MP3 Players

iloveboxcars

I'm in the market for a new MP3 Player.

32GB+

FLAC support required

Non-Ipod (Itunes is dumb as all hell and i'm not risking losing all of my music because I hooked up my Ipod to my computer wrong and it deleted all my files)

I used to have the first gen Creative Zen which I was very happy with until my girlfriend at the time borrowed it and fucked it up so I'm thinking of going with something by Creative again.

Only problem is there's way too many options on MP3 players now. I don't need a shitty built in speaker. I don't want to watch videos. I dont want FM radio. There is one with XM radio that I read earlier that I was interested in (assuming XM and Sirius have merged completely and I can get Howard on that). Maybe if it had FM and AM I would be a little more interested seeing as how I listen to AM much more often than FM.

This is the one I am currently looking at:

18995.png

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=18965

Any of you use anything other than Apple that you are particularly happy with?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-191-managing-ipod-without-itunes

theres a little list there. I've used floola, and although visually I didn't like it as much as itunes, it worked when itunes was fucking me around. It also backs up your files, and helped me recover my ipod music and harddrive when it crashed on me. You can also update your ipod with it on any computer unlike itunes.

• Like 1

Creative makes quality products, I'd say go with whatever their latest and greatest is. I stopped following their product releases

pretty much where i'm leaning. although a friend of mine had an iriver years ago and i recall that being pretty decent, im sending him an email to see how long that shit lasted.

I was thinking about an Mp3 myself, but the last Mp3 i had was some RCA bullshit. My ipod headphone jack stopped working after 2 years. And you can't open this one without some special tools, but i'm not about to send it to get it fixed for 100 bucks. I can probably just get a decent Mp3 for that money...right?

a friend of mine just informed me about this rockbox shit. basically its firmware for portable media devices (you can turn your mp3 players into nes emulators and shit) but it also makes it so it can read flac and a whole slew of other file types.

apparently the door has just been opened wider.

a friend of mine just informed me about this rockbox shit. basically its firmware for portable media devices (you can turn your mp3 players into nes emulators and shit) but it also makes it so it can read flac and a whole slew of other file types.

apparently the door has just been opened wider.

Did you ever get the hang of Linux? That's what Rockbox is based on, so be advised that you might want to get a used player and see what you can do with that.

Here's a player with .flac support-

http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/04/21/new-philips-mp3-player-has-flac-support/

Personally, I think .flac files aren't really the way to go for a portable player. The DSPs in portables are rarely soundcard quality, and to get really good sound you'll have to use some nice headphones and that will drain the battery faster. Also, .flac files are bigger than mp3s, so you're not going to get as many songs on your player as you would otherwise.