The best reasons to believe that there is a God

nsmbfan

Back to what I said before, a massive catastrophe isn't necessary. Even if the universe continues expanding, eventually there will be a form of heat death where matter is so spread out that there are no molecular interactions occurring to increase temperature and everything will wind up being absolute zero. This is a slow process that wouldn't happen until so long after our own sun burned out that it's barely worth mentioning, because the chances of our race surviving that long are extremely small.

ok lol so back on topic. wheres the proof that theirs a god?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok lol so back on topic. wheres the proof that theirs a god?

here's what we came up with i think so far:

1. ABSENCE OF EVIDENCE IS NOT THE EVIDENCE OF ABSENCE!

2. you truly are alone out there and will die and turn to worm food

3. god is a vindictive malevolent being, hell bent on fucking you over

4. god does exist because I got laid on jesus's birthday (newest addition)

pick from one of those.

• Like 1

Jesus christ...

Do people even read threads before they comment?

That's the beauty of this format, a cataloged series of thoughts with a continuous theme amongst them.

Please, please, please people; read the thread before you post.

The_Joker- the very questions you are asking have been responded to in the nine previous pages to your post. Read them. If you have further questions or opinions, please do post. I'm not tryin to put you on blast, but I find this to be one of the major reasons that threads in this section of the forum have "an expiration date" on them. People just post their thoughts without looking into what has been said before, and then questions start getting re-hashed, and things just become redundant.

• Like 1

Jesus christ...

Do people even read threads before they comment?

That's the beauty of this format, a cataloged series of thoughts with a continuous theme amongst them.

Please, please, please people; read the thread before you post.

The_Joker- the very questions you are asking have been responded to in the nine previous pages to your post. Read them. If you have further questions or opinions, please do post. I'm not tryin to put you on blast, but I find this to be one of the major reasons that threads in this section of the forum have "an expiration date" on them. People just post their thoughts without looking into what has been said before, and then questions start getting re-hashed, and things just become redundant.

Training to become a school marm?

not trying to derail the the thread but how is white chapel or swedish metal 'hipster'?

Haha well I'm into a alot of black metal. Not deathcore and stuff thats cool at the moment. Its the same difference as in if a kid says all the bands on the warped tour are hardcore bands. He/she thinks their hardcore bands because they scream and have breakdowns. When in reality hardcore is a massive sub culture just like graffiti. Its not out in the open. Its modern day punk. Nah mean?

yeah i do, but i still don't understand how whitechapel or metal from sweden can immediately be called hipster. but w/e. this is not the thread or the channel for this.

does anyone here read into the philosophies presented in normal American fiction? ie the thoughts of steinbeck or mccarthy or hemingway on god? i really enjoy piecing together, or trying to, those authors ideas by the ideas of their characters.

cormac mccarthy especially. i really want to have drinks with him someday.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone here read into the philosophies presented in normal American fiction? ie the thoughts of steinbeck or mccarthy or hemingway on god? i really enjoy piecing together, or trying to, those authors ideas by the ideas of their characters.

cormac mccarthy especially. i really want to have drinks with him someday.

Of course I do, but I would point out that you missed other early/mid 20th century landmark writers such as Faulkner, Fitzgerald, and 'Tennessee'... and I'll challenge you to look into 'modern' writers like Tom McGuane and Jim Harrison. I think I've made it pretty clear in the past, however, that the be all end all for me is Douglas Adams. He's the most absurdly correct IMHO. Seroiously though, check out 'The Sporting Club' by McG and 'A Good Day to Die' by Harrison.

• 2 weeks later...

I skimmed through most of this thread and believe that a part of David Foster Wallace's commencement speech to Kenyon College '05 best addresses "the best reason to believe that there is a God" as opposed to good proof for why god exists.

"Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And an outstanding reason for choosing some sort of God or spiritual-type thing to worship -- be it J.C. or Allah, be it Yahweh or the Wiccan mother-goddess or the Four Noble Truths or some infrangible set of ethical principles -- is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things -- if they are where you tap real meaning in life -- then you will never have enough. Never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your own body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly, and when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally plant you. On one level, we all know this stuff already -- it's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, bromides, epigrams, parables: the skeleton of every great story. The trick is keeping the truth up-front in daily consciousness. Worship power -- you will feel weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to keep the fear at bay. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart -- you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. And so on." - David Foster Wallace.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122178211966454607.html

However, Wallace didn't literally advise the graduating class to become religious and what he said can be taken many ways. One significance in what he said was how he saw religion, vanity, power, and intellectualism, (I would have added art) as servants to the same purpose - survival. So, assuming that you're haven't yet discovered life's absurdity, the best reason to believe in God, or anything, is because it is convenient.

• Like 1

So, assuming that you're haven't yet discovered life's absurdity, the best reason to believe in God, or anything, is because it is convenient.

how convenient. you summed up 10 pages in one quote. kudos.

i see you're new. what are the chances you googled this question only to show up here to answer? would be cooler than if you were lurking brick slayers and had a moment of clarity.

either way I'm intrigued. thanks for the input.