Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soul vice

photojournalism/other related careers

So I'm graduating from high school fairly soon (yeah, i know. young) and i'm trying to work out what i want to do after school. Right now i'm in a position to have half a bachelors degree finished by the time i graduate, and as of now, i'm looking into potential careers involving two of my major interests- writing and photography. Naturally, i came up with photojournalism.

As of now, my possible plan is to graduate, then dual major in english and photography/major in english minor in photography and follow that up with a photojournalism masters degree. To anyone who is involved in a career similar to this (even just freelance photographer or otherwise), is there any advice you can give me? Is an education like this effective, and if so, are there any schools/institutions that are recommended? Through photojournalism and other supplemental shit (freelance, etc) will I make enough to survive?

I'm really just looking for advice from anyone who is in/knows a lot about fields like this (I think MarcoFromHouston comes to mind).

Thanks in advance. If this is stupid, than feel free to tell me to fuck off :lol:

• Like 1

Well this was a fuckin' flop. I think I'm just going to dual major in english and photography and see where the hell that gets me.

On a side note, does anyone have a lightstalkers invitation they can send my way?

Not really a flop, I'm pretty sure no one on 12oz is a photojournalist or has any interest in it.

My boy Mike does that stuff though, he's taken photo's that made the cover of the New York Times.

All his big stuff including the New York Times cover was from Afghanistan since he was a combat correspondent in the Marines.

He went to an art school, got an associates degree in photography and joined the Marines.

Then he used the GI bill to get a free ride at one of the countries top art schools afterwards.

I'm pretty sure just like most other similar career's your portfolio is the most important asset you can have.

Aside from getting a degree which adds some sort of legitimacy and builds connections I'd suggest working super hard on the portfolio.

IE showing up at events, taking good photo's and presenting the shots with a headline and captions.

Always have a camera handy and try getting said photo's into smaller news publications.

Thats what the majority of his photo journalism portfolio consisted of last time I saw it.

yeah always remember this isnt CH0. Untitled has a bit more respect and less douchbagism.

As a freelancer sometimes you basically bargin off your photos to who ever wants them and it always doesnt pay. Think Peter Park from spiderman how the news agency didnt give him the best money for his photos haha. Bad example though. Anyways I think its a good choice. The world always has things happening in it. I think that the News is an industry that will never die because its a back bone for a lot that goes on. Thumbs up to your choice because it also has an enjoyable aspect to its work day.

yeah always remember this isnt CH0. Untitled has a bit more respect and less douchbagism.

Fuck you, you cock eating homo dungeon love slave fuck!!!

oreilly_u_mad1243621879.jpg

:D :D :D

Honestly though --Soul Vice, photojournalism is a fucked career move right now. I have a friend who used to shoot for Gannett and they cutback big time on their photo team. Print is on it's way out, and journalism is kind of becoming a joke anyways. I mean when John and Kate's divorce takes the top story slot during a war time depression, I don't know what kind of journalistic integrity is involved with that.

So I can say from what I've seen my friend go through, photo journalism is a really intense job market right now and you're better off keeping your spectrum of opportunity open to more. Get down with photography and master that as an art. You can always assist on jobs for cash, network through that, and later on pick and choose, but that's all in the cards and how you play them. Look at other aspects. Maybe try out product photography, food photography, photo editing, etc. Definitely keep your options open while you're still young and just learn as much as you can. Pay a shitload of dues now, and cash them in in a couple of years.

i will give more advice later, but for now, i would say skip the english and do economics/political science/anthropology/intl development. photo journalists are desired not for what they want the world to look like (fiction), but how it is (social sciences).

hope you come from a rich family, like earl said there is no type of money in the industry. i've been doing it for about a year and a half now, not for newspapers but for charities and development organizations. haven't made much money, but have seen the world for free and had a fuckin blast.

earl had really good advice from the photo side, i've had good luck approaching organizations and offering to do more than photography (i majored in econ and poli sci) rather than doing multiple types of photography. photography was about half to two thirds what i did, so during part of my assignments i would be doing office/field work. as far as juggling different things to make ends meet each person has their preferences, you need to figure out yours.

finally, you need to develop a theory of badassery, or some sort of mechanism whereby you find stories that will attract attention (you will most definitely be free lance, so you need to know how to sell your stories). anoooother story on an african famine in high contrast bw with big bellied kids while a ray of light shines through dust on them as they have a christ like pose is the LAST thing they want. id say of all the points offered, this is the most important (and one i definitely struggle with): you have to find stories that haven't been done before but are still relevant and important.

do you man, good luck.

Good looks everyone, thanks again. I'll probably just focus on photography and then figure something out from there, planning is over-rated.

hey man, thanks for the shout out :lol:

I'm much less of a "professional" photographer than you or others may think. At least for now and for a while (Fuck my day job, but it pays well and gives me 4 weeks paid vacation, which I use to travel). I mostly shoot concerts & events as one of the several freelance photogs the local alternative weekly paper (The Houston Press) hires. I only get paid $50-$100 for each set of images I submit. Yes, I get to see great concerts, and get paid for my work - but I won't get rich like this. I also just got hired by the entertainment/lifestyle website associated with the Houston Chronicle to shoot at bars/clubs. Again, not the ideal gig, but I could make $100 in 10 minutes twice or 3 times a week. I'm not gonna pass that up.

I've been proactive and worked as an assistant for other established photographers here in Houston and around the country. I've worked with a playboy photographer in the US Virgin Islands, and with a famous celebrity photog in Los Angeles. Learn/practice how to speak intelligently and compose a grammatically correct e-mail.

I appreciate the comments by Mercer, Earl, and MayorMen.

With that being said, this year I'm becoming more involved in my photo projects and building my portfolio, then apply to the Master's program of Photo Journalism @ Univ of Texas in Austin.

So do whatever you want man. But always keep shooting and developing your style. If you are good, people will notice.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now