OCD and other bullshit ruin your life?

coffie crave 7

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in all seriousness my dad has OCD mild but he has it so i suppose i do too lol

in my opinion many people that do graff n dance have some sort of neurological problem

vandalicious if your not a cop like everyone else thinks,you got some problems and i hope you dont end up doin what you said on your post..i would hate to see students and parents suffer over your selfish stupidity.

I don't know if this shit runs in the family or not, but apparently you might be born with it.

Cause I was walking with my 3 year old son the other day on this weird sidewalk and I caught him going out of his way to make an effort to take two steps in each tile and to not step on the cracks.

I remember doing that when I was a kid too.

He's def. got it, I did the exact same shit when I was younger too.

I sort of regressed from having to touch everything a certain number of times for things to feel "right" I have sort of just put it into my mind mostly now but that's kinda fucked up too because out of the blue I'll just start copping these negative/fucked up thoughts and I have to tell myself to stop doing it

I still cop the shit every day and somedays it's worse than others but you just deal with it and move on. The trick is to try not to think about it and if you do start copping some OCD shit you try not to indulge in it and after a while it goes away, I think meditation would work to clear your mind maybe but I'm too lazy and not really into that kind of shit.

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of people do the same type of shit that people mentioned in this thread.

I do some weird shit, but I don't consider it OCD. I count stairs when I walk up them, I don't step on the cracks in concrete sidewalks, I always double check locks, and I always double check my alarm clock before I go to sleep. I also don't like stopping the microwave unless it is on a number ending in 5 or 10. I realized some of the shit that I do tho, and being conscious of it, helped me kind of stop it. You just have to realize that the small shit that "disrupts" your thoughts or whatever is only that, it doesn't matter and it won't effect anything else. Realizing that makes it easier to just stop.

I don't think things like that can be considered OCD until it really starts fucking with your life. I don't think it would be a disorder if you just do shit like counting stairs.

Fuck, I'm too hungover to post

i had ocd when i was younger.everything had to be even,like even spaced or if i had something like a notebook laying on the desk it had to be straight it couldnt be crooked..also i counted things alot and numbers were always important to me.idk why.and refused to step on cracks in the sidewalk.and made sure i only took two steps for every block in the sidewalk and if i didnt i would get frustrated.and i had this thing about always checking the time so i had to get rid of my alarm clock becuase i wouldnt be able to get sleep if i didnt.and then you get these really weird thoughts in your head and its hard to block them out.i dont think i was ever diagnosed with ocd but im sure i had/have it.its not as bad as it used to be but yeah...shit sucks.but i also suffer from severe anxiety and have panic attacks like every day.which seem to go together with ocd alot of the times.its no fun and becuase of it ive missed out on alot of things in life...like not having an alarm clock ever and alot of other things.and i was constantly washing my hands.like after i touched anything i had to wash my hands.i got over that for the most part.

My friend/room mate is a bit of a clean freak and cleans up the place whenever its dirty. Like after a party or just the usual trash that builds up. Its nice, place has never been cleaner ha

To RiSC.. I do that microwave thing too. But I stop it when it ends in a 9

To DAO.. I also have the problem with writing on things constantly

If i'm watching a subtitled film and I miss something said, I HAVE to rewind it and know what was said, even if it's not vital to the plot, I tried ignoring it and it kept niggling me until I rewound it to find out what was said.

Same here.

My wife hates watching subtitled movies with me almost as much as I hate watching subtitled movies.

Why they always gotta flash a whole sentence in like a second like everybody's a speed reader?

I'm a perfectionist... a form of OCD.

It has gotten in the way at times because it can be very draining — both of time and energy. I have chilled out ALOT over the years, but when I'm really stressed it acts up. OCD behavior is a way of fooling your mind that you're in control. The fact is it's controlling you.

My advice to anyone dealing with this is to learn to relax and let go of the need to be in control. I personally believe that with the exception of a chemical imbalance, OCD is a learned behavior that can be undone.

Mediate, exercise, eat reasonably healthy, and let go...

i think most people that say they have OCD are full of shit.

Completely agree. Also when girls say they have a phobia of being sick. You just dont like being sick like everyone else.

I used to have mild shit like this when i was younger. I never had to organise shit but i always had to make stuff even. Like if i walked off a curb with my left foot id have to hop back on with me left too. or if i picked up a drink with one hand id have to pick it up again with the other straight after.

I knew in my head though that it was stupid and ridiculous so after a while i would try fuck it up so i wouldnt know if i had done something equal or not. I dont even think about it anymore.

I do that microwave thing too, but always stop it at 28 seconds, my alarm's always set at a certain hour & 28 minutes, when I bid on stuff on Ebay my maximum bid is always whatever £££ & 28 pence...

I've counted letters in words & sentences since I was a kid, when I was sat at my grandads death bed 6 years ago I repeatedly counted the letters on his hospital wrist tag, which added upto 28, and that number's always stuck and bothered me for some reason.

I'm use to it now & don't even notice I'm doing it half the time, fuckin pain in the ass reading books or watching sub-titled films though.

Got a really annoying teeth brushing ritual as awell.

One of my ex girlfriends has OCD and it was really tough for me to live with it for a period of my life when i was with her. AT first, thought it was all bullshit and that she was complaining and acting crazy for nothing.I have never dealt with anything like that before with anybody close to me, i did not know how to react. Then i seen her first hand and realized it was no joke. Shit got real messy at one point and we split up. She got even worse and went through intense psychiatric therapy but she never took pills. Eventually she was able to suppress it and control it to some extent. Her OCD was peculiar since it was not common symptoms like doing things in order. She had that aswell but she also suffered from thinking too much, over analyzing tings to a point of panic. She also has crazy nightmares and nightly panic attacks. Shit is no joke and i kind of regret ignoring it when it first appeared.

She was my first and only love and its shame that it went down like that. I still seen her since and we have had little moments but it never went back to normal. Shes a great person and i feel really bad that she has to deal with that for the rest of her life.

I'm in the exact same situation with my girl. everything you said was exactly on point.

propped.

• Like 1

Despite annoying me before I'm going to give you (and everyone else) a straight answer here as I love the psych related threads and the responses they bring. 1st, a lot of what people describe is more related to basic anxieties, it is not OCD. OCD involves having obsessions and/or compulsions, as follows:

Obsessions include recurring persistent thoughts/images/impulses that occur inappropriately and cause stress/anxiety. Extreme worry about ordinary shit does not count. For instance, microwaves (the waves, not the machine) are bad for you. Worrying about exposure to them is not abnormal. When these thoughts, etc., occur, the person tries to neutralize them through behavior and/or thoughts. The person is aware that these thoughts, etc., come from themselves, as in, they know they are not just worrying about ordinary shit.

Compulsions involve repeated physical or mental behaviors (checking the stove, counting in your mind). This happens in response to an obsession or based on strictly applied rules. Th goal of this is to eliminate stress or prevent something perceived as bad from happening. The behavior is excessive for its purpose or not realistically related to what it is meant to prevent.

The person w/ OCD knows it's unreasonable/excessive, it causes them distress, it takes up more than 1 hour/day, it interferes w/ functioning.

This all being said, the answer generally is therapy and/or meds. I believe cognitive/behavioral therapy is best. Therapy will generally not work unless you are motivated to do it. Aside from therapy, there are some basic books/workbooks on OCD that you can generally find at the local Borders/Barnes & Noble/online that covers the basic techniques you would encounter in therapy. If you are disturbed enough by the thoughts/behaviors you have to go through, you may wish to check some of them out.

-Dr. Phil McCracken

Everyone has some mental oddity just depends on the severity that would necessitate pills and shit. Me? When typing up something I have to retype certain words multiple times to "get it right" and save a document at least 3 times over, checking if it is where I saved it to each time. Just weird shit.

I call bullshit on the majority of people claimin they have OCD and ADD/ADHD.

I call bullshit on the majority of people claimin they have OCD and ADD/ADHD.

Probably true, although more based on their own lack of knowledge of what mental illness is. ADHD is a whole other story. You have to remember that as a diagnosis it's fairly new. We didn't have this years ago before our shortened attention span generation. The other thing is that the diagnosis occurs most often w/ children. There are other disorders that can seem like ADHD in children, such as bipolar disorder or PTSD. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors are hesitant to diagnose bipolar disorder for a child, because enough time may not have passed to make a definitive diagnosis or because of the stigma attached to that, especially for a child.