ROAD TRIP USA (and Canada)

WORDISM45

Since you're going to be here in early winter I'd recommend sticking to Interstate 10 which goes through the south. If you feel up to it you can take Interstate 80....which will take you directly to SF, but expect snow and freezing weather till the Bay Area (where you will be greeted by rain).

Let us know when you get to the Bay Area and we'll tell you where all the spots are.

Word on this, drove from Chicago to Salt Lake this past January, the wind blows worse than a cheap hooker through Wyoming, I was also driving a 2wd Suburban with bald tires packed full with shit and 5 people at 4am on no sleep, hitting ice patches trying not to slide my ass off the mountain.

But if shit gets bad snow-wise on 80, they'll close the expressway down and the sign says "Return to Cheyenne"(or whatever "city" you passed last)

And you're pretty much guaranteed to get pulled over in Nebraska with out of state plates. Speed limit is 75 when you pass Omaha, but 2mph over that shit and they'll nail you. Happened to me, and everybody else I know that's traveled through Nebraska.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis is dirty and i used to hate it... but it's got it's own thing going for it as a city and is full of culture. You can't experience Memphis on the surface. Lord said it- it's boring and dirty... but you have to dig to find what you're looking for or know someone who does and honestly it really depends on what you're into. if you don't like music or ridiculously good BBQ... don't bother.

BUT, If you happen to stumble upon Memphis- get at me.

i went to memphis in july....i gotta say, that city is kinda struggling. there's like 2 blocks downtown that aren't run down and dodgy. as soon as you leave them it's straight out of new jack city.(redfern, for the aussies)

"stax records" was cool to see, but i wouldn't want to hang around that area for long.

beale st. is very underwhelming.

have a good trip :)

also the coast from the redwoods up to Portland Oregon is stunning to drive along

^^This drive is really nice. If you get a chance you should take it.

Yosemite I hear has even bigger redwood trees.

I think theyre closed for the winter though.

Also Carmel Ca has a nice beach. But thats

pretty much it. Everything else about it is expensive

and boring...oh and point lobos.

Thats a nice place too.

450px-Point_Lobos_California2.jpg

so the road trip is off. you have some gay as fuck laws involving us not being able to buy a car.

montreal tomorrow, then toronto and still panning to go to austin, new orleans and frisco

That blows...... Rent a car, unlimited mileage and beat on it until the engine is shot. Only took me 2300 miles.

Yosemite is awesome. All of norcal pretty much is..

cant do it in canada. you could go ahead and buy the actual car, but its the plates again. speaking as a former insurance broker you cant plate and register a vehicle without being a resident of the province. and the old owners have to keep the old plate, otherwise they are potentially liable for any damage the vehicle does.

Im thinking buying a car from some little used car lot if possible. Then just sell the car when your done traveling and dont even sweat the tags. I see people with temp and paper plates for years.

I figured the US would fuck you but Canada would be cool. Fuck it go down to Mexico.

Yo so we are in Toronto now, spent about a week in Montreal after New York. Montreal seems like a cool city, apparently it goes off way harder during summer than winter, still had a good night life and some cool shit to see and do.

Mega props to Stan for hooking us up in Montreal, took us out to some drinking spots and had a game of soccer in which i was made fully aware of how disgracefully unfit I am after 10 months on the road. But yeah much appreciated for showing us a good time in your home town mate look forward to returning the favour in Sydney