haitiiiii

wags

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Parliament has collapsed. The tax office has collapsed. Schools have collapsed. Hospitals have collapsed," Preval told the Miami Herald. "There are a lot of schools that have a lot of dead people in them."

Even the main prison in the capital fell down, "and there are reports of escaped inmates," U.N. humanitarian spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs said in Geneva.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/12/international/i141733S04.DTL&tsp=1

our flight is still goinggg ;)

When I asked what your plan was I meant more along the lines of what you will be doing once you arrive. Obviously it is going to be a different plan since the earthquake.

Are the doctors you're working with already there and working? Have they been in country before? What kind of facilities will you be working and staying in? Stuff like that...? I assume all these details could be up in the air because of the quake and it's all good if you would rather keep those details to yourself, but it is extremely interesting.

*edit

Just read about the guy running the "non-religious orphanage"....so they have been there. Knowing that makes me worry less for you:)

So, I am leaving for Haiti on Saturday. I'll be there for a good amount of time. I was wondering if any of you guys have been there and can tell me places I need to see, any experiences, any food I should try.. that kind of stuff. I know it's not really a hot spot to travel, but maybe a couple of you have been there.

Yeahhh, and if you can give me any travel safety tips for a female in a corrupt place, lemme know hahah. :D

... i was gonna say something about watching people search for dead bodies but then i realised that was pretty dickish so i edited my post and instead bring you pictures of sexy wemens.and she's haitian!

aaal_a8175bfaa97f313d3fda90038e6b00a3.jpg

When I asked what your plan was I meant more along the lines of what you will be doing once you arrive. Obviously it is going to be a different plan since the earthquake.

Are the doctors you're working with already there and working? Have they been in country before? What kind of facilities will you be working and staying in? Stuff like that...? I assume all these details could be up in the air because of the quake and it's all good if you would rather keep those details to yourself, but it is extremely interesting.

*edit

Just read about the guy running the "non-religious orphanage"....so they have been there. Knowing that makes me worry less for you:)

sure! i'll answer some of your questions, no biggy :]

There are some doctors and nurses who stay there all year round, but my best friend's dad who helps run it/started it only goes like twice a year because he also runs a unit in a hospital where I live. So yes, to answer your question, there are people already there helping out. He has been to Haiti a little over 20 times. I am going with eight people, and only me and my two best friends are the ones who haven't been there before.

I will be staying in the countryside, not Port-au-Prince. My two girlfriends, and I will be staying in the medical unit place, where people stay when they come to visit and help out. I'm not really sure because I haven't been there yet, but this was built by her dad and is run by a mulatto family when her dad isn't there. The orphanage/medical place is all built on this family's land.

Basically, what I was planning on doing there is taking care of the smaller children (ie teaching them how to walk, entertaining them, and really giving them individual attention/love that they don't ever get because the caretakers are so busy.) We are bringing tonsss of prosthetics because so many of the children are handicapped and don't have all of their limbs because of sanitation. We were told that a lot of kids lose limbs because they get a little cut/scrape while playing outside, then it gets infected from not being cleaned, and then they have to cut off the limb. We were also going to help build a new building, and bring medicine/toys and plant gardens with fresh fruit and veggies, but now I am not sure what the plan is. We might be going into the city to help people out in any way that we can. Thankfully the place I will be at wasn't messed up by the quake at all.

Okay i just wrote a novel hahaha. sorry.

I'm in the military and I should be leaving to Haiti soon so, we can provide help. I was there once before and its a total crap hole. I took some pictures from my first trip. I cant imagine the things I'll see this time:o

My homie went there as part of his military service, said the same thing. He said the 1st thing you notice when you step out there is the smell, kids begging everywhere....