Nu Joisey Legalizes Medical Marijuana, Jersey Shore Watercooler Talk Continues Unhindered.

Gat Bush

New Jersey Lawmakers Pass Medical Marijuana Bill

By DAVID KOCIENIEWSKI

Published: January 11, 2010

TRENTON — The New Jersey Legislature approved a measure on Monday that would make the state the first in the region and the 14th in the nation to legalize the use of marijuana for medical reasons.

Damon Winter/The New York Times

Michael Oliveri, a muscular distrophy patient, with his mother, Christiane, left, and Diane Rivera-Riportella after passage.

Related

Times Topics: Marijuana and Medical Marijuana

The measure, passed on the final day of the legislative session, would allow patients diagnosed with severe illnesses like cancer, AIDS, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis to have access to marijuana distributed through state-monitored dispensaries.

Gov. Jon S. Corzine has said he would sign it into law before leaving office next Tuesday. Gov.-elect Christopher J. Christie, speaking at a press conference on Monday before the vote, reiterated his support for legalizing the medical use of marijuana as long as the final bill contained safeguards to ensure that it did not end up encouraging the recreational use of the drug.

Assemblyman Reed Gusciora, a Democrat from Princeton, said the New Jersey law would be the most restrictive in the nation because it would only permit doctors to prescribe it for a list of serious chronic illnesses. The legislation would also forbid patients from growing their own marijuana and using it in public, and it would regulate the drug under the strict conditions used to track the distribution of medically prescribed opiates like Oxycontin and morphine.

“I truly believe this will become a model for other states because it balances the compassionate use of medical marijuana while limiting the number of ailments that a physician can prescribe it for,” said Mr. Gusciora, who sponsored the bill.

Mr. Christie said he wanted to make sure that New Jersey did not follow the path of other states that have legalized the medical use of marijuana.

“I think we see all what’s happened in California,” Mr. Christie said. “It’s gotten completely out of control.”

Opponents of the New Jersey bill often use California’s experience as a cautionary tale, saying that medical marijuana is so loosely regulated there that the state has essentially decriminalized the drug. Under California law, residents can legally obtain marijuana to treat a list of maladies as common, and undefined, as anxiety or chronic pain.

The New Jersey Senate last year passed a less restrictive version of the proposal, which led opponents of medical marijuana to predict that it would pave the way for California-style “pot centers.” David Evans, executive director of the Drug Free School Coalition, said that such centers would make marijuana more readily available on the streets and lead to an increase use of drugs by teenagers.

But after conference hearings among legislative leaders, both chambers agreed on a more stringent bill.

As the legislators prepared to vote on the measure, more than a dozen chronically ill patients rallied at the State House to urge lawmakers to pass it.

One of them, Scott Ward, who said he suffered from multiple sclerosis, said he had been prescribed marijuana to alleviate leg cramps so severe that they often “feel like my muscles are tearing apart” and that leave him virtually unable to walk. Other prescription drugs either failed to ease the pain or left him so groggy he could do little more than sleep, Mr. Ward said. But when he followed his neurologist’s advice and treated his pain with marijuana, Mr. Ward said, the pain went away.

“I could do normal things like walk the dog,” said Mr. Ward, 26. “It made a huge difference in my life.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/nyregion/12marijuana.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Nu Joisey Legalizes Medical Marijuana, Jersey Shore Watercooler Talk Continues Unhinde

my mom always asked me growing up if i was worried about drug dealers "lacing" my weed.

i told her no, drug dealers like money, and it doesn't make sense to lace drugs with drugs for free.

edit: haha sysfail beat me to it. weed game 101

Re: Nu Joisey Legalizes Medical Marijuana, Jersey Shore Watercooler Talk Continues Unhinde

A lot of people don't realize that medical prices are pretty much identical to street prices. $50-60 bucks an 1/8th is pretty standard.

Plus it makes possesion a felony instead of a misdemeanor. Meaning harsher punishment and jail time instead of a ticket. Last time I got locked up judge slammed this guy with this outta control bond for a roach in his ashtray, and was handing out 30 days left and right for this and that.

i'm a fan of medical marijuana. i've had prescriptions for about 6 years now, mostly in cali, but i spent a couple years in oregon. there's been a handful of times i was pulled over with weed in the car (usually a zip or less but once a qp) and they've always checked my prescription, given me back my stuff and let me go on my way. what's not to like?

A lot of people don't realize that medical prices are pretty much identical to street prices. $50-60 bucks an 1/8th is pretty standard.

Plus it makes possesion a felony instead of a misdemeanor. Meaning harsher punishment and jail time instead of a ticket. Last time I got locked up judge slammed this guy with this outta control bond for a roach in his ashtray, and was handing out 30 days left and right for this and that.

california shit can be spendy, but in other states the market is flooded like shit...

i just scooped an 1/8th of good-good for $20 from a dispensary today, just to see what they had...

haha I never have to resort to smoking dirt weed, I love livin in WA state great bud and never pay bullshit prices

That rules then.

But, for the rest of world those are the prices that are mapped out.

Travel outside of your nice hippy bubble and the price rises.

Come east and try to bargain.

I'm in Mexico though.

Shit is legal here now.

I get like 5 grams of nice tweeds for less than $10.