WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH MENS FASHION

LostInTheMusic

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

skirts for men were big in the early to mid-eighties and then slowly died out. With everything making a comeback from the eighties these last few years, this was only a matter of time.

I work in the fashion industry, sort of, so I have to keep up on all this shit. While the man-skirt is definitely on the rise... be aware of the Dandy. The preppy look with an edge is coming back strong. I'm talking bow ties and tweed, with skulls and shit.

I am not so I'll try and list some trends I can remember throughout my life.

Jordan's, in the early 90's my grandma Buffalo, NY, brought them back to Chicago and stepped in dog shit, after cleaning the shit off the white sole with some sort of solvent, the sole was pink, I was upset.

Spiked up hair, I never had this, but thought it looked cool.

Bowl cuts gelled in the front, I wanted these when I was younger.

Jnco jeans, or just really baggy jeans.

Long hair on dudes, although still popular I think short is more practical in society's eyes?

"Urban" skateboard fashion, probably was more esoteric but people like Josh Kalis and Stevie Williams or pretty much anybody who had a rap song in their part in a skate video, and wore really baggy pants and big shoes. Also a lot of people were rocking the Vida shoes after that one Habitat video, I forget what it was called, but Jason Dill wore Vida's and they existed.

Faux Bike Messenger style, still popular today but I thought I don't know who thinks it is cool.

You guys are familiar with the rest/others. Today I think it's hip to be square, still.

Dandy. The preppy look with an edge is coming back strong. I'm talking bow ties and tweed, with skulls and shit.

you dont keep up that well... that was Ralph Lauren Rugby like 6 seasons ago(discrete skulls worked into dress wear suits and ties) and they still have many pieces that are inspired of that type of casual dressy look, then again Lauren blue label and the RRL line have been running with this for years, alot of american fashion trends are started by Lauren... classics

people think this is "comming back" because faggot ass black candy rappers are trying to look like collegiate white people, this is nothing new AT ALL...

as for this thread, there is not a single "fashion" photo posted in it and the only well dressed dudes in here are the fellows in that soup line that earl posted...

Long hair on dudes, although still popular I think short is more practical in society's eyes?

I have long hair (past my shoulders) but there's a pretty good reason why. I can't afford to get my hair cut every six weeks and I look like Private Pyle when I shave my head... so it's better to just tie it back. Someday I'll chop it off but for now I'm okay with it.

Faux Bike Messenger style, still popular today but I thought I don't know who thinks it is cool.

I was a messenger for a long time, and when I was starting out I just wore what I had handy for the first couple years. As time went on I started buying clothes that were more suited for everyday riding...most of my pants were tapered and I wore my shirts a little smaller...when you're on a bike all day you don't want to have a bunch of fabric flopping around in the breeze and chafing you, so you wear fitted stuff because it stays out of the way.

Now that I'm not a messenger and have gained some weight I'm back to wearing jeans and t-shirts all the time. I have a couple messenger bags but I've been using a backpack more now that I don't need to wear a single strap bag.

As far as the current state of men's fashion, I haven't really paid much attention to it. If I had money I'd be buying Euro brands since I find that the quality and cut are better than most of the stuff from the States, but that's mostly a matter of opinion.