Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nsmbfan

The best reasons to believe that there is a God

i personally belive God created me and everyone out of love. i personally plan to be a catholic priest.

Why not just follow the religion without fucking 7 year old boys?

Ba dum ching

^^^ haha I was gonna say the same thing, I don't know why anyone would want to follow the catholic religion with all it's crazy ideas, anti birth control which has helped increase AIDS in Africa because of their stupid missionaries, anti abortion, and then with the Catholic church covering up horrendous child abuse allegations and allowing their priests to stay having contact with children even though they know they are abusers, fuck I swear the Catholic church is one of the most disgusting and corrupt organisations in the world, they aren't religious good people they are greedy self centred bastards who have no care about what harm their pathetic ideals do.

I haev no problem with individual's beliefs but the huge organisations that exploit these people's faith are what I am against.

i hate it when people force their beliefs and try to say that their religion is the right one and your a goner if you dont believe something similar.

that pushes more people away from what their preaching than anything in my opinion.

This is Crossfire, there's a slightly higher standard of seriousness of debate. Just a reminder to take the shallow flames to Ch. 0.

I am a big detractor of the Catholic viewpoint, but not every Catholic priest is a pedophile or conspirator with pedophiles. There are a few honest if naive practitioners who are decent people and believe that they are helping others. They just don't seem fit for serious debate. I haven't met one who can take the first basic non-naive step of noticing the geographical and familial patterns involved in the passing on of a particular religion (i.e. you were raised Catholic, so that's what you go with, yet you will tell the faithful Muslim who was raised Muslim that he errs).

yes I agree not every catholic priest is a paedophile, however there was a huge cover up by the catholic church of the abuse of children, this is why I made my comment, people who would normally find child abuse disgusting (real priests) helped cover the backs of less than reputable priests who were abusing children, this is systematic abuse that happened over decades. The fact that the church covered this up to help protect it's reputation is completely unforgivable and completely outweighs any good the organisation may do, in my eyes.

Not to mention the backwards ideas on contraception and abortion and divorce which causes people misery the world over. Considering they follow rules made up by men to control men they could just move with the times, it doesn't help when you have the pope making comments against contraception and making generally poorly thought out and negligent statements.

* math (sacred geometry,the flower of life the fibonnocci sequence)

Wow, it pains me to quote your usually idiotic ass plus the fact that you gayed it up with flowers. I think the only reason you haven't got more tampons is because people just ignore you en masse....

but...

This is the ONLY good argument for a master manipulator I have ever heard.

The Mandlebrot or Julia series, the divine proportion...

Back in '95 I was at a small dinner party with a bunch of strangers. I was forced to talk to the guy on my right, a physics instructor at Annapolis. We talked about time travel, or, more to the point, the attempted exposition of the uncertainty principle. He explained to me how certain experiments had basically proven that time travel happens on an atomic level, and it went on...

In the end though, it's just math and behind math is more math. Euclid, Descartes, Mandelbrot... pretty powerful stuff but, in the end, it's still only human quantification of forms. The forms become increaingly complex but once the new levels are achieved we're all left in the same place. Projecting human 'understanding' on systems we can hardly understand.

If this is enough to convince you of the existence of God then so be it, but I tend to think it's more like a road map to more stuff we can barely comprehend.

Consider the Lilies.

Why not just follow the religion without fucking 7 year old boys?

Ba dum ching

i understand what your saying but you also need to remeber that not even 1% of priests have done something so disgusting

yes I agree not every catholic priest is a paedophile, however there was a huge cover up by the catholic church of the abuse of children, this is why I made my comment, people who would normally find child abuse disgusting (real priests) helped cover the backs of less than reputable priests who were abusing children, this is systematic abuse that happened over decades. The fact that the church covered this up to help protect it's reputation is completely unforgivable and completely outweighs any good the organisation may do, in my eyes.

Not to mention the backwards ideas on contraception and abortion and divorce which causes people misery the world over. Considering they follow rules made up by men to control men they could just move with the times, it doesn't help when you have the pope making comments against contraception and making generally poorly thought out and negligent statements.

I agree with all of this. I just wasn't buying the blanket statement that they're all evil and/or pedophiles.

I personally think god/gods/religious diaties/etc is a way to make sense of the fact that you are just a highly evolved organism but atthe same time what made the chemicals that formed us

i understand what your saying but you also need to remeber that not even 1% of priests have done something so disgusting

but you have to remember that while it may have only been a small number that did the abusing the church as a whole tried to cover it up and for many decades have kept it under wraps.

The Catholic church should really look at aspects of it's religion that are dated, why shouldn't people use Birth Control, surely god gave man the ability to invent it? Why can't people get divorced, surely god gave man the initiative to come up with the idea that living in unhappiness is a silly thing to do? If God is this huge being that made everything and made man and gave man the ability to think for himself then it isn't against god's will for us to make these choices, that is what he would have wanted us to do. Fair enough if individuals don't agree with abortion etc but as an organisation the Catholic church shouldn't be dictating what is right or wrong.

I personally think that not allowing a priest to be married and have children is holding him back in his ability to be able to help his congregation because he doesn't knwo the issues they face.

Don't get me wrong I am very strongly anti-religious but these organisations need to move with the times and take responsibility for the terrible information they pass on to their followers.

I think the churches not adopting and evolving is better, as it exposes the uselessness of the church. If something has been followed as doctrine by the church for years and is removed because it is no longer in tune with the times, then how can they tell you to follow the rest of the dogma with any real authority? how are you to know IT wont be abandoned 50 years from now as social norms change? I really dont understand this idea that you can be born and baptised into a particular sect like Catholicism, then spend most of your life doing things that are outlawed or frowned upon by the church, and still WANT to call yourself a Catholic. it seems insane to me. if you find your life and morals to be in conflict with the church wouldn't you want to look for something more fitting? I would.

As I said before, I was have only been using the form of "God" as hinted at and laid out at the beginning of this thread by NSMBFAN.

I am not trying to say these comments extend to every interpretation of that word, capitalized or otherwise. Thus my reticence to say it applies to Mar's "G-d," etc...

Right, you were clear, I wasn't disputing anything, just trying to expand on what I said previously. I was also trying to clarify why I choose to stick with the "god" terminology.

The idea of "God" as a being that either exists or does not exist just seems like such a limited view, and with the help of dicktards like Richard Dawkins it's become a completely overblown debate. I guess that's why we had the 'creator' thread.

i changed my mind. there is definitely a god. and he cares about me.

BECAUSE ON THANKSGIVING I GOT LAID BY A HOT 19 YR OLD STRIPPER!

that is all. i'll read the rest later and contribute.

^^ don't put that sort of shit down to god, I would have put it down to my own awesomeness!! Fuck giving anyone else credit for your player skills!!

TIMMMMAAAAAY.jpg.b6ae065372e6b538989ef7b94f7e5d43.jpg

haha, i'm decent. just a broke pimp.

she was a down ass chick too, a keeper if she wasn't such a bitch. it's ok though, a few natty light 24oz'ers and a little shit talking to keep her ass in check, and she was smitten with me.

she hopped in the ride and didn't shit on it, which is the normal reaction to my ride. she goes "your window don't roll down..." and i'm like "....yeah...." and she goes "if you get the parts, I can fix it" - wait, wut? LOL wow this chick is kinda cool, I thought.

then we went and picked up a fat sack of herb. she notices the rusto can in the back and goes "let's go paint something"... so we did.

i was in awe.

but she's 19 and a rude bitchy slut. and she used to do dope when she stripped, which would explain her sluttiness. but god damn she had some big ass perky tits. i tore that shit up. her words exactly "you can do anything you want, my safe word is kittens" - wow.

we had some rough drunken sex, she woke up and her puss was hurting LOL.

but theres no shame in my game, i had whiskey dick the first half of the night (LOL!) and couldn't break her off proper until i sobered up a little. stilled smashed until my pelvis was sore. fucking win.

i give you about a week before the rash starts to appear...

jk.

Why would you want to talk people down for believing in what they believe in? That's just an act of ignorance and arrogance. You're an atheist, I get it. I think we all get it, but it seems that you're wanting to portray your simple-mindedness to the rest of 12oz.

If you are bitching about theists wanting to disprove your idea of a God that you don't think exists, then why regurgitate what they're doing and forcing it upon them?

It makes no sense, it's just a circle that never completes itself.

Religion and science will always be head on with each other, and like I said to Ski Mask in a PM, science will always win. I hate to admit it, but the truth is the truth.

Theists cannot visually prove the existence of God but science can disprove it just for the fact that there is no manifestation of a visible human being.

My faith in God is up high, all though I don't follow some of the beliefs of my own religion, I still believe that he exists. The replication of a miniature Big Bang through CERN's technology furthers my trust that yes, God exists.

Notice how I used science to semi-prove and get across a point. If man can recreate the beginning of the universe, then why couldn't another being from another vast universe do the same?

The universe is ENORMOUS in size and we have yet to know if we are the only universe out there. Nobody knows how many of "us" there are. We cannot be that selfish that we think that we are the only beings in this world. It's just simply ignorant.

With that said I will answer your question, nsmb, to why I believe in the existance of God.

I just simply believe. I have found within myself that I have chosen the correct path to go on. I at anytime can stray from this path, but it's not what I want to do. Faith is exactly that, faith. And it's what I have, it's what helps me be close to the God I believe in.

I have many, many, influences from the atheist point of view due to many of my friends not believing in a higher power or wanting proof that one exists. We have had intellectual discussions as to why we believe and vice versa. Most of their responses are either it's just to absurd to believe in something like that or I need proof.

One's beliefs are personal and no one should interfere or bring them down.

Religion will never be expelled from humanity, it's impossible.

Welcome to the new age of living.

well, you make the most sense. props if i weren't 24'd.

i am not an athiest. but I do believe that religion is a form of control. and I dislike that. but considering the alternative (no religion, no control) I think that's why it was created by Charlemagne in the first place. it makes perfect sense if you want people to live amongst each other in a functioning society. but religion generally uses fear.

fear as a motivator is not good for me. for anyone. it will only make you do just enough to NOT incure the wrath of that which you consider holy. ie. i'd kill my neighbor for his land if Im hungry... then fuck his wife - if religion didn't tell me that this selfish behavior will lead to my wicked enternal damnation, what the fuck keeps me from being all Ghengis Kahn in this mother?

i've dabbled in numerous schools of thought on religion and existence, and like a buffet, I sample from them all. what I learned is that it all leads to one thing: the golden rule. do unto others as you would have done unto you. and you'll lead a happy life.

but with all religions, they justify war and killing "in the name of". be nice, live a good life, but this guys gotta die because god said so. just doesn't compute with me. hypocrisy runs rampant as is, it doesn't need to be in religion.

as to the vicious circle and me mocking others faith, you're right. this was really never my intention. it was sort of a joke. truth is i'm open to new ideas. i'd love to understand how you can blindly believe something. i would. ignorance is bliss, no?

it seems as though most people believe whatever's convenient, in order to be at peace with themselves. everybody asks the question. religion is an easy answer for those not ready to draw up their own conclusions.

now spiritualism - i am very spiritual. that's an entirely different thread. and spiritualism has been removed from organized religion. the idea that we are ALL connected somehow, in ways we don't fully understand, has been silenced by most religions of the world. my 70 yr old grandmother believes that all the nice buddhists living peacefully in the mountains will go to hell for not believing the word of Christ - even though some haven't had the luxury of hearing it. seems unfair.

i give you about a week before the rash starts to appear...

jk.

...yeah....

hopefully it's the curable one though. thanks for the vote of confidence.

The only thing that bothers me about this atheist/religious debate is the need for both sides to convert the other. It seems pointless.

but they do it for completely different reasons.

religious folks try and convert to "save your soul", because it's their mission from the almighty. (see: missionaries)

athiests try to convert for numerous reasons. but i think least of all is to diminish your hopes and dreams of their being a creator. i think it takes just as much conviction to be an athiest - or for that ridiculous matter, satanist. it's the other side of the same coin.

now agnostic is what i'd closely consider myself. not saying there is, not saying there isn't. just an impartial bystander observing and reporting. mocking idiots from both sides.

bottom line: you don't know. regardless of what is you think you know. can't we just coexist?

in the future religion will be looked upon as a primitive means of comforting the soul and controlling the stupid masses. and if the robots hadn't killed us all after the zombie invasion, the world will be a better place - or at least we won't wage holy wars, we'll think of something new to kill ourselves over.

There is always going to be a certain disconnect between historic cultures and our own analyses of them.

I think it's fine that you have speculations about the creation, purpose and use of these structures, but just as you are claiming that we and science can say little on them, you should keep that in mind yourself.

I think all Ski Mask and I were saying is that speculative commentary is not going to get you anywhere in a scientific argument. That's all.

I too have somewhat out there views on these things, but I'm not gonna put them out there because it doesn't have dick to do with anything really. It's best to leave what you can't speak with some validity or certainty on out of arguments where there is more than enough to speak about aptly.

what i heard after reading that twice is:

speak on what you know, because what you theorize won't hold water in a real argument.

problem is i don't know much. i'm asking questions, not discerning facts. and that's all Van Daniken does in his book. which is revolutionary because they haven't been fully explored and disproven - yet. it's neat to think outside the box and promote discussion in forums.

but if that's not welcome, we can all regurgitate our pre-fabricated stories of existence. but that's what church is for. affirmation in ones beliefs. well i aim to make people think. and if i've accomplished that, even with one person, my post wasn't in vain.

I think the reason the people don't believe in God, is because they have never been in a position where they needed to believe in God. Live has been to easy for them.

My Logic:

There is no such thing as an Atheist in a foxhole.

this is the same reason people don't buy health insurance :) why buy health insurance, I'm not sick. LOL.

and you're absulutely right about athiests in foxholes. makes sense seeing how our country is always at war. it does strengthen ones belief in god when you're getting shot at.

nowadays, the guy shooting back is only doing it because his god told him to LOL. and it's hot in the desert, it makes people irritable.

thats the same reason that my father became a christian..again.he was a wiccan for a while.then after he spent a few years at war he decided to become a catholic...

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now