fashion rap

taper

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this post is funny really

i picture you crying as you typed this.

um. oh yea. i bet you like outkast, i know i do. did you know on their first album, "southernplayalistikcadillacmuzik", they rhymed all about poppin caps, beatin niggas, fuckin afro bitches, smokin weed, and pushin dope cadillacs? i'd rather listen to that than i would stankonia...shit's raw.

you suck

i can already tell you, if i was rich as a mainstream hip hop artist, i'd be rollin on 20's in my escalade while bumpin st. lunatics, no doubt man. i wouldnt be some dumbass with millions of dollars riding the bus listenin to abstract rude wearin a backpack filled with poop...i'd be out rollin in my escalade hollerin at bitches

i know home boy up top is pissed off about alot of the shit that dont make sense to him , yeah its the ghetto, ghetto fab is to top of the chain in some places. not the suburbs or sunny place U.S.A>

these niggas rapp about themselves wich gets wak really fast, but fuck it, what can we do. we know alot of these rappers came out got no skills just promotion and financial backers. i could start namin these fools but why waste ya time.

its true niggas rap about the biggest shit they want or got but what the fuck can be done about it. if you could put out a stronger message than go for yours. but all this hiphop shit comes from the ghetto and no where else. and in the ghetto , worring about what rapper joe is saying is completly irrelivant. niggas just want the newest shit, the illest beats and just wanna here their favorite rapper yap away. some of these cats in the ghetto are gettin money like that. some of these cats are sellin and robbin, some of these cats dont got skills either.so they listen to what ever they listen to

who gives a fuck.

the point is here.

if you "BELONG" to a certain genre of rap then go "belong" with them

but dont knock anybody if you CANT BELONG to their group.

hes crying out because he cant make sense of thug level and why somebody would say these things

i aint no thug either, just a man

Originally posted by seeking innocence

the first important key here, is the 'if anything" placed at the front. im saying that if there is 'rights of ownership' to be had, it sure as shit does not fall with the people who came around twenty years late and 'discovered' it. thats like saying that columbus actually 'discovered' america.

the second is the phrase "scrub her with bleach then canonize her new form while condemning her old one"

by 'scrubing her with bleach' i am not refering to white emcees or white people in hip hop, i mean injecting a whole new set of alien morals, values and beliefs into an existing body. canonize means to sanctify, or give some sort of godlike divinity too. what i was saying is that if anyone is going to be pissed off about the state of hip hop, it should be black people, who had hip hop taken from them, mutated, then are being told that their hip hop is the 'wrong' hip hop, but this new version is the 'right' one. this is the exactly what happend to blues, jazz and rock and roll. it was considered 'bad' then a few white people got involved, homogonized it, made it marketable, then all of a sudden it was good.

think of christian missionaries that go into the jungles of south america. they go into a village of people that has existed for thousands of years. with them they bring 'jesus christ.' these people are now being told that their gods are wrong, and that jesus is right. why is he right? well, because the missionaries said so, thats why.

do you get my point?

i wont argue that the ghettos need more 'uplifting' messages in their lives, but until that upliftment is something they can relate to, they're never going to listen.

are we clear now?

The sad part is that alot of the kids are falling for it. And this applies to most races of people right now, but unfortunately, it's the black kids (the ones in my area at least, in oakland) - that are taking this consumerism to very ironic levels. It's not about racking so much as "having". People are spending entirely too much of their money on things with labels across the chest - which ironically goes back to the extremely wealthy. I find it very odd that alot of these kids in rather poor neighborhoods are becoming walking billboards. And the mainstream music industry continues to cater to people's greed and insecurity - reminding everyone that they must own this or that, otherwise they are not complete.

honestly, this has always been the case... kool G rap and DJ POLO(?!) LL sproting TROOP in every picture... 4 inch thick gold chains. its not that black folks are all of a sudden becoming billboards, its that the world is producing more of them to put on.

bottom line is that people know the shit is expensive, thats why 'iceberg' was so popular, not because anyone wanted a picture of snoopy on their chest, but because everyone knew it was a $45 t-shirt. blah... im tired to care about something i cant change. im a white kid. no one will ever listen to me anyway.

If you've been on this board for morethen a month, this topic has already been beaten into your head with an aluminum baseball bat repeatedly.

Seeking , his associates, and most of the other comments are right. We've all learned a lesson.

And people who write lyrics someimes write to aleviate themselves out of their current situation/mental struggle, etc etc. Wa laa.

Same shit happens with rock, metal, hardcore. Kids weaing bandanas......straight edge kids........philsophieson selling out.... theories on what IS hardcore....what IS punk.......etc. Its all the same bullshit.

Just be yourself.

Re: Re: fashion rap

ok, schools in session.

1. it came from the very first days of hip hop, before records, before contracts, when people rapped at block parties and tried to out do eachother for local respect.

2. who gives a shit if they've listend to cannibal ox? since when are you in the position to decide definitivly what is and is not 'hip hop'? how long have you been listening to 'underground' hip hop? a year? 2 years? thats what i thought.

3. hip hop came from the same streets, blocks, ghettos and neighborhoods that these kids you speak of live in. if anything, they should be pissed off that you dragged hip hop off to the suburbs to scrub her with bleach and then canonize her new form while condemning her old one. and i would go so far as to say you clearly have absolutely no idea what it is or where it came from.

4. the next faded trend? like metal, glam, grunge, rap/rock and whatever else bullshit term the media wants to throw on popular rock and roll? or are they not 'trends' because they are accepted, embraced and made universal by the media at large. hate to inform you of this, but i was in the MOMA (metropolitan museum of art) the other day and saw a 50 year old white guy wearing an outkast sweater. soon the whole world will be sporting esco and rockawear.

5. of course you dont consider it a culture, because its completely foreign to you. it doesnt reflect the life you grew up in. HOWEVER, it does reflect the lifestyles of the tens of millions of people that it was created for. and im not saying that all black folks in the ghetto talk about wanting 20 inch rims on their cars, to understand what im saying you would have to understand the mindset of a world that isnt yours. a group of people that dont rely on self indulgent, whiney diatribes about how their girlfriend left them, how much you love hip hop and how your mad cause your parents want you to go to their college, but you want to go to a different one out of state. you dont understand it because it was'nt meant for you, just as your vision of 'hip hop' wasnt meant for them. that doesnt make either one any more universaly valid and acceptible. im sure plenty of folks that like ludacris think your 'underground' shit is souless, thesaurus, big word nonsense. it all hinges of relativity and since your world is not at the axis of the universe, your in no position to be making judgement calls for the rest of us.

i would love to hear an intelligent rebuttle, however the ignorance of your initial statement and my complete destruction of every misguided, ill informed, bullshit point you tried to make leads to believe that really, theres absolutely nothing you can say in your defense.

seeking/anticon.

you say all this shit about them dragging it off..that's true but where do you think anticon cats come from..bed stuy?

anticon doesnt come from bed stuy, but every emcee in anticon (with the exception of why?) grew up listening to hip hop since the 80's. back when you got picked on for being white and listening to hip hop. that is why the guys in anticon can appreciate nelly, jay z and the shit that gets put out today, because they arent concerned with being 'underground,' they're concerned with being emcees, dj's and producers just like the people they grew up listening to. they see how todays hip hop is a direct line from the past. ask anyone in anticon who their favorite emcees are and i gurante you'll hear E-40 and biggie's name's just as much as aceyalone, mikah9 and pharoh monch.

anticons fans are a bit of a different story, but anticon is true to the core. and if you think you can even begin to argue this with me, you're fooling yourself.

if anyone is going to be pissed off about the state of hip hop, it should be black people, who had hip hop taken from them, mutated, then are being told that their hip hop is the 'wrong' hip hop, but this new version is the 'right' one. this is the exactly what happend to blues, jazz and rock and roll. it was considered 'bad' then a few white people got involved, homogonized it, made it marketable, then all of a sudden it was good.

True, but a lot of the people involved with the roots of blues, jazz and rock and roll were also white, so I think it's more the 'corporate' aspect that is to blame, and less the straight-up white (although a certain level of "whiteness" does play into it, I won't front).

Same thing can be said about hip hop nowadays. It started out as 'bad', corporate types gotta hold of it, and now you see jay-z 'flossin' on mtv with bottles of champagne while nelly rocks band-aids, and these things are more universally accepted -- my mother was even trying to tell me something about Dr. Dre the other day. The new 'bad' type of hip hop, or the kind that isn't really being accepted by the majority yet, seems to be the type that makes you think a bit more, or has evolved somewhat from its original form (and is also being practiced by a variety of races, not just white and black). Don't forget that hip hop was starting to head in a more message-oriented/thought-provoking/political direction just before the big, commercial explosion of the 90's -- the way I see it, it just got sidetracked, and there's a collective of musicians out there who are picking up where it might have left off, and incorporating some more updated elements into it based on how it's been thus far received.

I still agree with you on a bunch of shit though, there's definitely something to be said about people who haven't really grown up around hip hop all-of-the sudden trying to claim ownership and control of it.

there were alot of white people involved with the creation of jazz, blues and rock and roll, huh? lets just both admit that you completely made that up with no substantiating information and disregard it completely...

hip hop is a commodity just like soft drinks, cars and computers. thats the problem. when art becomes a business it loses its integrity every time.

Well I was just talking bro, didn't know you were looking for concrete-type evidence.

Some of the turn-of-the century greats from New Orleans and the beginnings of jazz and dixieland were white. Sidney Arodin (the dude who wrote 'lazy river'), Jack Pappa Laine, Tom Brown, The Brunies brothers, ... Nick la Rocca. Obviously there were whites who heard a lot of the old-school, creole blues/jazz-style music and copied it, but the guys I mentioned were right along with the times, learning from, with and creating with black musicians while getting the music more widely heard (due mainly to unfortunate racist shit at the time). If it wasn't for people like the dixieland jass band, despite their whiteness, you might never have heard modern, popular, and great musicians like coltrane, armstrong ... b.b king.

I don't even feel like going into how many white people were around and helped with the origins of rock and roll, I'm sure you and I both know that they were there.

Anyways...

anticon doesnt come from bed stuy, but every emcee in anticon (with the exception of why?) grew up listening to hip hop since the 80's. back when you got picked on for being white and listening to hip hop. that is why the guys in anticon can appreciate nelly, jay z and the shit that gets put out today, because they arent concerned with being 'underground,' they're concerned with being emcees, dj's and producers just like the people they grew up listening to. they see how todays hip hop is a direct line from the past. ask anyone in anticon who their favorite emcees are and i gurante you'll hear E-40 and biggie's name's just as much as aceyalone, mikah9 and pharoh monch.

anticons fans are a bit of a different story, but anticon is true to the core. and if you think you can even begin to argue this with me, you're fooling yourself.

i dont care who they listen to. i listen to underground because the cats have skill. half the cats on the radio have walk ass beats and rhyme about being big cats on the block and bling bling. i would like to shoot each one in the fucking face. i dont give a fuck about images son.

haha, you just called me 'son.' thats funny.

my point was that if your 'heroes' can appreciate the stuff you call 'complete shit' perhaps there is something to it. and id love to see your white, suburban maine ass talk shit to any of those 'jiggy' guys. you wanna shoot em in the face huh? even jermaine dupri would kick your ass...

you dotn have to like it, but admit that you dotn understand it and move on.

the problem with kids that wanna diss 'mainstream' rap, and talk about how 'bad' it is, is that 9 out of 10 dont know a single person that the music is made for. they dont know, talk to, or hang out with the people who really like that shit. and if they do, its white suburban kids just like themselfs, who dont know shit either....

Guest kasmoney

damn seeking you on point like a needle....rember there are sum black kids in suburbs too..but us white kids are the only one that dont know shit rite?

im not saying that white kids as a whole, inherently, dont know shit. but i am saying that growing up in a suburban setting does not give you the proper perspective to be able to understand where they are coming from. just as growing up in the inner city doesnt give you the perspecitve to understand why people wanna rap about dictionaries and shit.

its the reason ras kass has never gone gold, and why 75% of del's fan base is white.

chill. im laughing at whats above me. its true about dictionary raps audience.

look. lets face it,,, rap( which is what we are talkin about ) is from the ghetto.. but everybody is making money off of it. so its gonna get killed and get the blood sucked out of it. its a no win situation. the corporate monsters have sunk their teeth in and all we can do is wait for something else to come around to make more money for them... Hopefully it will be raver shit or something(scary as fuck) .

but its also why graffiti is dieing. we see it on tv and it gets less appealing to do cuz your whole life youve wanted to stay away from the mainstream and not do what everybody is doing. doing yourown shit. but now at our age we look at whats gonna make money for us. do we sell out our art to live calmly. or do we go work for the man.... desision desisions desisions.

question???????????????????

did zephyr do the graff for destinies child video with missy eliot.????

pardon me boys.......

now I amn't here to pass any judgement on hip hop or rap. And I make no apology from my white/lesbian/notoldschool/american ex-patriate status.

I quite like "dictonary" rap, same way I like poetry and literature, therefore I appreciate it. A black kid may (or may not) connect with something totally different, that is fine. But I can't tell them they're wrong and they can't tell me I'm wrong.

My point is this: every one is moaning on of late about how graf/rap/hip hop is dying because rich people/ white people/ large corporations/ anyone who isn't a member of the demographic that spawned it/ isn't YOU are getting involved. I disagree, the only thing that will kill any of these off is if it becomes stagnant, and it will if everyone is so closeminded about who can be involved, or what themes are apropriate, or where it can be done, or what tools you can use. If you wish to TRULY contribute, you may have to inovate...............god forbid.

also, While bitching about white people liking hip op but not understanding it's roots, remember where the language came from............but language doesn't belong to anyone any more than rap/hip hop/poetry/art etc. does

I know a black guy who is a goth, would that make him a wannabe? does it mean he can't really "get it" man?

just an observation - not pissing on anyones parade....

seeking true,true on your first post but ill add this i like what it was in the 80s everyone was peace just out to party and have fun no matter color race beliefes or whatever i wish hip-hop was peace again not this i know hip-hop more or i listen to better hip-hop bullshit......////....i probley didnt do anything with that reply ohhhh..well no one will read it anyways//....................////..............and also fasion was dope in the 80s mannn there was ill shit back then......////.....

Rap knows where it started, but should it stay there and there only? I'm not a black guy from the ghetto so I can't come from that angle, but I DO see the progression of it into something larger as a good thing. By saying "something larger" I don't mean what people like Biggie, Nas, Jay-Z, etc. have made out of it, I'm leaning more to what people like Living Legends, Kweli, Common, Acey, even Anticon have done on their own.

This type of shit is still just my own opinion, and I'm not gonna dislike someone or hate on them because they are a fan of something I'm not, but at the same time I'm not going to apologize to them for having an opinion about a form of music that's been a part of my life since I was young, even if it wasn't initially intended for me.

haha, you just called me 'son.' thats funny.

my point was that if your 'heroes' can appreciate the stuff you call 'complete shit' perhaps there is something to it. and id love to see your white, suburban maine ass talk shit to any of those 'jiggy' guys. you wanna shoot em in the face huh? even jermaine dupri would kick your ass...

you dotn have to like it, but admit that you dotn understand it and move on.

the problem with kids that wanna diss 'mainstream' rap, and talk about how 'bad' it is, is that 9 out of 10 dont know a single person that the music is made for. they dont know, talk to, or hang out with the people who really like that shit. and if they do, its white suburban kids just like themselfs, who dont know shit either....

apparently you have never been to maine..i did not know suburbs existed here..yeah i would like to shoot them in the face, i dont understand why there were complications understanding this..hmm i do travel alot and i know alot of heads...perhaps i do talk to these "jiggy" fellows..thats a mighty gay word aswell..you're only 22, why do you act like your god?? you have like ten thousand posts..whats this mean...You're not up?? you dont write?? or youre on house arrest..??

honestly, this has always been the case... kool G rap and DJ POLO(?!) LL sproting TROOP in every picture... 4 inch thick gold chains. its not that black folks are all of a sudden becoming billboards, its that the world is producing more of them to put on.

bottom line is that people know the shit is expensive, thats why 'iceberg' was so popular, not because anyone wanted a picture of snoopy on their chest, but because everyone knew it was a $45 t-shirt. blah... im tired to care about something i cant change. im a white kid. no one will ever listen to me anyway.

Yeah - that point is understood - the roots, the history - where it all began.

I think I am more or less agreeing with your points, but I'm straying from the original point of mainstream hip hop to another point all together.

But I'm not from the suburbs, never have been in fact - I do know many people who love mostly only mainstream/big label rap, and it's true, you gotta appreciate everything at some point or another. Heck - I like Kriss Kross and Nice and Smooth - there I said it. But I don't have MTV, so I don't even know who these new guys are like Nelly and Lil Romeo except from Bus stop bench ads. The ads suggest to me that it's all reaching a wonderful new level of rediculousness that you gotta love on some level.

yo, i had the kriss kross single (jump) too... and nice & smooth were fresh back in the day.

i feel bad for anyone that didnt get a chance to stand in line to buy a public enemy record the day it came out. if you werent there then, you honestly missed out on some of the best years of music in the last half a century... shit just doesnt compare today.

I was in India. They weren't too hip on rap back there.

I loved how Anthrax and Public Enemy collaborated on that one album of Anthrax's (Attack of the Killer B's, or was it Persistence of Time). Also it's rad that in the movie Tougher than Leather - the Slayer guys are the villains - its great!

hip hop was just so much more innocent then. it was still abotu bragging about yoru money and shit, but it was funny. it still had a message. the first ghetto boys album (makin trouble, not 5th ward boys) had 'assasin' backed with a song about staying in school. it was fucking retarded, but it was funny. hip hop could laugh at itself. i dont know.... i just cant deny that the only shit i like now a days is 'mainstream' shit. and this is coming from someone who has been trading tapes of 'underground' since 'underground' meant wu-tang demos and unreleased das efx tracks.

Archived