Your Art Thread

Hayabusa

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

One of my roommates had worked at the shop before that and was moving out of state so they were going to need somebody.  I always thought stained glass was cool and was already good at soldering which lots of people have trouble with so they were happy they didn't have to try to teach me that part...   from what I could tell working there / seeing other people's stuff over the years, soldering is something people either pick up and get good at quickly or never quite get the hang of...  

If you're interested in it, search for studios where you live, lots of them do 8-10 hour crash courses for pretty cheap;   otherwise just go in and tell them you're interested and they'll probably let you hang out and watch / bullshit.  It's something you can easily do while talking / thinking about something else for large parts of it so you're not gonna be distracting anybody. 

Other than that you can get a good diamond grinder, solder iron, glass cutter, and other non-consumable shit for under $300 for everything we commonly used in the shop.  Most of the costs are in the glass itself...  something like a simple solid color without a texture might be ~$4-8 for 9 square feet.  More complicated glass patterns and textures vary a lot in price.   For example this stuff is $140 for 4 square feet:

bullseye_mottle.jpg.002bde41f81a420f8ce4c8b789e40ac5.jpg

If you're starting off doing it as a hobby though, lots of studios will have "scrap" laying around that's usually a mix of broken pieces pulled from restored windows, small pieces of really expensive stuff that aren't big enough to trust in a job, or small-medium pieces of common solid colors that are just taking up space.  Our shop sold the scrap glass for a couple bucks a pound (or gave it away depending on how fed up we were with tripping over it) and you can get enough for some smaller windows really cheap that way. 

Lead is about $240 for 270 feet of channel lead which will last you forever doing smaller stuff, or you can do copper foiling.   Solder runs about $12 a roll.  The rest of the consumable supplies are dirt cheap and will generally outlast a pallet load of lead.

It's nearly impossible to get lead poisoning from the alloys currently used, so I wouldn't sweat that too much.  A solid 4x6 tabletop that you can tap nails into to hold the window / glass / lead in place during assembly and a smoother board to cut on + small table to sit the grinder on is plenty of space to put together a 3x5 window on top of so you don't really need that much working area either.

That's probably more info than you needed but thought I'd post it in case anyone is interested in doing this lol.

• Props 1

• 3 weeks later...