Discovery of Intelligent Life in the Milky Way: "It's Only a Matter of Time..."

lord_casek

Discovery of Intelligent Life in the Milky Way: "It's Only a Matter of Time..."

Time! In the search for life in the universe, time and the sheer scale of the cosmos are enemies of our all too brief human-life span. A few basic facts provide a startling and eye-opening perspective on both our mortality and the obstacles confronting our search for life beyond the Solar System. A prime target for our early efforts to find a twin Earth is our nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, 4.4 million light years away, which means that light (or an extraterrestrial message) takes 4.4 years to reach us.

It’s been the destination of interstellar travelers in science fiction writing for so long now that one would almost be forgiven for thinking we’d already colonized it. But Alpha Centauri, the three-star system closest to our own Sun, is now the center of some very exciting science.

Javiera Guedes who headed up a NASA-funded project to analyze the possibility of detecting an Earthlike planet in orbit around Alpha Centauri B, has shown that terrestrial planets are likely to have formed around Alpha Centauri B, and that these planets should be orbiting in the “habitable zone.”

"It's so close to us, and the position of the other stars is such that it should be very possible to find a small planet," she explained. She also found that, based on astronomers' current understanding of how solar systems form, the existence of a planet the size of our own is very likely, and that there's also a chance that it would lie in the habitable zone.

Now, the planet-hunting team is using a telescope in Chile to keep an eye on the star for the next three years, in order to collect enough data to determine whether or not the next Earthlike planet lies next door.

"If they exist, we can observe them," said Guedes also showed that such planets would be observable if a telescope was dedicated to their search.

Guedes used a series of planet formation computer simulations to determine that terrestrial planets have probably formed around the star. The team ran repeated computer simulations which ran on a time frame of 200 million years each time. They varied the beginning conditions each time, and thus created a different result each time. However, each time a system of multiple planets evolved with at least one planet – approximately the size of Earth – forming. In many of these simulations, this planet was often found to be orbiting within the habitable zone of the star.

Its brightness and its position in the sky are both positive factors that make the Alpha Centauri search plausible; the latter giving the team a long period of observability each year from the Southern Hemisphere.

But the profound implication of the iron-clad law of astronomical time is that we see Alpha Centauri only as it was 4.4 years ago.In other words any message from inhabitants of Alpa Cenauri saying "Our planet is dying!" and our reply would consume a total of almost nine years.

The effect becomes even more starkly dramatic at greater distances. If we look at the awesome beauty of the Orion Nebula, we see it as the inhabitants of the Roman Empire saw it 1500 light years ago. A radio message we sent to a planet in the region would take some 3000 years for us to get their reply.

An even more extreme example would a message sent to us from the extreme outer edge of the Milky Way, which is 100,000 light years in diameter. Earth is located about 28,000 light years from the galactic center. A message reaching us now would have been sent 70,000 years ago.

To put astronomical time in an even more awesome perspective, scientists have located a giant 13-billion year old galaxy at the edge of the observable universe. The galaxy, which is 12.8 billion light-years from Earth, is as large as the Milky Way galaxy and harbors a supermassive black hole that contains at least a billion times as much matter as does our Sun. A message received from a planet that existed in this ancient would have to have been sent some eight billion years before the Earth was formed when the universe was only one-sixteenth of its present age. And, would that planet, indeed, that galaxy, still exist?

Casey Kazan

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The idea that we are the ONLY intelligent life in the Universe is pretty..well ignorant.

I can't imagine in the infinite space that is the Universe that we are the only planet that was able to sustain life.

I would imagine that they're are other civilizations which could be billions of years older than ours. Same could be said for ecosystems that are just starting out.

We should be more focused on issues like these than the current ones that are occupying us at this time. We are a great species. We have the potential to expand even further. The only thing that is in our way is ourselves.

I agree I have never believed that we are the only life in the Universe, I believe to think we are is completely ignorant. I think there is life in various stages of evolution throughout the universe from low level amoebas to fully fledged intelligent lifeforms that make us look like worms.

I don't however, believe they come to our planet and fiddle with cows and kidnap and probe rednecks!!

I fond space and the universe to be one of the most interesting topics to read about, it just blows your mind how immense and amazing the universe is. That is before you get into all the theoretical physics and cosmology as well.

what if tomorrow (or a tomorrow in the percievable future) the news just dropped? Weve made contact with intelligent life as advanced and sophisticated as ourselves, and that scientists on both sides are now working around the clock to develop a forum for dialogue but have to be very careful as we know so little about the other side that the slightest error could devastate.

I, knowing next to nothing about science, am sure there is life on some level in several places outside of earth, perhaps infinite places. And though that is a very exciting notion, the idea of intelligent and advanced beings is far more dangerous and therefor sexy. If it exists, and their technology is within a hundred years of our own, we may make contact with them within our lives.

And jodie foster will be earths ambassador.

they been dealing with aliens. negative ones that wanna control people like the real "government" or "the man". The aliens gave them technology to manipulate us in exchange for permission to abduct a certain number of people. For what ever purpose. They will start telling the people. They already started, google vatican alien life. Obama will tell you soon too.

dont you see. You think people that think like i do is blasphemy. Why do you think that is. Casue they told you what this thinking is crazy. But they didnt tell you, they told your grand grand parents. They made society believe one thing, but the truth is something else. As they say, you cant handle the truth. Listen hard to nas and mf doom. They know whats up, they try telling you. So did black sabbath in the 70's and they called rock devils music, cause they made socity scared of god getting angry at them too.

Well I am not religious so god can't get angry at me, I have more fear of stubbing my toe on a table than of god, as for the lyrics of nas/mf doom I have listened to that stuff since I was a kid and I'm sorry but lyrics are lyrics they aren't telling you some unknown truth to the secret of the universe. Same goes for Black Sabbath, you know why their lyrics are like that, Ozzy was fucked up on drugs and out of his face, music of the 60s and 70s was out there because they thought they were breaking boundries and people had interests in mysticsm because they were trying to look at different ways to the societal norms that they were breaking.

I can handle the truth, some people just can't handle reality which is why they believe such stories like the one you posted above.

I'm not being derogatory I am responding reasonably and thoughtfully.

krs one too yo he knows.

nas doesnt just tell you, he disguises it in his lyrics.

I try to stay mellow, rock, well acapella rhymes’ll

Make me richer than a slipper made cinderella fella

Go get your crew, hobbes, I’m prepared to bomb troops

there he talks about, Rockefeller making him richer than you can imagine. he cant just say that.

Then he tells you how shit is gonna go down, and he is ready to bomb troops. He is talking about the government disclosing, and people rebelling and or not wanting to go with the system cause they been lying. And heaven and hell, black sabath, they talik about how the governments tells you black, but thigns are really white. That is an actualy lyric.

krsone.jpg

potato_2.gif&usg=AFQjCNE8Zyjb8lwUikDKIp4uTQSR_zqHtA

KRS One has a Mr. Potato Head nose.

And if aliens with any kind of violent tendencies were to contact us now, we'd be fucked. They would take one look at what's going on politically, socially and morally with the human race and see the same thing the Visigoths, the Huns and the Vandals saw when they were sitting outside of Rome around the fifth century AD.

I tend to agree with Steven Hawkings when he said "we should keep our head low in the universe..."

I think sending out random probes into space with instructions on how to get to our galaxy/system/planet is a horrible idea. If other lifeforms are able to get to earth, they are clearly way more intellegent than we are, and what has always happened when a superior race meets an inferior one?

Enslavement. Or erradication, both of which are not things we would enjoy..

What makes us think that a superior form of life would want to be our friends?

14969_kaku_michio.jpg

Did anyone watch this dudes approach to building a craft capable of emitting anti-gravity? The idea is to stretch and morph space-time to seemingly glide relatively short distances to get to other planetary bodies or even galaxies..

He even has model plans for creating an entrance to a parallel universe..

Basically, I'm just very excited to see the progress that will be made within our lifetime

people. I can link you with videos of dudes telling you how they developed free energy systems. Free energy is the concept of energy that recycles itself forever or doesnt stop generating ever. If you spin something hard enough it wont weigh anything because of centrifugal force. Make something advanced enough that could spin fast enough with a smart way to defuse the energy to a point that could propel and you got yourself a free energy transportation unit. People have made these, tried talking about it, and got silenced. But they disclose in detail, im talking about 2 hrs of theses people confessing, and its a shot of his face. So if he is lying then you could tell. Cause shit wouldnt add up.

http://www.projectcamelot.net

go to disclosure videos, and take your pic. WARNING WARNING --> get ready to learn a new reality, conventional truth will be a lie after hearing this knowledge. Be ready to deal with that.

I tend to agree with Steven Hawkings when he said "we should keep our head low in the universe..."

I think sending out random probes into space with instructions on how to get to our galaxy/system/planet is a horrible idea. If other lifeforms are able to get to earth, they are clearly way more intellegent than we are, and what has always happened when a superior race meets an inferior one?

Enslavement. Or erradication, both of which are not things we would enjoy..

What makes us think that a superior form of life would want to be our friends?

They might want to meet us and be friends from all the happy go lucky shit we'll have plastered on the probes that are sent out... They won't after they get here and find out that the internet exists.

To seek human-like intelligence from space is a quest to find a species of disorientated creatures with stubborn tendency to valuate their neutral surroundings and disregard out-of-gamut phenomena in favor of the narrow spectrum of reality they can perceive, and therefore consider relevant .

–viperface

• 9 months later...

the-day-before-diclosure-movie.jpg&sa=X&ei=LhmlTICBGJH2tgOduuH9Dg&ved=0CAQQ8wc4Bg&usg=AFQjCNEmFsMwohJlC9nUaB7lC5mNDzH6uQ

(2010)

[url="http://veehd.com/video/4528183_The-Day-Before-Disclosure-2010"]http://veehd.com/video/4528183_The-Day-Bef...Disclosure-2010[/url]

[url="http://stagevu.com/video/lhyayxxhthsy"]http://stagevu.com/video/lhyayxxhthsy[/url]

[url="http://www.novamov.com/video/76m4k46dfiqwq"]http://www.novamov.com/video/76m4k46dfiqwq[/url]

easiest viewed on vimeo: http://www.vimeo.com/13150886