Oscar Grant one year.

Guest T14K

It was a year ago that he got shot by the police. i don't care about the politics. i just wanted people to remember him. he was a good dude. a father. and i was fortunate enough to get to see him before he died.

rip and what not.

oscar-grant.jpg

3358718193_65936371b6.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It got moved or something the last time i heard. I stopped paying attention when people started using him as an excuse to break windows and start fires.

Don't worry, that's the only one I'll make.

It's not the only one that will get made, however.

I was on BART that night about a hour before Oscar got shot. The train we were on was stuck at West Oakland on account of a girl who was having some kind of bad drug reaction/seizure.

There was one cop helping her and her friends while about twelve other BART cops were busy running up and down the platform harassing people who got fed up and started getting off the train to find out what the holdup was. I saw a couple guys get jammed up against the wall just for asking whether there was a paramedic on the way. Finally, our train pulled out and we got off at 12th Street and hopped a bus for the rest of the trip.

So yeah, it was a ridiculous and scary sight to behold and in light of what I saw the shooting really didn't surprise me... it shocked and saddened me but it fit with what I saw. I boycotted BART for almost six months after that and I still go out of my way to avoid any and all contact with BART PD since they clearly can't be trusted with simple police work.

I was also at a couple of the demonstrations and ended up being followed by one of the riots by about a mile or ten minutes, and I still I don't know what to think of it. I realize people are pissed and can't do much to change what's wrong, but fucking over people who had nothing to do with the shooting instead of actually addressing the real issue and taking some cops on hand to hand...I don't know, it seems pretty cowardly.

RIP.

oakland got loose that week after. i was living downtown, near broadway, and the night shit really cracked off we were in the middle of it. i feel you shai on the random destruction, and we were walking near the lake seein hella fools' windshields smashed in. i didn't know what to think of it, but considering mehserle is out on bail chilling right now, i can only imagine how much lighter they would've taken this shit if oakland hadn't got lit up after that. i have a rubber bullet shell from the riot. it didn't go off and the blue plastic shit is still in it. RIP oscar grant, gonna go bump the AP9 tribute right now.

i'm getting more and more pissed about this shit the more i sit here. just watched the video on youtube. i've seen BART pigs tackle motherfuckers for not paying. these faggots are itching for power and it got taken out on oscar grant. shit is NOT cool. i spit on bart cop cars every time.

The media buried it after they saw what kind of emotions running the story brought up in Oakland. They want ratings/headlines, but their more pressing mandate is to keep people from getting too angry or even thinking too much about what's going on or what's wrong with the world right now.

That has a lot to do with power and wealth being too concentrated at the top while regular folks are working harder (if they're working) and getting further and further behind while the media pimps the fuck out of lifestyles that are unsustainable and unattainable for 99% of us. It's amazing that more people haven't made this connection but maybe people are dumber or more beat down than I realized.

It's all part of the plan...we have a (somewhat) black president who has yet to change a single thing about the way things are run, yet people are still believing the hype.

Oscar Grant's murder could have been the thing that politicized a whole generation of kids in Oakland and potentially been an even bigger threat to the status quo than the Panthers, but instead they used it as an excuse to break some windows and torch a few cars. Even though I can sympathize and understand it, it's kind of hard for me to get down with that sort of mentality...I'll protest but I'm not gonna go out and smash some poor small business owner's shit just because I'm pissed off about living in the ghetto.

i'm not gonna quote your rant, but i feel the need to say, my father (ultra conservative) saw the video and damn near lost it. he was disgusted that dude got shot. my mother, ultra liberal, saw it too, and was appalled. it had nothing to do with the media. my mom's in hawaii, my father's in socal. nothing was downplayed. they definitely felt the intensity that came with the whole situation. there's no fucking "plan"... obama is a puppet... a spokeperson, that is all. im not hating at all, but people keep dropping his name like he's a fucking prophet. everything's gonna be fine. oscar grant's shit couldn't have gone better in my opinion.

i'm not gonna quote your rant, but i feel the need to say, my father (ultra conservative) saw the video and damn near lost it. he was disgusted that dude got shot. my mother, ultra liberal, saw it too, and was appalled. it had nothing to do with the media. my mom's in hawaii, my father's in socal.

Of course anyone who see the tape is going to be outraged.

nothing was downplayed. they definitely felt the intensity that came with the whole situation. there's no fucking "plan"... obama is a puppet... a spokeperson, that is all. im not hating at all, but people keep dropping his name like he's a fucking prophet. everything's gonna be fine. oscar grant's shit couldn't have gone better in my opinion.

It wasn't downplayed until people started breaking shit. Then the media realized what kind of powder keg they were sitting on top of so they stopped running stories about it...and the police union got exactly what it wanted- the cop is out on bail and they moved the trial to LA, which is a much more conservative/favorable place for this kind of trial. They couldn't have gotten their way if the press hadn't backed off.

So in the end, everything went exactly the way I expected it to, and it wasn't for the better.

people act like politics are controlling the world. fuck all that. it's not that way if you dont want it to be.

I spend a LOT of time desperately trying to tune it all out, but knowing what I know does no good for my depression or blood pressure.

"On August 28, 2009, Grant's father filed a separate federal lawsuit against BART, the department's chief, Mehserle, Pirone, and another officer involved. He claims he was "mentally, and emotionally injured and damaged" as a result of his son's death, suffering a loss of "familial relations." Grant's father has been imprisoned on a first-degree murder conviction throughout his son's entire life, and he currently resides at Solano State Prison in Vacaville, California"

I find this funny

Terrible! Rest in Peace to him! To play devil's advocate for a minute though, I dont understand why people resist arrest especially in large minority populated cities where tensions run high and alot of cops are racist and use excessive force. Being white everytime Ive been arrested i shut the fuck up, because I am damn scared what a cop can do and get away with if I make the wrong intended move, id be even more hesitant to resist if i was black or latino. Such a horrible event, I just wish he would of chilled and sat against the wall like the other two in the video, because he would still be alive today. Maybe he wasnt resisting, it looked like it though. That said, there is no excuse for what that cop did.. he should be put away for a long long time, and the family should win alot of money from BART also.

I remember one time we all got pulled over and told to put our hands up where they were visible. The cop took my boy who was driving's license, walked back to his car, and everyone relaxed and put their hands down. My best friend (who's Dominican, and who most cops seem to think is black) kept his up on the headrest of the seat in front of him, and when I made a joke about it he turned his head slowly and was like "Are you fucking crazy? This muthafucka will SHOOT ME".

It's definitely a you had to be there kind of moment, but his face and the way he said it was priceless haha

never seen the video but from what i hear the cops defence is that he "accidently" pulled his gun instead of his tazer.to me this sounds like the lamest fucking excuse ever. idk tho i havent seen the video yet. is it on youtube?

either way rip to your friend OP it sucks when anyone dies and its even worse that he had to go that way when it wasnt deserved.