The Ruins of Detroit

LEVEL 75 PALADIN

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya this is an awesome thread. DSD666 posted great pix. I'd be really interested to see like a bunch of shots of one house inside and out - telling its story. I love looking at pix like these and thinking about how at one point all these houses were brand new and a family was proud to live there.

What happened is the Detroit centric American car industry went from glamor to a charity case. The decades after WW2 brought a sense of unlimited prosperity to Americans and one of the most symbolic indications of that was the American car. Detroit was a city of prosper and wealth. The unions made sure everyone lived well. But decades of not adhering to market demands following the gas shortage of 1979 forced the big 3 US automakers to cut back which created a ripple effect of job cuts across the auto industry and their suppliers. Most skilled workers left the city leaving only the entitlists behind. A stagnant culture of resentment without means, motivation or incentive to contribute to the collective good resulted in landlords neglecting their properties, business owners closing down and residents ignoring their environment. IMHO.

I lived off ten mile right next to 696 for a year. Not a bad area, nothing near whats posted above, yet I saw some of the craziest, scariest, and most heart breaking events in that one year than the other 28 of my existence put together. My grandfather said it reminded him of eastern europe.

People just trying to literally survive by any means.

It was sad to sit and see this happening to a city in which the people of it were the backbone of our nation for so long.