running.

HP mini:

HPMINI1030NR.jpg

I bought that shit for 350 at bestbuy and it was on sale. Prices have gone down since then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157119&cm_re=hp_mini-_-34-157-119-_-Product

• 2 weeks later...

i like my mac

it has nothing to do with hispter cred

and everything to do with built in software.

i like that my computer came with most programs i want to use and operated out of the box without norton, mcafee etc etc.

virus protection is not something i want to ever have to think about.

2 years in i have no complaints.

the netbooks are nice though

travelling as much as i do it's hard to decide to bring my laptop or leave it

I really like netbooks actually.

I know tigerdirect and newegg both have them at a really low price. MSI has some nice 'ultra-portables' which is a netbook only an 11'' screen rather then a 10'' (Still fits in my purse!)

But yeah MSI's come in pretty colors. The whole thing, not just the lid side.

Plus these things are really getting up there in terms of hardware with the laptops. Not side by side but they are improving.

Let us know if you decided to pick one up. There's been some good suggestions on this thread. I don't like the Acer's though. They seem more like a budget system. Kinda fragile.

• 2 weeks later...
Fuck macs, not worth the $$$ or the gay hipster cred that goes along with them.

HP has some sweet books out there that are solid as fuck if you can shell out the cash ($300-500)

Processor speeds are all about the same with the net books, the one major difference in them is the type of hard drive that they have. Either solid state or hard disk.

Solid state drives are like a USB flash drive - they have no moving parts and pretty much never fail, although they have smaller capacities than normal hard drives (usually less than 50 gigs).

Hard disk drives (which is what most computers/laptops/netbooks use). have a spinning disk and usually have much higher capacity (150 - 200 gigs).

I went for the solid state since its more reliable, durable, and the computer is completely silent when it's running.

HP mini:

HPMINI1030NR.jpg

I bought that shit for 350 at bestbuy and it was on sale. Prices have gone down since then:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157119&cm_re=hp_mini-_-34-157-119-_-Product

How is this HP? I know they have a few out now, and you can upgrade to a bigger HD or a 6 cell battery..

I've been looking at getting one for travel and shit. Still need to try one out in the shop but they look handy as.

• 1 month later...

Ya, I'm glad I came across this thread. I too am in the market for a NetBook. I don't really have an issue with spending more to get more.

Basically I'd want one with good battery life, and reliable. One of the main things I'd also be using it for would be attaching it to my TV to view movies, and/or streaming video from the net. I've been told vary few NetBooks have HDMI ports (how I hook my computer up to my TV). So I'd like to find one with an HDMI port too.

Not sure if anybody has any ideas/recommendations on the best one to buy for somebody like myself.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

One of the new HP ones, I think it's an 11.5 inch has HDMI out. Bit more of a price but it's probably more suited for what you want it for. I got the HPmini above and it's great. easy to take around, fast, cheap. But fuck using Windows 7 on it! That shit was slow as anything.

Quickly rebuilt it with Linux

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought (well actually my work bought) the Samsung N315. This thing is pretty decent, im surprised. Running Reason 4 no problem. I have iTunes and some other shit on there as well. Built in webcam for perv shows with mic n/h. Resolution is deadly. Was around $500 in the end. And if you want to boost the performance from 1gb to 2gb its only $100 at best buy.

• 1 month later...