getting your shit together?

twinky the kid

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got mad anxiety and dont believe in taking them either. So often i feel as if i should but believe the natural way is the best. However the only true way to get rid of it is straighten out your life. Finishing a project or task usually subdues it for a bit till the glory wears off and im back to being lazy. I found the best way to rid anxiety/depression is to just take controll of your life and do what you need to fuckin due.

DONT JOIN THE NAVY...I HAD TO DO IT IN 97'..FUCKIN SCARED STRAIGHT PROGRAM..

the only thing i learned from there is how to smoke and mop concrete..oh and clean bird shit off F/A 18..being on a boat sucks..boot camp is redonkilously easy,if you cant do a jumping jack or push up..kill youreslf..

• Like 1

I was in the same situation. Im working my way out of it now. I up and left my home city of 23 years to a new area where there really isnt many distractions. Basically that means I aint got shit to do for fun so Im forced to work on myself. Sometimes changing life drastically can jump start your system.

I dont recommend military. Yeah theyll motivate you and youll do shit but you do sign your life away. Many of my friends have done that and basically they dont do shit with their life. They just get shipped out...wait...come home and drink...repeat. I see that as the same life being home, work, eat, drink and sleep.

you really just need to decide you want to better your situation on just do it. there isn't much else to it. being responsible and handling your business is great once you taste a little bit of success from accomplishing what you set out to accomplish. i used to be really lazy, and didnt get much done either. then i started handling my business at my job, getting more serious about life in general, and going after my goals.

now i have a cool car, just bought my first house, and i'm doing really well for myself. And it feels good like i said. It's also fun surprising people who never thought you would be shit in the first place, and showing them you can make it in life, and are doing even better than they are...

usually when shit is really bad you dont have time to complain about it, bcyoure too busy trying to make ends meet.

trust me its not as bad as you think, bitching about everything is a luxury people do not realize, when shit hits the fan there is not a second available to cry about "oh all my problems". IE your settlement $, youre not in as bad a place as you think, that mental block is all in your head. push yourself to have more control over your life rather then "life" making decisions for you.

p.s. we love you twink

you'll get a kick in the ass when you had more than enough of being stagnat...might take a few more months or possibly years...count your blessing though homie, a lot of people would love to be in your shoes..be grateful!

something you can do first that would be a hella good jumpstart would be putting down the cash and seeing a psychiatrist no matter what the cost. Possibly get on an anti-depressant. that should be your number one priority...shit aint gonna fix you, you gotta do 90% yourself, but it could take away that anxiety/depression barrier to a degree to push through.

chin up dawg!

i dunno why i'm giving you advice, because i've seen your asshole on tinychat, but dude... biggest step you can make is DON'T RUN AWAY FROM REALITY......

don't get super wasted. take on some sort of responsibility and knock that bitch out like you've got something to prove. handling responsibilities+not being a drunk wreck=no more depression.

I agree with pitofzombie's completely..I deal with anxiety,depression,panic attacks but i have never taken meds for that shit mainly because i have had a past of abusing drugs,and its just not worth the money. Im living in the same boat as you,no job,no car and a lack of motivation..at least you still have your sanity,there are alot of people living in this world that have no options but to become some sort of outcast to society and live on the street because they have no friends,family and no social skills to make it anywhere in life..

Just try to keep a grip on what matters to you the most,pick up an old hobby or maybe some new ones,anyone can overcome their life problems if you just apply yourself,that is if you want anything out of your life..In my situation i have alot of friends telling me that i should goto college,get a job and realize what i want to do with myself,but fuck that.. this world was built on bullshit expectations and standards that everyone has followed blindly, its very pathetic that most people cannot live without relying on automobiles,television and the acceptance from others.

Hahah i just ranted up a storm..But my point is,quit worrying about petty bullshit and others opinions,just set your mind on what is important and pursue that shit whatever it may be..YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.

nothing wrong with taking meds if you really need them, meds fix or help to fix chemical imbalances in your body. sitting around feeling sorry for yourself while being anti med aint going to do shit for you and will most likely make it worse.

i admit meds dont always correct these imbalances and arent always needed to fix them but its worth a try.

before i hear any bitching about what i just said im gonna say i have first hand experience on said subject so if you dont just save your breath now.

twinky arent you 19 or some shit? what the fuck you mean by needing to get your shit together, dude your still a kid for real, its common these days for people to not start careers and families till into their thirties.

real talk brotha.. good luck tho with whatever you do.

being homeless got my ass in gear. live in a city where you don't know anyone, (not in a van) down by the river. that'll show you how bad shit can get REAL quick. once you pull yourself up by yourself, your outlook on how tough things are will change real quick, and you'll be somewhat of an urban survivalist. i've got the same problems (from what i'm reading at least) mentally, and the meds don't do really anything. i kept an 'emergency joint' to calm me down if i freaked out, and that was about it for 3-4 months. keeps your world in perspective. if you can pull yourself up from nothing, then life is a lot easier.

my two cents. but hopefully some useful advice. i don't advocate everyone doing this, since i had to get the fuck out of dodge to escape a crazy family member trying to kill me, but if you need THAT big of a change in your life....it worked for me!

it's cool some people are taking this seriously. one thing that helped me start to work out my self-defeating bullshit is you have to realize - your pain/struggle/depression/life are all you have to draw from. i would never admit that being a neglected child would have the affect on me that it did cause i knew kids that had it much worse. now that i have and am working trough some of the shit that has created in the way i deal with life, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

i'm in the curse of 27 right now...... been in therapy for 4 months straight and trying to get meds right..... i gave up on being against meds cause i couldn't "think my way out" of my head and i didn't want to ruin my marriage cause i didn't think i needed medicated. which is a total symptom of anxiety, refusal to meds.

mines not an issue of being to young and needing to figure it out. i got the marriage, mortgage and 2.5 kids and shit , now i'm just trying to figure out how to be happy in the monotony of grown up life. right now i'm trying to be proactive with life and its sucks. talk therapy sucks, but really helps with the self-defeating behaviour, once you figure out where it comes from. SSRI's and ritalin are where i'm at...... but the no insurance thing can fuck you with mental health. in oregon they have to consider it the same a any other health benefit but that still means you need insurance though.

sorry to suggest only stuff that you technically don't have the resources for ..... kinda a dick move.

tales10.jpg.787ca5fa257b1540648be49e09c585a8.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom

Boredom

Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the opportunities surrounding them. The first record of the word boredom is in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens, written in 1852,[1] in which it appears six times, although the expression to be a bore had been used in the sense of "to be tiresome or dull" since 1768.[2]

Contents [hide]

1 Psychology

2 Philosophy

3 Causes and effects

4 Popular culture and the arts

5 See also

6 References

Psychology

Boredom in terms of challenge level and skill level. Clickable.[3]Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest in and difficulty concentrating on the current activity.”[4] M. R. Leary and others describe boredom as “an affective experience associated with cognitive attentional processes.”[5] In positive psychology, anxiety is described as a response to a moderate challenge for which the subject has more than enough skill.[3] These definitions make it clear that boredom arises not from a lack of things to do but from the inability to latch onto any specific activity.

There are three types of boredom, all of which involve problems of engagement of attention. These include times when we are prevented from engaging in something, when we are forced to engage in some unwanted activity, or when we are simply unable, for no apparent reason, to maintain engagement in any activity or spectacle.[6] Boredom proneness is a tendency to experience boredom of all types. This is typically assessed by the Boredom Proneness Scale.[7] Consistent with the definition provided above, recent research has found that boredom proneness is clearly and consistently associated with failures of attention.[8] Boredom and boredom proneness are both theoretically and empirically linked to depression and depressive symptoms.[9][10][11] Nonetheless, boredom proneness has been found to be as strongly correlated with attentional lapses as with depression.[9] Although boredom is often viewed as a trivial and mild irritant, proneness to boredom has been linked to a very diverse range of possible psychological, physical, educational, and social problems.

Philosophy

Boredom is a condition characterized by perception of one's environment as dull, tedious, and lacking in stimulation. This can result from leisure and a lack of aesthetic interests. Labor, however, and even art may be alienated and passive, or immersed in tedium (see Marx's theory of alienation). There is an inherent anxiety in boredom; people will expend considerable effort to prevent or remedy it, yet in many circumstances, it is accepted as suffering to be endured. Common passive ways to escape boredom are to sleep or to think creative thoughts (daydream). Typical active solutions consist in an intentional activity of some sort, often something new, as familiarity and repetition lead to the tedious.

Boredom also plays a role in existentialist thought. In contexts where one is confined, spatially or otherwise, boredom may be met with various religious activities, not because religion would want to associate itself with tedium, but rather, partly because boredom may be taken as the essential human condition, to which God, wisdom, or morality are the ultimate answers. Boredom is in fact taken in this sense by virtually all existentialist philosophers as well as by Schopenhauer. Heidegger wrote about boredom in two texts available in English, in the 1929/30 semester lecture course The Fundamental Concepts of Metaphysics, and again in the essay What is Metaphysics? published in the same year. In the lecture, Heidegger included about 100 pages on boredom, probably the most extensive philosophical treatment ever of the subject. He focused on waiting at train stations in particular as a major context of boredom.[12] In Kierkegaard's remark in Either/Or, that "patience cannot be depicted" visually, there is a sense that any immediate moment of life may be fundamentally tedious.

Without stimulus or focus, the individual is confronted with nothingness, the meaninglessness of existence, and experiences existential anxiety. Heidegger states this idea nicely: "Profound boredom, drifting here and there in the abysses of our existence like a muffling fog, removes all things and men and oneself along with it into a remarkable indifference. This boredom reveals being as a whole."[13] Arthur Schopenhauer used the existence of boredom in an attempt to prove the vanity of human existence, stating, "...for if life, in the desire for which our essence and existence consists, possessed in itself a positive value and real content, there would be no such thing as boredom: mere existence would fulfil and satisfy us."[14]

Erich Fromm and other similar thinkers of critical theory speak of bourgeois society in terms similar to boredom, and Fromm mentions sex and the automobile as fundamental outlets of postmodern boredom. Above and beyond taste and character, the universal case of boredom consists in any instance of waiting, as Heidegger noted, such as in line, for someone else to arrive or finish a task, or while one is travelling. Boredom, however, may also increase as travel becomes more convenient, as the vehicle may become more like the windowless monad in Leibniz's monadology.[citation needed] The automobile requires fast reflexes, making its operator busy and hence, perhaps for other reasons as well, making the ride more tedious despite being over sooner.

Causes and effects

Although it has not been widely studied, research on boredom suggests that boredom is a major factor impacting diverse areas of a person's life. People ranked low on a boredom-proneness scale were found to have better performance in a wide variety of aspects of their lives, including career, education, and autonomy.[15] Boredom can be a symptom of clinical depression. Boredom can be a form of learned helplessness, a phenomenon closely related to depression. Some philosophies of parenting propose that if children are raised in an environment devoid of stimuli, and are not allowed or encouraged to interact with their environment, they will fail to develop the mental capacities to do so.

The Princess Who Never Smiled by Viktor VasnetsovIn a learning environment, a common cause of boredom is lack of understanding; for instance, if one is not following or connecting to the material in a class or lecture, it will usually seem boring. However, the opposite can also be true; something that is too easily understood, simple or transparent, can also be boring. Boredom is often inversely related to learning, and in school it may be a sign that a student is not challenged enough, or too challenged. An activity that is predictable to the students is likely to bore them.[16]

A study of 1989 indicated that an individual's impression of boredom may be influenced by the individuals degree of attention, as a higher acoustic level of distraction from the environment correlated with higher reportings of boredom.[17]

Boredom has been studied as being related to drug abuse among teens.[18] Boredom has been proposed as a cause of pathological gambling behavior. A study found results consistent with the hypothesis that pathological gamblers seek stimulation to avoid states of boredom and depression.[19]

Popular culture and the arts

In Chapter 18 of the novel The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (1854–1900) it is written; "The only horrible thing in the world is ennui, Dorian. That is the one sin for which there is no forgiveness." John Sebastian, Iggy Pop, the Deftones, Buzzcocks, and Blink-182 have all written songs with boredom mentioned in the title. Other songs about boredom and activities people turn to when bored include Green Day's song "Longview", System of a Down's "Lonely Day", and Bloodhound Gang's "Mope". Douglas Adams depicted a robot named Marvin the Paranoid Android whose boredom appeared to be the defining trait of his existence in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The 1969 Vocational Guidance Counsellor sketch on Monty Python's Flying Circus established a lasting stereotype of accountants as boring.[20] The Yellow Pages used to carry an entry under Boring, "See civil engineers", but this was changed in 1996 to "See sites exploration."[21]

See also

Apathy

Boreout

Dysthymia

Motivation

read this it may help if you are into self healing.