The Catholic Church

SwampFightOner

is a fuckin dick, no homo

As some of you may remember I was really excited to find out my brother was having a kid, because I not only got to be an uncle again, but this time a godfather also.

My Dad has since ruined that excitement for me, by pointing out that the Catholic church won't accept me to stand at a baptism. I tried to counter by pointing out that even though I wasn't confirmed, I was baptized and did make my First Communion, but he said he did that PLUS got confirmed and they still didn't accept him to stand for his goddaughters.

Apparently this is also why my niece wasn't baptized, because her godparents weren't accepted

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on being a godfather and uncle!!

but I agree completely Fuck the church, whether it is catholic or whatever other church it is. Bunch of religious zealots and pedophiles, morally corrupt and neglect religion. I have to admit I fucking hate catholicism -all my aunts and cousins are catholic so I have nothing to do with them

You guys are really focused on the religious aspect of this, when I've already stated it's simply about the tradition as far as me/my family is concerned

I haven't set foot in a church for any reason besides a wedding or a funeral since I was like 12, and I don't think I've ever been to a "regular" church service in my entire life. No worries about me being some religious moron

When most people get married or die the ceremony is in the church, correct? Even for non-religious people most of the time, right?

This is the same kind of thing, it's just a tradition

yeah but thats only because society says that we came from god and when we leave we go back to god. or something like that.

i think its manly based on the family of the person thats being laid to rest, because if its like a family of full blown athiests then naw they probly wont have their loved one in some church ceremony.

I'm an atheist, but to play devil's advocate here why should the catholic church let you be godfather? if he's being baptized into the Catholic church then by the church's standards only somebody who is actually a catholic should fill that position. If you werent confirmed, and aren't actively catholic, you dont fit the bill. "Catholic" isnt an ethnic group...you dont get permanent status just by being slightly catholic when you were a kid then completely ignoring the church afterwards.

yeah dude but i understand what youre saying, tradition etc, but the term godfather implies religion with the word GOD, youre thinking of becoming more of a don corleone? the idea of a god parent is catholic in origin.

It's a ceremonial position in this day and age. If my brother died tomorrow I wouldn't be getting his kid, as I would have when the title first came around