Colleges!

`Melinoe

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way the economy and jobs are so loopy you never know what degree might secure you that job after 4 years of college. I suggest going to a trade school and maybe learning to weld. One of my boys down in FL did like 2 years and got a couple of certs in welding. He now makes an easy 2gs a week doing spot welding at a near power plant. Works basically on call, gets an automatic 300 added to his pay check when he gets called on a day off. No lie Ive seen the paychecks since I doubted him at first.

go to a school for what it's known for. some are known for teaching credentials, business, engineering, bio, etc. and get ur degree in that particular field.

im a full advocate of doing the toughest, and highest paid degree and going thru the bullshit at an early age for a better outcome down the line.

google what majors get paid the best out of college.

wanna major in psychology? ur ass better be focusing on getting a phd later on.

u wanna stay in school for that long? can u commit to the time/making no money for that long?

if you can, more power to u.

if not, and u want money straight out of college, get to something else.

now adays, BS/BA degrees are a dime a dozen. you need at least a masters degree to match unless

it's a scientific field (i'm pretty much just talking engineering here).

masters degrees are getting worthless also, esp. masters degrees matched w/ some shit like political science.

the main goal is to make urself marketable after school. the more niche, "hard" and "exclusive" degrees pay the best.

trade schools are good. my boy went to one, gets paid, but is also in major debt b/c of it.

furthermore, since i'm writing on this topic, everybody wants to do what they "really" want to do in life for a living.

that's awesome, if you can, even better - im jealous of you.

but, until that time comes and u can take that great risk of not making money, and being broke as fuck until you reached that moment of success, get a degree that pays well - even if it isn't ur first choice.. who knows, maybe you'll like it.

i've stated quite a few times on here that i'm an electrical engineer. i fucked around in HS, and buckled down in college. i had a goal of making money. big sized money. and i wanted it right out of college. now it wasn't the first thing on my want-to-do-list for life, but i enjoy it, i make good money, and i've met all my goals that i've wanted, plus more. if i so incline to take that step, and really pursue my no. 1 job choice (professional skateboarder) at least i have an awesome degree to back me up if i fail (and i'm banking on me failing for becoming a professional skater lol)

it's your life, but don't short hand urself. u'd be amazed on what u can accomplish. just remember to have a strong hustle. well, if ur hustle amounts to the pot head who lives at home w/ mommy and daddy, then ur fucked. but, if u can at least hold ur own the slightest bit, and esp. have the support of ur family, u can accomplish something quite rad.

do wutever u want, get money. that's what it comes down to. i'm not saying school is the only way. there's fools on this forum that hustle, and hustle hard. they make good money w/o going to college, and got their shit on lock. but, im banking on ur hustle not being anywhere near some of these dudes getting hood rich. it's not like they've taken the easier way out either. the time and effort for those folks making good money w/o a formal education amount just as much, if not more, than ppl who may go the education-route.

as far as colleges, JC are a good idea if u keep on track.

otherwise, re-read what i wrote above. it's just 1 insight to this topic.

or u can just slang coke.

read this post again, it's on hit.

this is an elaboration of what i was trying to say in my post earlier. if you're going to school to get a job, went to harvard, and learned nothing, employers will spot that shit in a second in an interview. if you went to a state school, learned a shit ton and will clearly add value to a company, you'll get hooked up.

if you want to go to school to just generally better yourself (which is a good thing), more power to you. just get ready to face the harsh reality that lots of people have degrees, so having one alone will not guarantee you too much right away.

plenty of people don't go to college and have extremely successful lives. some more so than those that even went to college. why? because they learned a skill that is desirable and/or marketable. a lot choose the college path b/c it is supposed to be the more "sure thing" path. just don't forget to really master at least one topic in college that people will hire you for. you'll get a jump start to your career that way--if that's a concern of yours. with the amount of $$ college is, I hope it would be.

If your gpa isn't where it needs to be your best bet would be to do the whole community college/junior college thing for 2 years, but while there KEEP YOUR GRADES UP so you can get into a good university after that.

I'm currently getting my undergrad at one of the best programs for my major in the country.

School is what you put into it, if you end up at a 4 year university get your shit done, but enjoy yourself at the same time.

You won't be able to live the lifestyle you live in college once you graduate (in most situations).

i changed my major a couple of times. what people are telling you about trade and community colleges is good. really your first two years are just requirements. just make sure that you have an idea of what university you want to go to that way you can check and see if your credits transfer. otherwise you just wasted your time.

i go to uh, manoa. its pretty awesome, at least it has been for me. just once you get to where ever you plan on going to university talk to your adviser every step of the way. the thing you have on your side is time and you dont want to waste it taking bullshit classes.

do study abroad as well. you can go anywhere in the world pretty much and study. ive had friends go to england, amsterdam, morroco, thailand, india, china, korea, japan, brazil, costa rica, south africa, israel, wherever.

whatever you do make the most of it. and do something you really are interested in. find out what jobs your major can get you. work to get internships and grants for your studies. it helps to make yourself as marketable as possible. which in the end it is all just a game to sell yourself. at least enjoy as much as possible.

Oh boy, I am at a University and I started looking into colleges reluctantly my junior year of HS and found a great school that is ridiculously cheap!! And sometimes being poor as a child really pays off in the end. Financial Aid does wonders. I struggle sometimes and I can honestly say loans seem like a great chance to get money - but live as poor as possible. Friends that have graduated are fucked and tell me they wish they lived like scumbags. but anyway, Do NOT judge a school on its price - I would deny ANY other school now that I am here. And now that I am here looking for graduate schools is almost a breeze...

Yeah someone in my family majored in business and lives in miami/ft. lauderdale and is doing pretty well.

I honestly don't know what I wanna do at the moment. I was thinking pharmacy or nursing but I don't think I'm really interested in those things. For colleges, I was looking at NYU because of the area but that's just not going to happen. I'm at a complete block at the moment.

I completely missed the fact that you mentioned the medical stuff and coincidentally mentioned it earlier.

If you are looking at NYU then that means you are in, near or willing to go to NY. I would look into going to Molloy College for nursing, or Hunter. Hunter is going to be a lot cheaper than Molloy, since Molloy is private.

If you work in a good hospital, especially one with a union, you can pretty much get the whole nursing program paid for. So...that's something to definitely thing about.

If you are still in HS, don't stress it. Take your time and figure it out. My ex G/F graduated with fair grades (from hs) went to a local community college, transfered to a state school, got her grades up and then transfered to Molloy and graduated from the Nurshing program. She works 3 nights a week (12 hour shifts) and is making like 70 and change a year. Granted, it's a lot of hard work (the academics and the job itself) also that kind of money may not be good enough for you.

Basically I've been going to junior college for about 2 years and am barely narrowing down my major. I'm thinking about majoring in graphic design and minoring in journalism, or vice versa. Any advice on good art schools, or schools in general that are good in that area? I figured there would be some cats in here that knew what's up, and may be willing to help a young man out. Also, I'm located in Cali if that helps.

I went to college, but I got paid to go to college, that's wassup.

Also, I hate 95% of college/university students I realized. My old lady is in her final year of uni, and almost all of the school friends of hers that I've met are complete douchebags who aren't living on planet earth. I can't wait until they graduate and have to come back down to the real world.

Go to college, get a useless degree, compile thousands of dollars and years of student debt all so you can get a job bartending or waiting tables and move back in with your parents. Good plan.

• Like 1

grad high school- check

went to military- check

make it out alive after oper. desert storm- check

back to reality and find work in construction - check

work ass off for years for not much dough- check

finally-in 30's- get kick ass gvt job- check

see no college necessary

Go college-check

Get a kick ass govt job-check

Shit that saved a lot of time.

`Melinoe shut your ass up nigga, u go to fuckin matc, ima catch u slippin in the milw and rock u 2 sleep u net thug...fuckin hipster, dont even write, go take pics u TPWF

I'm going to completely disregard this seeing as you do not know me, nor can you take a joke.

Continue.

Go college-check

Get a kick ass govt job-check

Shit that saved a lot of time.

sure spit, time saved

but what did/ does a college peep really learn about real life

how to binge drink

most people i know that have 4/6/8 yr degrees

1-cant find work

2-hate their qualifications

so ill take the road i did

and learn to survive with street smarts and not book smarts

im not putting down college, just not my thing

• 1 month later...
sure spit, time saved

but what did/ does a college peep really learn about real life

how to binge drink

most people i know that have 4/6/8 yr degrees

1-cant find work

2-hate their qualifications

so ill take the road i did

and learn to survive with street smarts and not book smarts

im not putting down college, just not my thing

faggot, you're in the military

I go to emory right now. My parents are paying for my entire college. Before i get called a spoiled brat, they came here as immigrants in ' 96 and worked their asses off with two goals in mind: own property and pay for a private education for their only son. I realize not everyone is so lucky to do this, but I highly recommend going to an academically challenging school.

I enjoy school, there are tons of smart people and leaving my hometown (Nyc) was definitely a good move since I was kinda wylin' out back home. My school is mostly wealthy long island and florida japs and frat boys. I found a nice group of friends though and I finally learned what it is to work hard. I'm probably going to major in financial economics and minor in german.

I'm strongly considering going to Lewis & Clark College in Portland, I stay in the Bay. Can anyone tell me how different it'll be or if it is a good place to go to school?

A few of my high school buddies go there and they seem to like it. A lot of hipsters which means easy sex and fun druggy times. Also, it's one of the better liberal arts schools on the west coast.