the future.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electronics will get faster and smaller and software will continue to bloat...so you will never have enough memory or enough storage on whatever device you're using.

Cloud computing is okay, cloud storage is not. Sure, keep a backup there for easy access but don't assume anything.

And of course...

machine-smellovision.jpg

SMELLOVISION!

When my friend Raymond was dying of cancer I was talking to him about death. I asked

if he was afraid, he told me he was because he had been such an asshole in life.

He beat a couple of his wives, one of his daughters, etc.

When he started to die he changed. He couldn't be such an asshole and started to think

about a lot of things he had done and regret doing the bad things.

I told him this: "Death is like changing pants. It's easy. Life is the hard part." Dying isn't

such a big deal. It's part of life. Don't sweat it even when it's your time. Go with it.

As for the future:

I see quantum computers changing the way we live in big ways. I see cloud computing as the next big thing. We will have terminals and all of our stuff will be stored on "the net".

I see things like the "iPad" being used in everyday life. (iPad is a large screen iPod Touch). Will be out in the next couple of years.

I see cell phones taking on larger rolls. Faster processors (faster than the most powerful desktops we have today), very small 1 Terabyte and up storage devices on them, video processing done by the chip, etc.

I see paper thin large screen televisions on our walls. Our home automation networks will control media throughout the house. Probably not voice controlled for a bit, but technology for that is advancing (they have problems with "understanding" accents and multiple voices at the moment).

etc.

NPR said they were more than likely coming out first quarter 2010. This was on All Things Considered. It was playing at work today.

So after returning from the H+ transhumanist conference I am certain of two things: 1) that I do not share the cynical, inevitable-apocalypse point of view described earlier in the thread, and 2) the future is gonna be completely bananas awesome.

Start preparing yourselves mentally, within the next 50 years there will be a radical shift in what it means to be human, in ways that are currently difficult to accept and fully comprehend.

• Like 1

So after returning from the H+ transhumanist conference I am certain of two things: 1) that I do not share the cynical, inevitable-apocalypse point of view described earlier in the thread, and 2) the future is gonna be completely bananas awesome.

Start preparing yourselves mentally, within the next 50 years there will be a radical shift in what it means to be human, in ways that are currently difficult to accept and fully comprehend.

This is very true. I've been listening to a lot of scientists talk about brain implants allowing

the "web" to be inside our heads, cyborg applications allowing us to be "better humans", etc.

Some serious technology in the works.

Care to share any exciting news? Can you?

NPR said they were more than likely coming out first quarter 2010. This was on All Things Considered. It was playing at work today.

Yeah, I hear that they might be out soon. Don't be too ready for them in the first quarter,

but they will be here.

I wonder if the public will go for them? Multi touch is a good selling point but I want to see

some new technology being brought about.

This is very true. I've been listening to a lot of scientists talk about brain implants allowing

the "web" to be inside our heads, cyborg applications allowing us to be "better humans", etc.

Research into applications to become better humans is one of the key pillars of transhumanism, the other main one being the search for longevity. Both were discussed extensively throughout the weekend.

Longevity is interesting cause it's not discussed as often, yet we are progressing really well at figuring out the biochemical mechanisms of aging. A radical breakthrough in life expectancy is imminent sooner than most people think... it is quite possible that some of us reading this will have a choice within our lifetimes to live to around 150-170 years old. That alone presents a clear shift in the way we will experience the rest of our lives. Something to think about.

In terms of human-enhancing applications, what I found most interesting at this conference is that although plenty of high-level solutions and applications were discussed, there was still extensive discussion of the low-level hard science behind them. It was often less about what is going to be possible, and more about HOW it's going to be possible. For example, my good friend and Burning Man campmate Anselm Levskaya gave an awesome talk about how to create an I/O interface to the brain (and cells in general), explaining the process involved in translating digital signals into analog biochemical reactions. There was lots of juicy science that kept the theoretical approaches discussed grounded in reality.

One thing to note is that although steady progress is happening in the fields of prosthetic and machine enhancements (cyborg shit), it is in the realms of genetics and biochemistry that we'll first start seeing the first really substantial game-changers. A lot of people don't understand how crazily fast genetic research and discovery is advancing... the field is currently accelerating at fucking rocketship levels. I met these dudes from a startup called Halcyon Molecular who are on track to refine a new method of sequencing DNA, resulting in 100% complete human genomes in less than 10 minutes and for less than $100. Current methods, which take weeks, sequence only about 90% of the genome, and cost from tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on completeness. That's fucking bananas.

The talks should be available to watch sometime next week. I'll post links to some of the more interesting ones when they come online.

Guest Ginger Bread Man

mams thanks for that and i shall be awaiting on your links.

i think one of the last scientific frontiers may be scent. all this technology goes into the visual<lcd,plasma blu ray> as well as the audible<car audio,home theatre systems, ipod>and the other senses as well however i am unaware of any projects which focus on the study of smell and the way it will allow us to fully experience a movie, video game, fuck even a memory.

can you imagine being engulfed in sudden sensations of smells which will trigger your memory banks and will allow you basically to re live the experience in every way based on scent.

science has developed in such an astounding and exponential rate that i no longer know what to expect of the future; my future that is

the point of this thread was/is to expound thoughts as to what you believe the future has in store and it has been successful save for the few assholes who continually contribute NOTHING to this forum.

i remember reading something years ago about a school of thought with feels death is nothing more than a disease which we have not found the cure for. i was fascinated by this approach and must add that the average longevity of man shall extend over time as in the last 100 years we have seen an increase in lifespan.

BBC

"Data from more than 30 developed countries shows that since 1950 the probability of surviving past 80 years of age has doubled for both sexes."

the problem with much of science is that it is caught in catch 2 of sorts.

certain major boundaries need to be breached first in order to allow ideas to build on each other.

this is to say. before cars were around much had to happen. why weren't modern cars around till the turn of the century?

we lacked the technology.

im sure the romans had drawings of concept cars.

even da vinci drew out plans for a helicopter, this more than 500 years before the technology was readily available to make it happen. you get the point.

mams thanks for that and i shall be awaiting on your links.

i think one of the last scientific frontiers may be scent. all this technology goes into the visual<lcd,plasma blu ray> as well as the audible<car audio,home theatre systems, ipod>and the other senses as well however i am unaware of any projects which focus on the study of smell and the way it will allow us to fully experience a movie, video game, fuck even a memory.

can you imagine being engulfed in sudden sensations of smells which will trigger your memory banks and will allow you basically to re live the experience in every way based on scent.

science has developed in such an astounding and exponential rate that i no longer know what to expect of the future; my future that is

the point of this thread was/is to expound thoughts as to what you believe the future has in store and it has been successful save for the few assholes who continually contribute NOTHING to this forum.

i remember reading something years ago about a school of thought with feels death is nothing more than a disease which we have not found the cure for. i was fascinated by this approach and must add that the average longevity of man shall extend over time as in the last 100 years we have seen an increase in lifespan.

BBC

"Data from more than 30 developed countries shows that since 1950 the probability of surviving past 80 years of age has doubled for both sexes."

the problem with much of science is that it is caught in catch 2 of sorts.

certain major boundaries need to be breached first in order to allow ideas to build on each other.

this is to say. before cars were around much had to happen. why weren't modern cars around till the turn of the century?

we lacked the technology.

im sure the romans had drawings of concept cars.

even da vinci drew out plans for a helicopter, this more than 500 years before the technology was readily available to make it happen. you get the point.

I got lost about a quarter of the way through, but the smell-o-vision was posted on the last page.

• 3 weeks later...

Kurzweil is a bit of a kook, and eats a million pills a day in order to not get old, but I love the guy NH. Here's how he sees things 10 years from now.

Top futurist, Ray Kurzweil, predicts how technology will change humanity by 2020

By Ray Kurzweil

As we approach the end of the first decade of the new millennium, let’s consider what life will be like a decade hence. Changes in our lives from technology are moving faster and faster. The telephone took 50 years to reach a quarter of the U.S. population. Search engines, social networks and blogs have done that in just a few years time. Consider that Facebook started as a way for Harvard students to meet each other just six years ago; it now has 350 million users and counting.

Between now and 2020, the trend will continue, spreading cutting-edge technologies to every corner of the country and beginning to make innovations once consigned to the realm of science fiction real for millions of Americans. Specifically what can we expect? Solar power on steroids, longer lives, the chance to get rid of obesity once and for all, and portable computing devices that start becoming part of your body rather than being held in your hand.

What will drive all this accelerating change is precisely what has driven it this past half-century: the exponential growth in the power of information technology, which approximately doubles for the same cost every year. When I was an MIT undergraduate in 1965, we all shared a computer that took up half a building and cost tens of millions of dollars. The computer in my pocket today is a million times cheaper and a thousand times more powerful. That’s a billion-fold increase in the amount of computation per dollar since I was a student.

That incredible force — information technology that moves faster, then faster, then faster still — will power changes in every imaginable realm over the next decade.

Start with the basics. You’ve no doubt noticed that electronic gadgets are getting smaller and smaller; the iPod Shuffle holds 1,000 songs and weighs 0.38 ounces. Your phone is smaller than it was a few years ago and can do much more. By 2020, memory devices will be integrated into our clothing. And the very idea of a “smart phone” will begin to change. Rather than looking at a tiny screen, our glasses will beam images directly to our retinas, creating a high resolution virtual display that hovers in air.

That virtual display will be able to take over our entire visual field of view, putting us in a three-dimensional full immersion virtual reality environment. We’ll watch movies virtually and read virtual books. A lot of our personal and business meetings will take place in these 3D virtual worlds. The design of new virtual environments will be an art form. We’ll even have ways to touch one another virtually.

There are already beginning to be apps available for your iPhone or Android phone that allow you to look at a building and have the display superimpose what stores are inside it; Google Goggles, released last week, is the first free, widely-available version of such software. By 2020 we’ll routinely have pop ups in our visual field of view that give us background about the people and places that we’re looking at.

In other words, your memory will be constantly, instantaneously aided by the information available on the Internet. The two will begin to become indistinguishable.

How about energy? That doesn’t sound like an information technology. Fossil fuels, after all, are an early first industrial revolution, 19th century technology. But we are now applying nanotechnology — the science of essentially reprogramming matter at the level of molecules to create new materials and devices—to the design of renewable energy technologies such as solar energy. As a result, the cost per watt of solar energy is coming down rapidly and the total amount of solar energy is growing exponentially. It has in fact been doubling every two years for the past 20 years and is now only eight doublings away from meeting all of the world’s energy needs.

When I shared this fact with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a few weeks ago, he asked, “but is there enough sunlight to double solar energy eight more times?” I responded that we have 10,000 times more sunlight than we need to do this. The prime minister announced an Israeli energy initiative the next day at the Israeli Presidential Conference based on our conversation, setting a 10-year goal to create the technologies to completely replace fossil fuels.

It’s not just the gadgets we carry around and the power we use to fuel our lives that are subject to what I call “the law of accelerating returns.” Health and medicine, which used to be a hit or miss process, has now become an information technology.

We now have the software of life (our genes) and the means of upgrading that software. How long do you go without updating the software on your cell phone? Not long: it does it itself every few days or weeks. Yet we are walking around with obsolete software in our bodies that evolved thousands of years ago. Within 10 years, that will change.

Already today, there are over a thousand projects to change our genes away from disease and toward health, not just in newborns but in mature individuals. The Human Genome Project, which has catalogued our genetic material, was itself a very good example of the law of accelerating returns; the amount of genetic data that is sequenced has doubled every year and the cost has come down by half every year. We can now design health interventions on computers and test them out on biological simulators. These technologies are doubling in power every year and will be a thousand times more powerful in a decade.

By 2020, we will have the means to program our biology away from disease and aging, and toward significant advances in our ability to treat major diseases such as heart disease and cancer — an approach that will be fully mature by 2030.

We won’t just be able to lengthen our lives; we’ll be able to improve our lifestyles. By 2020, we will be testing drugs that will turn off the fat insulin receptor gene that tells our fat cells to hold on to every calorie. Holding on to every calorie was a good idea thousands of years ago when our genes evolved in the first place. Today it underlies an epidemic of obesity. By 2030, we will have made major strides in our ability to remain alive and healthy – and young – for very long periods of time. At that time, we’ll be adding more than a year every year to our remaining life expectancy, so the sands of time will start running in instead of running out.

No, it’s not going to be an entirely brave new world. Some things will look pretty similar in 2020. We’ll still drive cars — although they will have the intelligence to avoid many accidents and self-driving cars will at least be experimented with. All-electric cars will be popular. And in cities, don’t expect subways or buses to go away.

But in more and more ways big and small, hang in there and we’ll all get to see the remarkable century ahead.

Kurzweil is former recipient of the MIT-Lemelson prize, the world’s largest for innovation, and in 1999 was awarded the National Medal of Technology. He is the author of the books “The Singularity is Near” and “The Age of Spiritual Machines.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2009/12/13/2009-12-13_top_futurist_ray_kurzweil_predicts_how_technology_will_change_humanity_by_2020.html

I'll definitely be dead in 30 years or so, so hopefully global nuclear war happens either soon enough that I can survive and enjoy it for a while or after I'm dead.

i heard the world will totally look like this in 2001

futurecity5web1.jpg

SHOCKING PHOTOGRAPH OF FAGBERG EMERGES ON INTERNET!

Oh how we all wish that 2015 would bring the joys and wonders in Back to the Future 2...

christopher-lloyd-not-to-rebuild-his-11-million-home.jpg

Too bad Christopher Lloyd slacked the fuck off and stayed in the old west, disrupting the space time continuum, and leaving McFly to let the DeLorian get smashed by a train. What a selfish dickhead.

On a side note- It'd be cool to achieve faster than light travel, but it's not happening in our lifetime, or many lifetimes after ours. I hope the world holds out that long. Maybe Alien visitors will make their presence known here which would negate discovering and developing the technology anyways.

I feel a cool route for the future would be understanding more about the human brain and it's immense complexities. What if this lead into some sort of cyborg-esque technology that allowed us to plug in a firewire cable into our bodies, and have knowledge saved permanently on the brontobyte hard drive (looked that shit up) that is our brains.

honestly, the future is fucked. we only have a certain amount of natural resources. human population is not going to go down. global warming is going to fuck everyone up. war is going to lead countries into more depression. .....

fuck the world

smoke weed all day.....