Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bojangles

Micro sculpting and invisible artists.

Two great artists, one great thread:

(Stumbled across both tonight, didn't want to make two threads...)

Micro Sculptor:

1.jpg

Willard Wigan is a micro-sculptor. He currently has an exhibition called Art in the Eye of a Needle on display at the Parish Gallery in Georgetown through January 23. Art that fits inside the head of a needle? Yup.

Wigan's process is almost scientific in accuracy. Utilizing microscopes, bright lights, and pinpointed tools, he is able to fashion sculptures that literally fit inside a needle head. He started making micro-sculptures when he was a child. "I started to believe ants needed a place to live," he said.

2.jpg

Willard Wigan's "Snow White" in the head of a sewing needle. He works only at night, to avoid traffic vibrations.

3.jpg

"9 Camels," sculpted inside the head of a needle."I heard someone say that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven," he says. "I decided to sculpt camels in a needle."

4.jpg

Wigan's "Moon Landing" in the head of a sewing needle. In May 2007, British tycoon David Lloyd bought 70 pieces of Wigan's collection for about $22 million U.S. Prince Charles owns one of his sculptures, as does Elton John and the Marquiess of Bath.

5.jpg

Willard Wigan speaks at Prince George's Community College about how he got started in his work.

6.jpg

China's invisible artist:

The artist dubbed the "invisible man" is bringing his mind-bending pieces back to Europe.

Beijing-based Liu Bolin will exhibit his unique photographs, in which he paints himself so as to "disappear" into his surroundings, at the YU Gallery in Paris in October.

Liu, 36, has been known to spend up to 10 painstaking hours at each location — adding fine detail to his entire body until he is virtually undetectable.

The chameleon experienced resistance from his own government and in 2005 his Beijing studio was forcibly shut down over his political works.

1248310945572_1248310945572_r.jpg

modern_invisible_man_00.jpg

invisible_man_01.jpg

2815443249_3a99b5d46a.jpg

More at: http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/meet-the-real-life-invisible-man.html

Hmm I like both. Wonder what Wigan sculpts with...I dont think it couldnt be anything metallic or magnetic since I would think there would be trouble with static n stuff being inside and/or surrounded with metal. Cool stuff though and in that one exhibit he made 22 million :mouth drops: woooord.

The second dude Liu is rather fascinating when it comes to detail although he art is more a performing art. Besides personal expression I dont know if he could support himself with it since it can only be captured by photograph. Well I guess he could profit of it....not saying he has to profit, i only mention it in comparison to the first.

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now