haitiiiii

wags

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be careful.

My friends family lived there in the late 80's early 90's. All he told me he remembered was gunfire on the regular and that his house security guard was murdered in front of his house...RIP.

BTW are you going for work or play.

I am going there to volunteer and help out. My best friend's dad is a doctor and he runs a non-religious orphanage there. Her dad and a couple of other doctors/nurses are going to do all the medical stuff for people who need it.

• Like 1

Grew up with Haitians and my next door neighbors are a Haitian family.

My ex roommate (white boy) went there for a couple of days to pick up his crazy mother and his his granmother who has Alzheimer's cuz they got in to some crazy situation where the bf of the mother was extorting them. some gutter type shit!

Some real heavy stuff, i feel bad for my boy.

All this to say that i only heard bad things about it.

I hope everything works out for you!

Take flicks, start a thread.

Thanks! I hope everything works out for us too. I will try to take as many pictures as I can. :]

Strong quake hits Haiti, hospital collapses

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/12/international/i141733S04.DTL&tsp=1

"Everybody is just totally, totally freaked out and shaken," said Henry Bahn, a U.S. Department of Agriculture visiting Haiti. "The sky is just gray with dust."

How long are you planning on staying there?

I'm planning on staying there for a couple of weeks.

yeahhh, It's like a went to go see a movie and then everything went to shit in Haiti.

As far as I know, everything is still good to go.

Wags is on the phone with the her travel agent right now...

hahaha nah, I'm not. I am still going. If anything they need us more and to bring more supplies and stuff. I know this sounds totally gayola, but if i am going down, at least I was doing something selfless. lol whateva

so if wags doesn't sign on ever again after Saturday, :[ 12oz rules and everyone take care of themselves.

Her dad and a couple of other doctors/nurses are going to do all the medical stuff for people who need it.

People there needed help before today...now they will need it more than ever.

Brace yourself for some reality that none of us are used to, sure ain't going to be no vacation.

Good luck.

No "prolly" about it...Haiti is always a mess.

Now it is a disaster zone...

*edit...wait until more news comes out, you might not even be cleared to travel there depending on the degree of damage.

and those griots look tasty...whatever they are.

nah, niggas be eatin' mud son!

080130-AP-haiti-eatin_big.jpg

Yolen Jeunky, 45, collects dried "mud cookies" to sell in the shantytown of Cité Soleil in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on November 29, 2007.

Rising food prices have forced poor Haitians to depend on the cookies—a mixture of salt, vegetable shortening, and mud—for sustenance.

"Our church has 5 missionaries from our church that just arrived in Haiti when the earthquake hit. One of the missionaries is my mother in law and the other is my father in law. We are corresponding via text but they are seeing dead bodies in the street. They are at the missions clinic in Port-au-Prince now helping many of the injured.

-Brian Cory

Gateway Free Will Baptist Church"

No "prolly" about it...Haiti is always a mess.

Now it is a disaster zone...

*edit...wait until more news comes out, you might not even be cleared to travel there depending on the degree of damage.

and those griots look tasty...whatever they are.

Griots are fried pork shoulders with rice and beans and it comes with plantain and sauces.

Shit is mad good son!

I once spent x mas with a Haitian family, the food was AMAZING!

Ti zozo santi mon cher!

youre only going for a couple weeks?

i've worked professionally in a bunch of different shit holes, india is probably in a similar category as haiti except its safe and not full of crime.

my only advice would be to anticipate what i like to call 'sensory overload'. when you're in an unfamiliar place, your body gets unnerved and your senses work harder than they normally do. You look more, you smell more, you hear more, etc. Do you know creole/will you ahve guides?

Considering that your senses will set on what will essentially be katrina but waaaaay worse, don't step off the plane thinking your going to save the world thrice over, make sure you give yourself time to sleep, eat and process the fuckery you just saw. otherwise i have a feeling you'll have a breakdown the second or third day, esp. if you haven't been in those types of conditions before.

forgive me if i'm wrong, but you seem like the "i feel guilty i have it so good so im going to go volunteer for 3 weeks, make a difference and assuage my conscience" type. if thats the case, get over yourself asap. you're gonna get there, be like "wow this is fucked up, so not what im used to blah blah blah" when for 99 percent of haitians, that is normal.

sorry if i sound like an asshole, but if you really wanted to make a difference your 'delegation'/'mission' coulda given your plane fare/hotel fare etc. to a haitian and that essentially would have been a 4 to 6 month salary.

/end rant.

• Like 1

thanks for the advice.

i feel no guilt, they doctors and nurses needed all the help they could get so they asked us to go. i am also going to be applying for med school soon, so this is a pretty interesting introduction besides an internship.

and get off my nuts about what I should and shouldn't do to help. i have nothing to get over.