Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doc strange

Question about a certain HPJX restamp car

DSCN0863.jpg

Someone posted that in a bench thread on here and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what these cars are used for.. I tried google and couldn't find any details.. no doors, so is it a garbage type car? Sorry if this is stupid, just wondering.. theyre real cool old cars, and I've never seen them around my area (minnesota)

Thanks

that last one reminds me of those experimental burlington northern boxcar/hoppers. cool find

yea those first two were the ones i was talking about. that green one is cool too, never seen that one before.

theres a lot of cool wierd ass experimental cars out there i think it would make a good thread.

I am thinking of making a new thread about experimental cars.

Basically, most cars when shipped, go loaded one way, empty the other, losing money when they are shipped empty.

So Burlington Northern designed this car, so that it would go one direction loaded like a boxcar, then, it would be shipped the other direction loaded like a hopper with grain and such. So the floor has holes so you can empty the grain out. Very interesting.

Does that mean the grain gets potentially dirty or would/do they have to clean it regularly?

Cars for food loading get cleaned and even fumigated between loads. The fumigant is some pretty nasty stuff, phosphine gas generated by dropping aluminum phosphide tablets in water. Cars treated with this stuff get that DANGER: PHOSPHOTOXIN card taped to them that I'm sure all heads are familiar with.

Theyre pretty outta whack throughout the whole thing, really. Never turn them on when showing someone for the first time unless they are an incredible sub elitist.

I need to see the new version, and compare some picture quality. I kinda like the not-cleaned up look, makes it seem all old school and eighties-looking.

maurice is the new re-stamp for the gsrx high gondolas... first the salty toy tries to use someones name in vain to gain money and then its sonny to the rescue, I bet the re-stamp of these newly introduced gondolas (some local or semi-local line and not the gondolas themselves, only the initials) get changed to MRCX or something along those lines...

It is an open top woodchip hopper.

The more interesting car with an hpjx is this car.

pictures%5C40461%5CDSC00734.JPG

As it is an old boxcar, with the doors welded shut, and the top cut off

can't see your picture but i recognized the description and the hpjx marking, caught this about two months ago, long car, a door and an open top seemed unusuall, i thought it must just be a converted box car for junk or just mutipurpose, cool car never seen one before now

DSC02998.jpg

There were a bunch of these parked in Klamath Falls when I passed through there a couple of months ago.

Wow that thing is still runnin' strong! That's awesome.. Not toyed out-dissed out or anything..Look at that 90's krylon still holdin' fast and kickin much ass..Beautiful...

We used to pull a similar style car that was outfitted in an all black paint job......When I worked for CSX we would call the black ones "garbage cars" too...I was told a lot of them we moved were full of debris from the Twin towers after the 9/11 thing..Apparently the trash and debris was so much of an over load that they were not dumping it in their normal "go to" dumps of the area..even with new jersey being so close!!! ha...The ones I puled were absolutely crushed in NY graff, and I beleive had the letters NY in the reporting marks...Does anyone have flicks of the ones im referencing?????/

I used to see the black flat trash cars years ago with BFTX marks (Bill Frank Transportation). They had either trash or what's called C & D (construction and demolition debris) in them. They were all grilled, I rarely found a spot on them I was comfortable hitting. Some C & D cars come through my area now but they all have big ridges and are no fun to paint.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now