Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest 50million

NY makes roll down gates illegal

Guest 50million

not sure if this has already been posted or not...

articleLarge.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/03/nyregion/03gates.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

New York City’s storefront gates, like its fire escapes and stoops, are there but not quite there: the unnoticed wallpaper of New York at night. They have been battered by vandals and defaced by graffiti taggers. They have secured diamonds, handmade tortellini and other valuable commodities. They have provided the clattering soundtrack of dawn and dusk, the steel canvas of struggling artists, the most compelling evidence that the city does, indeed, sleep.

Skip to next paragraph

Related

And now, on orders of the City Council, roll-down gates have joined the ranks of fatty foods and cigarette smoke: they have been legislated against, some right into extinction.

The Council voted on Monday to ban the kind of security gates that completely shield commercial storefront windows and doors from view — ones that resemble old-fashioned auto garage doors, with narrow horizontal slats that rise up like a steely sort of curtain — while permitting the kinds of gates common in suburban shopping malls that allow passers-by to see inside.

Along Court Street in the Carroll Gardens section of Brooklyn, a gentrifying commercial and residential strip in what remains an Italian stronghold, the gradual ban on solid gates — there are probably tens of thousands of them — was as well-received as a property tax hike. Not a single owner or manager who was interviewed was aware of the Council’s vote.

The head-scratching dismay expressed by Pyung Lim Lee upon learning that City Hall had taken a regulatory interest in the rickety old solid gate outside C.H. Plaza Dry Cleaners, 400 Court Street, Brooklyn, N.Y., 11231, was typical.

“If the government pays, then O.K.,” said Mr. Lee, the owner of the shop, who was not surprised to learn that the government would not, after all, be covering the cost of a new gate. “They make law, law, law, and people’s life is more difficult.”

TIME TO OPEN A C-THRU GATE BUSINESS

(If this was Chicago, that business would conveniently be owned by some guy named Larry Daley)

yeah saw this on the news the other day. those gates get cleaned daily now adays anyway, wont be missing much.

and as an old man i thought it would create jobs in the city replacing all the gates

:privateeye:

TIME TO OPEN A C-THRU GATE BUSINESS

(If this was Chicago, that business would conveniently be owned by some guy named Larry Daley)

CHACHING CHACHING more profitable than crack

i thought that too, but most of the store owners rent, and its up to the building landlords to change them, most people who own real-estate in nyc do not own just one building, they own millions of dollars worth of property so this one is on the rich.

Im sure a few mom and poppers might get hit, but that’s the way it goes over here, “don’t fight city hall”

That's crazy, I always associated NYC with those type of gates. And always with the throwups over them.

We have them here but most shops here use those bar gates that roll from the sides.

they will still be around for quite some time

All businesses affected have until July 1, 2026, to install security gates that allow at least 70 percent of the area they cover to be visible. Any gates installed after July 1, 2011, must comply with the new requirements.

Croc tears: not my hood.

Are c-thru gates the ones that look like see-through bricks? If it is m sure roll down Gage companies do these as well.

i grew up with them as well

but the fact that graffiti doesnt run anymore makes no difference to me. all i have are memories of who hit that gate and xyz use to have a tag/fillin there, if they gotta go it create jobs too

Those things work good at stopping molotov cocktails, we used to call them riot gates.

I guess NYC is they're confident there will never be a riot here again.

they will still be around for quite some time

shit, fools can just ignore that shit and retire in 10 years plus and still be straight...

Haha man NYC is a whole different city from when I lived in the Tri-state

this would have been laughable in the 80s

I say we go and cut out some popular bombs and tags left on them then frame em and make some money off these stupid hipsters...do a gallery full of this shit ahha

2d7wzk4.jpg

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now