with language barriers with family

Frate_Raper

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

My girl's mother doesn't really speak english. She speaks a little, but not enough for us to really bond over conversation. That hinders things, but so does all the cultural differences. Signs of respect and disrespect through actions makes it more difficult for me. Things like bowing when you walk past elders sitting on the ground playing cards. Walking upright is a sign of disrespect or something, and you have to try and walk bowed to their level.

I'm sure I forget that one plenty of times and look like a douche. Fucking white guy!

I'm lucky my wife has nothing to do with her family but I find the language barrier hard sometimes to get on with her friends, she knows a few Germans here but they speak great english but I do feel I should get off my ass and learn German, just so it is easier for my son to be bi-lingual.

I just studied up on culture & language, made a whole lot of things make a lot more sense w/ the girl, family, and her people in general. Plus I get a lot of props and extras from her people now when they see that I've tried to know more than the basic 'how are you?' and such. Her culture also likes to drink and values being able to hold your alcohol, so I had some natural ability that helped too ;)

I am marrying into a family where everyone except my wife and her brother are primarily spanish speaking.

like earl said it makes it hella harder to bond over conversation, also I dont really eat all the food.

but overall I think when you are a good dude and take care of a girl proper you earn her families reswpect regardless of language barriers.

i wish she hadnt told her brother about all my arrests and jailtime etc..but too late now

I speak Russian English and French.

My little brother speaks busted Russian and French.

my dad speaks English, Russian and Georgian.

My mom only speaks fluent Russian, busted Hebrew and a little English.

There are mad language barriers in my fam and it had a huge effect on my little brother.

He can not properly express himself to my parents since both of them dont speak French and he only speaks Russian very poorly. As a result they put him in a special school for people with behavioral problems.

but overall I think when you are a good dude and take care of a girl proper you earn her families reswpect regardless of language barriers.

I hear this. I've never even met my girl's parents face to face but for some reason they like me because I make her laugh and went to the airport with her before a long trip. That's fucking rare in Korea especially if the dude is a foreign honky like me.:D

My girl is Korean. They're norms are out there. It's taxing at times. I try and be polite about it but some of the shit makes zero sense to me. It sometimes feels like it's a huge joke they are playing on me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH I FEEL THIS SHIT TOO WITH SOME RELATIVES OF DIFERENT CULTURES HAHAHAH

on point.

Since I don't associate with any kind of extended family (nevermind far enough out that they don't speak English) and only date white girls I doubt I'll ever really have these issues.

My best friend's family, of which I am basically a part, is Dominican and alot of them don't speak great English, but they know enough and I know enough Spanish that we get along fine. It's mostly his Mom and brothers that I really talk to anyways, and they all speak it perfectly fine

this.

my dad is a hard shell to crack and does not like anyone but he likes my dude and so does the rest of my family.

he's learning a little korean but both my parents speak english for the most part so they at least understand each other.

they see how good dude is to me and how respectful he is and he loves my moms cooking so he is a-ok in their book.

korglish is what i speak.

My girl is Korean. They're norms are out there. It's taxing at times. I try and be polite about it but some of the shit makes zero sense to me. It sometimes feels like it's a huge joke they are playing on me.

hahaha it is a big joke we play on you white people.

my dude has had to learn a shit load of do's and don'ts. i think he got it all down now.

hahaha it is a big joke we play on you white people.

my dude has had to learn a shit load of do's and don'ts. i think he got it all down now.

You knwo thats what they say the asians do in their shops is nothing but make fun of you while youre there...I mean I think thats awesome ahahaha.

Anyways I just got out of a relationship with a spanish chick. Sad thing was they didnt speak any spanish but the culture was strong. It wasnt the language barrier that made it hard, it was the barrier that her mother set around her and how her 3 aunts were like 3 extra mothers over her....I couldnt stand her family. Although Ill agree and side with MedicineCabinet that no matter what I do Ill never get along with my girls parents. I dont know why cause I get along fine with my parents and so does everyone else because were not bad people. Maybe Im too nice and too courteous and polite so they always thing Im up to something.

I fucking HATE families where the aunts and uncles or the grandparents are like extra parents. Fuck that shit.

I've had issues with the families of both of my serious girlfriends, and when it was their mother or their father I could deal with it, but whenever an uncle, or a grandma, or someone like that would try to get involved I would lose my fucking shit. Fuck you extended family.