Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Zoes

agreed its all fighthype, but its kinda a deal... all this hype is making for some great-possible historic boxing events... MGM Grand will have a fight the night of 3/13/10-floyd may just be a spectator. big promoter Bob Arum has already offered Malignaggi a fight that night, manny wants to fight. its understood that the pacman/prettyboy fight may be the richest yet but big money would still be had with a pac/paulie fight. this would only drive the demand of a pacman/prettyboy fight higher makin it even bigger cheese. its totally exciting to those of us into boxing...Blood will be spilled that night night no matter what and it will be good!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not hard to see Pacman putting on weight and moving up classes without any PED's. It's not unheard of for an athlete, whose body is in a catabolic state due to training, to move up significantly in weight post fight/show/meet/or anyother event. a perfect example would be all-natural bodybuilders(look for the classes that utilize Olympic Testing, then comment). a bodybuilder who is doing 12-16 weeks of cardio everyday and near a show is doing double cardio sessions on top of diet manipulation of protein, fats, and carbohydrates just to lose as much fat as possible while retaining large plump hard muscle bellies (\nh) for a show.

I would be suprised to hear more knowledge from people on this board and what they really think they know about PED's usage among athletes cuz i bet the majority is way off.

PBF is running his mouth like usual, Pacman isn't gonna willingly jump through all these hoops for this guy.

Fight will go on. discuss.

just do it already

NAC orders drug tests to end impasse on megafight

By TIM DAHLBERG

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

The head of the Nevada boxing commission ordered Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. to submit to urine tests Monday in hopes of breaking the impasse that has derailed their proposed March 13 megafight.

Pacquiao and Mayweather must submit to the tests within 48 hours or face possible fines or suspension by the Nevada Athletic commission.

"That at least starts the ball rolling," said Keith Kizer, the commission's executive director.

Indeed, the two sides signaled late in the day there could be room for a compromise after Mayweather's representatives said there was footage on HBO's "24/7" program that showed Pacquiao having blood taken 14 days before his knockout of Ricky Hatton.

Mayweather's promoter, Richard Schaefer, said he was told that Top Rank representatives would talk today to Pacquiao in the Philippines to see what cutoff date he would agree to on blood testing. Schaefer said there was a possibility of a compromise between Mayweather's demand for testing up until the weigh-in and the 14 days Pacquiao had blood taken prior to the Hatton fight.

"We were at two days and I assume Pacquiao is at 14 days," Schaefer said. "Let's see if somehow there can be a compromise found that maintains the integrity of the tests. If that can be done in a manner acceptable to Pacquiao, I will take it to Mayweather's team."

The urine tests, ordered by commission chairman Pat Lundvall, fall under an out-of-competition testing regulation, which went into effect in 2008 and allows state boxing authorities to order boxers to comply. Kizer said about 30 of the tests have been ordered in the last 18 months.

The commission's demand comes a day after Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum said he would not budge off a proposal to do just three blood tests on the two fighters -- and none within 30 days of the fight. Arum, who had suggested the NAC decide who will prevail in the dispute, said he planned to begin negotiating a fight with Paul Malignaggi if Mayweather's camp didn't agree to the terms.

But Mayweather's manager, Leonard Ellerbe, said Monday there would be no fight on Arum's terms, and charged the promoter with trying to shift the blame for the fight not happening from Pacquiao's side to Mayweather.

"If he's unwilling to do random blood and urine, it's a nonstarter," Ellerbe told The Associated Press. "He knows that. If they want to walk away from the richest fight in the history of the sport, that's their decision."

Kizer said the urine tests could play a part in breaking the impasse, though Mayweather's camp has said blood tests are necessary to find performance-enhancing drugs that may not be detected by urine tests. Mayweather backed off earlier on a demand for the tests to be conducted by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, but has insisted all along that they be done randomly and include blood tests within 30 days before the fight.

Ellerbe said his fighter already had made many concessions to get the fight, including the financial split, the penalty for coming in at more than 147 pounds, and the gloves to be used. He said there would be no further concession to meet Arum's terms.

"There's no way," Ellerbe said.

this video is kinda gay. to sum it up he calls his sparring partner a "bitch, and softie"

a couple of times. Just an example of how unlikeable this guy is. If he could act normal for a few minutes he'd be getting Tiger money. Dumbfuck

This thread is barely hanging on. I just realized i'm talking to myself. Carry on

If he could act normal for a few minutes he'd be getting Tiger money.

yeah its kind of hard to find those super charismatic athletes in boxing just because so much of the hype for a fight involves the shit talking. mayweather especially lets his mouth run. granted they usually back it up, but you know i think tyson just set a whole new level of crazy shit talk.

"im gonna eat your babies"

wtf did he just say?

yeah he went there, but i love that type of shit in boxing. makes me laugh. just kind of hard to make a good pr marketing stance for a mass audience outside of the fans of pugilism.

which on that note the pugilism thread and the mayweather vs. pacquiao thread should merge. it is kind of dead and there are some interesting things coming up for 2010.

Pac has nothing to lose in this fight. If he gets beet... big deal, he started as a flyweight

Mayweather on the other hand.... if he loses he gets beet by a much smaller fighter, and calls his entire

legacy into question. I can hear Larry Merchant now...

side note: If I was going to hit any random person with a sledge hammer it would be Larry Merchant

I'm saying. Two dudes punching each other in the head and what concerns them most is the so-called "verbal abuse".

Kind of like Pacquiao saying he's afraid of needles and doesn't like the idea of blood being drawn, but he's perfectly fine with going 12 rounds taking punches to the head & torso.

this and that.

The much-anticipated showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, tentatively scheduled for March 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, has collapsed, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

"The fight's off," Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said from Las Vegas.

The fight died after a last-ditch attempt at mediation between Top Rank and Golden Boy, which represents Mayweather, failed in an effort to determine the drug-testing protocol.

Pacquiao had agreed to move off his hard-line stance of refusing a blood test inside 30 days before the fight, but Mayweather wouldn't budge off his desire for random testing all the way until the fight, Arum said. Nor would Mayweather agree to a public apology for remarks he made accusing Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs, Arum said.

"I am very disappointed that we could not make this fight for the fans and I am angered because of the false accusations from Golden Boy and the Mayweather camp that I used some type of drugs, and that is why I have instructed our American lawyers to proceed with the lawsuit to clear my name," Pacquiao said in a statement.

Arum said Pacquiao would move on and likely fight junior middleweight titlist Yuri Foreman on March 13 or March 20.

The fight was to have been on HBO PPV, a sure blockbuster many believed would break the all-time pay-per-view record of 2.44 million buys set by Mayweather's 2007 fight with Oscar De La Hoya, who owns Golden Boy Promotions. But Arum said he had informed HBO PPV boss Mark Taffet that the fight was off.

Had the fight done the monster numbers organizers expected, it would have likely generated in the neighborhood of $200 million with the fighters receiving roughly $40 million apiece.

Richard Schaefer, the CEO of Golden Boy and the point person for the company on the negotiations, did not return multiple messages.

The sides had negotiated every point of the deal except for the drug testing procedures. The fighters agreed to unlimited random urine testing, but Mayweather insisted on random blood testing as well, even though the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would regulate the fight, requires only urine testing.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) didn't want any blood testing but had agreed to take three blood tests: one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week; one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight; and a final test in his dressing room after the fight. Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) would have been subject to the same testing procedures.

When they could not come to an agreement on the drug testing, they enlisted the aid of a mediator, retired judge Daniel Weinstein, who successfully mediated a series of disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy, which represents Mayweather, in June of 2007. At the center of the problem was ownership of the promotional rights to Pacquiao, who had signed contracts with both companies before eventually pledging his loyalty to Top Rank. Under the settlement, Top Rank got Pacquiao's contract with Golden Boy retaining a small percentage.

With lawyers at their side, Top Rank's Arum, company president Todd duBoef, Golden Boy's Schaefer and De La Hoya, along with Mayweather adviser Al Haymon, spent nine hours in mediation on Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif.

The sides struck a deal during the marathon session Tuesday, but it was contingent on getting the fighters to sign off, Arum said.

On Wednesday, they were back in their offices -- Golden Boy in Los Angeles and Top Rank in Las Vegas -- and worked the phones with their clients while still under Weinstein's gag order not to talk to the media.

Arum said Pacquiao agreed to ease his demands on the drug testing window but Mayweather wouldn't.

Arum said Pacquiao agreed to shorten the window for a blood test to 24 days before the fight. In order to receive a Nevada boxing license, Pacquiao took the standard annual blood test 24 days before his May 2009 fight with Ricky Hatton.

"Manny accepted what was on the table and Mayweather rejected it," Arum said. "Haymon and Schaefer tried to convince Floyd all [Tuesday night] and [Wednesday] and he wouldn't agree to it. He didn't want the fight. He never wanted the fight. I always knew the fight wouldn't happen."

The drug testing became a major issue when Floyd Mayweather Sr., the father of the fighter, made several public remarks accusing Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs without a shred of proof. Mayweather Jr. later made similar remarks about Pacquiao using PEDs, even though Pacquiao denies it and has never failed a drug test.

"When the fight was offered, Manny accepted it with no hesitation," Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz told ESPN.com from the Philippines, where he was with Pacquiao. "We're not surprised. We saw this coming once they started this drug bull----. It was a way for them to get out of the fight. I don't think Mayweather expected Manny to accept the challenge so quickly."

The accusations led Pacquiao to file a defamation lawsuit last week in Nevada U.S. District Court against Mayweather Jr., Schaefer, Golden Boy president De La Hoya, Floyd Mayweather Sr., Roger Mayweather and Mayweather Promotions.

"The guys who should be most disappointed in the fight being off are Schaefer and De La Hoya because they went along with this guy [Mayweather] and ended up with gatz and a big lawsuit," Arum said.

Said Koncz: "We agreed to move the drug testing to 24 days under the supervision of the Nevada commission and Mayweather still wouldn't budge. So now what we've done is give up maybe $40 million to take a stand for Manny's principles. We will proceed with the lawsuit in an effort to clear his name and tarnished image. Even if they make a public apology it's not enough. Now they'll have to prove to a judge that Manny is on drugs, which they won't be able to do because he's not. Manny is pissed off because he feels Floyd is a chicken and because he tarnished his reputation. This is about principle. We have nothing to hide."

Golden Boy also risks losing its share in Pacquiao's contract, Arum said.

"There's an arbitration which calls for them to lose any percentage of Manny's promotional contract, something we asked for and had postponed, but now it will go forward," Arum said. "We did that two weeks ago before Manny filed his lawsuit. It's binding arbitration. Our request was for Golden Boy to forfeit its interest in Pacquiao's contract based on the fact that they had demeaned Pacquiao with their remarks [alleging he used PEDs] and that it violated the [2007] agreement between Pacquiao, Top Rank and Golden Boy."

Arum now plans on moving forward with Pacquiao facing Foreman, who won his 154-pound title on the Nov. 14 undercard of Pacquiao's 12th-round knockout of Miguel Cotto to win a welterweight belt. Pacquiao would move up in weight to try to win a title in his eighth division. Pacquiao already holds the record, having won titles in seven divisions.

Mayweather could also still fight on another date in March, potentially against former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi.

"We're going to talk to the MGM because they're out of a fight," Arum said.

Arum added that the fight could also wind up at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas or perhaps in Dallas, where Cowboys owner Jerry Jones made a strong pitch to bring Pacquiao-Mayweather to his new stadium.

Dan Rafael covers boxing for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4803490