Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
somethinglikethat

"Post-Rock" music

Before the crash we had the instrumental music thread, which was a good thread but left the door open for talk about hip hop instrumentals, etc.

Nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure I'm not the only person on this forum who mostly listens to music that is generally classified as "post-rock". As this is a pretty broad but generally overlooked category of music, there are a lot of good bands out there from all over, but almost nobody knows about them.

So post some interesting post rock bands/albums.

Here are some of my recent favorites.

1058552.jpg

Evpatoria Report - Maar - These guys are from switzerland, lots of long-winded, "epic" build ups, reminiscent of Godspeed at times.

51tcga4mwfl_ss500_.jpg

yndi halda - enjoy eternal bliss - also maybe a little reminiscent of godspeed, but without the sampling and maybe a little more melodic

do-make-say-think-the-other-truths.jpg

Do Make Say Think - Other Truths - New album sort of reminds me of their older stuff, one of their best IMO.

the-appleseed-cast-sagarmatha-2009.jpg?w=300&h=300

Appleseed Cast - Sagarmatha - they've pretty much abandoned their emo roots, which is fine with me.

DMSThink gets the most air time from me. didn't know they had another new one.. gonna track it down now.

I'm not 100% sure I know what "post rock" is.

i think i may have put some post-rock bands in the drone/doom thread. i think there are quite a few bands and russian circles is one of them, has the skill and style to tread multiple genres. they can be metal at times, but also sound like what is described as post-rock as well as drone.

I just looked for the Instrumental thread yesterday.

Good work.

Earl, music played with rock instruments in a non-traditional rock song format would be the closest definition I could come up with, as I'm not super polished on it, myself.

However, I saw tortoise live @ the roseland ballroom a grip ago w/beardo. They were unexpectedly one of the best live acts I've seen.

Tortoise is a great band. When did you see them? I'll never forget the first time I heard them. It was probably 1995 or 96 and someone let me borrow

Tortoise+-+Millions+Now+Living+Will+Never+Die.jpg

I went home, and not to sound corny, sat with my bong and listened to it while I drew. That album blew me away the first time I heard it.

Tortoise - The Taut And Tame

I found out about Toe because of Tortoise. I think one of the guys involved with Tortoise, was involved with them. They're worth checking out.

great threadAnyone listening to You.may.die.in.the.desert? For fans of explosions mogwai etc. The track Mitchell vs rowesdower kills

Here you go:

diggin it

earl, I've seen tortoise a few times, I think the show at roseland with theme was in 01.

my fav DMST tune

woah, and they're playing here on the 1st too. score.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now