80's-90's MEMORIES

poop stache

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

When Tower records was going out of business, they liquidated their CDs for pennies on the dollar. I essentially cleared out their death metal section. Introduced me to Black Dahlia Murder and The Faceless among others. cir. 2006

Tower Records was like the Giving Tree, even in death, it provided. RIP in peace  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, misteraven said:

Raise your hand if you owe Columbia House money for those penny CD’s you signed up for. 

image.jpeg

can somebody explain this in detail 

we didn't have this but Iw ould definitely have paid the 1cent to get CD's to sell for profit.

Or did you have to buy like 2 cd's at 20.00 to get the 8  cheap ones?

music has always  been very expensive in Au so this woul d have been a goldmine.

• Like 1

It was something like 10 CDs, or before that, cassettes, for a penny but then I think you were supposed to be part of their club where you were supposed to order 10 more or something at club price.  You could also order others offered at whatever price, but you had to buy the 10 at regular price to fulfill your end of the deal.  Of course tons of people just ordered 10 discs or tapes and kept that shit.  

• Like 2

As a kid I spent all my $ on tapes so that club shit was an easy way to get a bunch of shit I wanted and then quit.  That article was cool.  I read the print and the fine print when I signed up and was never sent something I didn't want.  My buddy and his bro def ordered a whole bunch of shit from them as kids and never paid.  They sent a whole bunch of shit to try to collect until his dad called and told them they entered into a contract with kids which is illegal and fuck off.  And then they all probably put a tape on and rocked out.

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

20 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

can somebody explain this in detail 

we didn't have this but Iw ould definitely have paid the 1cent to get CD's to sell for profit.

Or did you have to buy like 2 cd's at 20.00 to get the 8  cheap ones?

music has always  been very expensive in Au so this woul d have been a goldmine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_House

Screenshot_20210915-152240_Brave.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ndv said:

I am still rocking mine.  I have my Awia in my office so when I get in tomorrow I'll snap a pic.

Still rocking mine.  This unit was flooded twice, still works, other than the amp pops and the sounds will stop, but turn of the vol. knob, and sounds comes back on.  Easy fix but just haven't done it, yet.

20210920_113909.jpg

Edited by ndv
  • Like 1
  • Props 3

@ndv I still have mine too but the discs won't rotate so it won't play.  Know there has to be more than one hood shop that does stereo repair cheap but not sure where.  This was a common problem with these models.  Saw some fancy stereo place that charges like $75 for a diagostic that they'll apply toward repairs if you do them, but these things are like $90 used so not worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:12 PM, fat ralphy said:

We used to have these shits in the 80’s…..

image.thumb.jpeg.af64417a3f47d1fe1ab6fae0481c6f57.jpeg

/whitekidoner

Fuck fuck fuck fuck!

The Asian kid named Chris down the street had this. I was like 11 years old and hella wanted one too. Saw one in the store one day... just one left.  Asked mom and she said that i have to earn it with my own money. Mowing the lawn .25 cents... raking the leaves .10 cents.. taking the trash out .05 cents... washing and drying the dishes .05 cents etc etc.  After a couple of weeks, i had an envelope with like $6.50 in change. Would check on it every time i was in the store. At some point i had like a cool $8... well, someone eventually bought that last fucking one. Soon after they started putting the orange tips on all the guns and my hopes of owning a battery operated uzi watergun were gone for good. 

I still get pissed off thinking about how i never got this as a kid. Fuck!

• Like 3
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

@CALIguladood - remember once they stopped with the realistic style they had another one that would shoot blue or red dye that would disappear after a while…..those things were dope too.

Your mom had you grinding hard for that money bro - nickel and diming you haha I feel that, we were hella poor until my mom married my stepdad. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

@CALIguladood - remember once they stopped with the realistic style they had another one that would shoot blue or red dye that would disappear after a while…..those things were dope too.

Your mom had you grinding hard for that money bro - nickel and diming you haha I feel that, we were hella poor until my mom married my stepdad. 

Those were Zap-It guns with the dye.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

LoL.. yeah, i remember zapit guns... never got one of those either. 

I wonder how those would sell now. 

I've also wondered how super soakers would sell now. Everyone had the super soaker 50 and then the 100...i had neither. 

I feel as though i was robbed of my childhood. 

I did have grenade water balloons though lol

Mom definitely nickle and dimed me

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CALIgula said:

LoL.. yeah, i remember zapit guns... never got one of those either. 

I wonder how those would sell now. 

I've also wondered how super soakers would sell now. Everyone had the super soaker 50 and then the 100...i had neither. 

I feel as though i was robbed of my childhood. 

I did have grenade water balloons though lol

Mom definitely nickle and dimed me

Grenade water balloons were great. I definitely had a little collection of super soakers from a few birthdays and Christmas gifts. Wish I still had them.

• Like 2

We used to attached rubber surgical cords to funnels and make homemade water balloon launchers.

Switchblades out of popsicle sticks and clothes pins. 

Crunch the soda can between frame and bike tire and ride out like bad asses. 

Watch the Search for Animal Chin, skate this mini spin ramp we had. 

80’s were the shit.

Random memories... sure these have been mentioned..

Going to the snack bar at little league games....

Nachos, grape big league chew and bubble yum....

Bubble yum... commercial would go "6 feet of bubble gum, for you, not them"

Also kind of random but anyone else remember making book covers for school textbooks out of paper shopping bags??

• Like 1
  • Truth 2
  • Props 2