Ghetto Tours

IOU

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-southla-tours5-2009dec05,0,6167426.story

By Scott Gold

December 5, 2009

* EmailE-mail

* printPrint

* increase text size decrease text size Text Size

A group of civic activists, united by faith and a belief that the poor economy in the interior of Los Angeles is a social injustice, is preparing to offer bus tours of some of the grittiest pockets of the city, including decayed public housing, sites of deadly shootouts and streets ravaged by racial unrest.

After a VIP preview last weekend, L.A. Gang Tours expects to open to the public in January, giving tourists a look at the cradle of the nation's gang culture -- the birthplace of many of the city's gangs, including Crips and Bloods, Florencia 13 and 18th Street.

"This is ground zero for a lot of the bad in this city. It could be ground zero for a lot of the good too," said Alfred Lomas, a former Florencia member who has become a leading gang intervention worker in South Los Angeles and is spearheading the tours. "This is true community empowerment."

The nonprofit group plans to offer two-hour tours at an initial cost of $65 per adult, with profits funneled back into the community through jobs, "franchised" tours in new areas and micro-loans to inner-city entrepreneurs. Early routes will focus largely on South L.A., with forays through Watts and Florence-Firestone.

The concept appears to have no equal in L.A. -- for good reason, some might argue. It seems to echo, more than anything, the "slum tours" of such sites as India's Dharavi township and Rio de Janeiro's favelas. Those operations have been lauded as innovative economic tools and mechanisms for humanizing poverty -- and also attacked as exploitative and voyeuristic.

The L.A. tour comes after months of planning, and is offered in a spirit of education and public service. Lomas, who will lead tours at first, plans to talk about important chapters in the development of the city's core, such as how racist housing restrictions shaped ethnic enclaves and the formation of gangs.

Other aspects may raise eyebrows. Selling shirts painted on the spot by a graffiti "tagger" is one thing. But one backer said he also hopes to stage dance-offs between locals; tourists would pick a winner and fork over a cash prize. It wasn't long ago that organizers decided against a plan to have kids shoot tourists with water pistols, followed by the sale of T-shirts that read: "I Got Shot in South-Central."

"It's going to be fascinating -- but really controversial," said Francisco Ortega, a field staffer with the Los Angeles Human Relations Commission and a respected mediator and neighborhood advisor in South L.A. Ortega said there could be great value in "sensitizing people, connecting them to the reality of what's on the ground."

"But the other side is that it could come across like a zoo or something," Ortega said. "You're being carted about: 'Look at that cholo over there!' It could be perceived as demeaning for the people who are living in these conditions. I don't know how they're going to manage those perceptions."

City Councilwoman Jan Perry said she has offered bus tours of South L.A. herself -- but those were for real estate leaders she was trying to persuade to invest in the neighborhood. She said South L.A. could benefit from an effort to demonstrate "the potential of the community." But she said some aspects of this kind of tourism could go too far.

"It's not right to put people on display," she said.

"It depends on their intent and how they balance it," said Councilman Bernard C. Parks.

Organizers, however, say they've been careful to plan tours that are respectful and neither glorify gangs nor exploit the poor.

"What matters to me is that kids get fed and families get help," Lomas said.

The organization is bolstered by business leaders and gang experts who are contributing start-up capital and advice.

Several are connected to the Dream Center, the L.A. church ministry where Lomas directs a food bank. Lomas credits the organization with helping him to turn his life around.

Kevin Malone, a former Dodgers general manager, sits on the board of the Dream Center's charitable arm and has become one of Lomas' chief supporters. Malone said he has become involved in human-rights causes, such as combating human trafficking. He said the possibility of introducing self-sustaining economic development into the city's poorest neighborhoods is no less of a human rights issue.

"I believe in this," he said.

Other backers include Ron Noblet, a leading gang expert and an early proponent of using gang intervention to augment traditional police tactics. Noblet dismissed any potential for criticism or controversy.

"There will be a lot of people who will be delighted if he fails," Noblet said of Lomas. "But there is clarity in the dream."

Page 1 of 2..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yea this sounds like a bad idea if i ever heard one.

I was in LA. Thought i knew where i was going and was wrong.

Started seeing familiar street signs. Places mentioned in old

rap songs.

Detroit doesn't have the same gang shit going on as LA does

and im not questioning the severity of hood LA but what i can

say is that the bad areas of LA look no where near as fucked

up as the bad areas here.

Detroit is statistically more dangerous but i would be alot

more uncomfortable in a bad area here than one out there.

COUGH*GANGSAREACTUALLYRUNNINGTHOSETOURSANDGETASHITTONOFMONEYFROMWHITEPEOPLEANDPAYOFFTHEGANGSTONOTKILLTHEBUSSESFULLOFHONKEYSTHUSMAKINGASHITTONOFMONEYTHATTHEYNORMALLYWOULDNEVERGETANDCLEANMONEYATTHATLOLOLOLROMFLROFLROBOT*COUGH

but honestly. think about it. it wouldn't be too far off base. whatever though. everything is a conspiracy.

Visual aid:

sod_bigger_than_the_devil_a_1.jpg

meros idea got swiped

he's about to call 'em up like Ed Lover did to ESPN when they released C'mon Man!

"ESPN, man. WHAT THE FUCK man. Can I live son? Can I have my own shit?"

Then Ghostface with the sign:

"C'mon son get the fuck outta here with that corny shit... Fuck is wrong witchu"

Maybe they could do like where you feed the safari animals that poke their heads in your windows, but you could have crack and food stamps instead of bananas.

I'll bet suburban kids would get a kick out of that.

Some might even let you pet them if you move your hand slow enough.

i would be mad pissed about this personally.if li lived in those areas.i mean i kinda understand where there comin from,trying to get people more aware of what people face in some of those areas but i think it would feel more like a safari or some dumbshit.like i was some kinda spectacle or something.look at this broke motherfucker here haha..to think that taking a 2 hour bus ride is gonna make people care enough about the ghetto to actually do somehing about it,i just dont see it.

__2.jpg.0c8b2487ab6f13a07f8d5a9961dd5aa1.jpg

But one backer said he also hopes to stage dance-offs between locals; tourists would pick a winner and fork over a cash prize.

they are taking buses full of tourists into poor neighbourhoods where they will LITERALLY make them dance for money. I can't imagine any possible problems with that.

/nohoax

What the fuck is wrong with people, are they really trying to sell "Nigger Safari" that blatantly? Gimme a fucking break.

All the tour bus needs is a loudspeaker barking out "OBSERVE THE DARKIE IN HIS NATURAL HABITAT...THEY ARE LAZY BY NATURE, BUT WHEN GIVEN MALT LIQUOR IN THE PRESENCE OF RAP MUSIC THEY DISPLAY AN INNATE SENSE OF RHYTHM."

Admittedly, South Central is somewhat better off than it used to be but I give this about a week before something really bad/funny happens. And I'll laugh my ass off when it does.