Phish 11-29-09

Avesism

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ralph,

I was lucky enough to see the Grateful Dead 3 times.

I've been lucky enough to see Phish 137 times.

I've got good friends who are fairly even on both ends.

No one who knows what they're talking about with either band calls PH a GD rip.

Try again.

Or don't.

wow, thats allotta pertroli!

relax, it is what it is...

imo, they cover songs 2 often, and i think trey is annoying, they arent a dead rip becuz they r a jam band... i like string cheese ect... ive seen allota shows myself, i think they r a dead rip because of the way they carried themselves, not because of the music persay...

First off, I'm not a really a Phan, but I respect them...I've seen them a few times and have had some tapes over the years, but that's about it. I was shocked to learn that Phish used to play Dead covers...in one way it makes sense but I never thought they were anything alike besides them both being jam bands, and they're very different jam bands at that.

Theme's right. Making comparisons between Phish and the Dead (or either band to anyone or anything else, really) is pretty laughable.

Right on, shai. Thanks for um...for giving a developed opinion! (god forbid!)

Yeah, I was essentially trying to give a link to some (IMHO) some really rad live music I just caught. Um, I think the majority of the people who posted in this thread didn't have the cognitive ability, nor the patience to take that for what it was worth (click link, watch vid.).

So it goes...

Right on, shai. Thanks for um...for giving a developed opinion! (god forbid!)

Yeah, I was essentially trying to give a link to some (IMHO) some really rad live music I just caught. Um, I think the majority of the people who posted in this thread didn't have the cognitive ability, nor the patience to take that for what it was worth (click link, watch vid.).

So it goes...

I gave up on trying to explain why I like the Grateful Dead to people. I can't defend them, most of what people say about the Dead is usually misinformed. Some of it's true if you're coming from a certain perspective...you either get it or you don't. Phish is the same thing, I imagine.

Some people want to get to the punchline in three minutes or less. Makes you wonder if they're like that when it comes to sex.

phish played a show this summer in my neighborhood. i had like 20 different groups of fans ring my bell asking to camp out in my driveway. then they would ask for bread or cheese, at first i didn't know why, but later on i saw some people husling grilled cheese sandwiches down the street from me. thats my one and only phish story.

I'm almost a decade older than you, and I don't smoke weed.

I wasn't referring to you anyway. Most people who talk shit about bands like the Dead or Phish have never really listened to them, their opinion is based strictly off of hearsay and maybe a couple of encounters with the fan base.

I usually give stuff a chance before I make up my mind to write it off. It's only fair.

"I wasn't referring to you anyway. Most people who talk shit about bands like the Dead or Phish have never really listened to them, their opinion is based strictly off of hearsay and maybe a couple of encounters with the fan base.

I usually give stuff a chance before I make up my mind to write it off. It's only fair."

I had serious doubts about making a Grateful Dead thread here...it did better than I expected but it's not exactly getting tons of hits or posts.

My connection to current popular culture is practically nil. I have no idea what's going on in music or film, nor do I really care. Most of what gets discussed here in that department goes right over my head and I have no reason to speak on it...I would just sound foolish if I tried. I don't hate any of it, I just don't participate for my own reasons.

And it's no different when people here bring up all the tired comparisons and cliches around jam bands. As I said, some of what's said is true but a lot of the people who want to talk shit don't even know where the truth lies, or can grasp the concept that it's possible to like the music and have a separate identity from it...after all, I'm sure most of you are hustling and pushing Benzes, but I digress.