Time for a new TV

shellshock

the 21 inch CRT is on its way out,

thinking of something in the 37 to 42 inch range thinking LCD over Plasma

price range around 500 to 650

brands looked into Vizio, Panasonic, Samsung

any recomondation and how big is the difference between 720p and 1080p?

and recomended refresh rate of speed ?

use of Tv is mostly PS2 and watching movies maybe hook up a hdtv antenna to watch some local tv

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i just got a 46" sony lcd 1080p 120htz that came with a ps3, 1 game and a blu ray movie for $950 at best buy. maybe look into their deals, and yeah also check out the open box tv's, i almost got a 42" for $700 open box style. i doubt you'll find a 42 for much less than that. i could be wrong though.

RATED BEST TV: but not in the price range you posted my bad.

Samsung UN55B8500

The good: Deeper black levels than any HDTV available aside from Pioneer Kuro; solid shadow detail; reduced blooming compared with other local dimming LED-based LCDs; accurate, highly saturated color; excellent video processing with adjustable dejudder; numerous picture adjustments; extensive interactive features including Yahoo widgets; beautiful styling with 1.6-inch deep panel; extremely energy efficient.

The bad: Expensive; poor off-angle viewing; some blooming effects; benefits of 240Hz difficult to discern; glossy screen reflects ambient light.

The bottom line: It costs a mint, but Samsung's local dimming, LED-based UNB8500 series delivers the best picture quality of any LCD we've tested.

dont fuck with open box tv's. most of them are former display models, which means they have been running day-in day-out for who knows how long at around 18 hours per day.

get a lower end samsung, if all you're fucking with is ps2 and local tv you dont need 1080p. only blurays do 1080p. 60hz is also fine for what you are doing. 120 isn't necessary and nothing uses 240 yet.

call me directly if you have any more questions (if you dont have my number brian, taylor and white eric has it)

edit - oh wait i forgot about uh.. something, just pm me instead of calling.

Samsung UN55B8500

The good: Deeper black levels than any HDTV available aside from Pioneer Kuro; solid shadow detail; reduced blooming compared with other local dimming LED-based LCDs; accurate, highly saturated color; excellent video processing with adjustable dejudder; numerous picture adjustments; extensive interactive features including Yahoo widgets; beautiful styling with 1.6-inch deep panel; extremely energy efficient.

The bad: Expensive; poor off-angle viewing; some blooming effects; benefits of 240Hz difficult to discern; glossy screen reflects ambient light.

The bottom line: It costs a mint, but Samsung's local dimming, LED-based UNB8500 series delivers the best picture quality of any LCD we've tested.

this fool said 650 is as high as he can go and you're suggesting a 3k tv?

Oh.. forgot to mention.

Dont buy that TV at a store!!!!!!!!

Go to stores to see what you like, then google shop it and you'll find it for at least 25-50% cheaper. I have bought all my TVs/monitors this way.

Only suckers buy from "Best" Buy

My two big dogs are Mitsubishi, just because they have matte bezels that are as thin as your pinky.

Samsung and the rest have these giant ass shiny borders that reflect light and are annoying as fuck. Why 95% TVs come this way, I'll never know.

Mitsubishi & Sony (The two brands I own) have matte bezels.

I have dual 24" Samsung 1080p Computer monitors - nice res, but they have the shiny faggoty borders.