Going cold turkey

Bojangles

Anyone ever do this with drugs or alcohol and make it?

I've been drinking hardcore for about 12 years and after the last year of black out brawls and general regrettable actions that almost cost me everything, I decided last weekend to quit drinking.

It's been a hard week. I won't front...I'm feening for a drink bigtime. I've been moodswinging and pacing. I go from fine to a mess and back to fine in a matter of minutes.

My girl keeps trying to get me to go to a meeting, but I'm not down. I know I'll completely rebel.

So...anybody been in my shoes?

Good news?

Horror stories?

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

its doable.

iv done it with a few habits over the years. smoking aswell, and i wasnt no part timer. if drinking is yer prob maybe try quiting by hitching it up with like a healthier lifestyle er some shit too.

cause yer body is gonna feel different if your in a bad pattern with it, so use it towards something benefical.

results are always the best reason to keep going through with iksnatying somethin outta yer life.

Shit's crazy.

I was reading up on how after this long, it takes time for your serotonin levels to re-adjust etc. and I feel it. I'm ready to kill for no reason and full of negative energy one minute, then I just get hella' tired and pass out like I ran a marathon. Then I wake up half/depressed, half anxious.

I've never personally had to give anything up, I smoke cigarettes and will give that up when the time is right. However I've got friends who have gotten clean off heroin, the first 2 weeks seem to be the hardest, id say thats pretty true for all addictions.

As for the meetings, if it's not your thing then it's not your thing, although you should go and decide for yourself. I bet there are dudes just like you there, decent guys just trying to get their shit together.

wow my dude, hat goes off, i limit my intake because i know if i indulge too much it will get a good hold on me, and once i get into a habit of anything its so hard to get out of, i have never been addicted to anything, for the simple fact i have a propensity toward addiction, I don’t gamble either. The AA motto is easy does it and take it one day at a time, its very commendable and respectable that you’re making a conscious effort all by yourself, its already past the first step. success depends on how badly you want yo succeed.

its hard because of how alcohol gets integrated into everything you do, but try to find things that dont involve alcohol to distract yourself with. that first stretch is the hardest, just try to keep yourself occupied.

This is tooooo true. I would find myself saying more and more "thAt's too far to make it home from drunk." or "that's gonna be gay. There's no drinks there."

YEAH im with ya!..ive got a big problem with binge drinking!.... ive been doing it solid for the past 12 years id say also.... there hasnt been a weekend where i havnt been totally shit faced, and out of my mind.

Ive had my play with drugs but they have never realy agreed with me , most likely because ive never just had/done a bit, ive always taken it to extremes and had more and more!... drugs i dont touch no more... ive never been a fan of them anyways. lost to many close friends, that have either O.D'd or now they are just, mental , and on to many medications, they will never be the same.

From drinking i always get pains in my lower back... they say this is from boozing to much and not enough water... i only put water in my mouth to brush my teeth!.. thats about it... i also spew everyweekend... and this cant be good! i cant spew on request now, its kind of mest up!

But untill about 4 weeks ago, i had the worst pains in my lower gut area i was taken to the Dr's no one knew what was wrong with me then i was taken to emergency and was in hospital for half the day.. xrays , scans, ultra sounds blood tests, piss tests... etc etc... still dont know whats wrong with me but they have been thinking its due to my drinking habits and not really enough eating!

Anyways, i was put on these pills that i had to take for 16 days and i wasnt aloud to have a sniff of alcohol at all.. This was hard cause there isnt anything more fun than getting blasted with your mates on the weekends... Well 4 long weekends went past the 1st ad 2nd were hard, but after that i was like i dont even car anymore.

This last weekend was my first weekend that i was aloud to drink , i drank a whole bottle of jim beam, thinking that im going to be fuked tonight,,,,, but did it do anything to me, a big FAT NO!! i wasnt even drunk.

if i had to stop, id stop and im pretty sure i could,, im pretty strong like that...

Dr's Etc have tried to make me go to meetings etc and other bulltwang, but ive always said no.

Keep yourself active jangles, go paint some freights and get stuck into those killer canvas's that youve been doing, hey even paint me one :D

youll be right!.....

Well tonights halloween and you know im going to be drowing myself in alcohol and swamp juice!! :D:D:D

Did it with cigarettes and it worked. Was in college and we got a break from class, and as I was smoking I just told myself I won't smoke another one again. Threw the pack away. Haven't smoked one since and it's been a couple years.

I don't know about alcohol, but with most things (dieting, becoming sober, etc.) if you quit cold turkey there's usually a "hump period" immediately afterwards that's very difficult to get over. But once you get over that hump it should be smooth sailing from there. If you've really been a hardcore drinker maybe you should try weening yourself off. Have a drink 3 times a week. The twice a week. Then once every two weeks, and so on.

quiting cold turkey is the way. IVe quit for a week and shown myself I can do it...but not for long..I know I can do it for longer but not on my own. Im actually moving to GA at the end of November to totally quit every life frustration. My art and all forms of production have gone to shit so I need a clean slate to allow me nothing to create everything!.... Its actually a dry county haha so that helps. I dont do anything else but drink....yet sleeping in after a night keeps me doing anything before work.

The classes help but dont....they basically help you realise that you could be like that bum you saw in class but you are BETTER THAN THAT!!! AA is bullshit!!It is an inner struggle you deal with but comes with time. I say be cheaper and cheaper with the amount you buy....thats is what solved me. I went from top shelf beer ( 10 bucks a 6 pack) to 3 bucks a 4 pack tooo fooling yourslef to not making enough to buy you nada.

I USED TO BE SO BAD I'D ACTUALLY GAG A LITTLE WALKING UP TO THE BEER RACKS AT THE MINIT MARTS.

IN AND OUT OF REHABS, IN-PATIENT AND OUT PATIENT.

USED TO DRINK 40'S AT WORK BEFORE AND DURING BREAKS ON GRAVEYARD SHIFT, COMING BACK IN WITH COLOGNE AND TIC-TACS IN TOW.

IN 1 WEEK I GOT MY CAR STOLE-LOST MY JOB-LOST MY GIRL

STILL COULDN'T STOP DRINKING THE MINUTE I WOKE UP.

IT FINALLY TOOK MOVING TO A HICK PART OF THE COUNTRY TO GET AWAY FROM MY "DRINKING-PARTNERS"

A YEAR AND A HALF LATER I ASKED MYSELF IF I WAS READY TO FINALLY SAY NO TO THE HOMIES OFFERING 40's, AND ONLY WHEN I COULD SAY "YES" DID I MOVE BACK.

I CROSS-ADDICTED BACK TO CHEWING TOBACCO AND TO THIS DAY 8 YEARS LATER ANYTIME I GET A DRINKING URGE I JUST CHEW (GRIZZLY WINTERGREEN)

AT WORK ANYTIME STRESS EVEN REARS IT'S UGLY HEAD,,, CHEW TIME YA'LL.

COLD TURKEY WITH A CRUTCH

YOU'LL NEVER QUIT IF YOU DON'T DO IT 100% FOR YOURSELF, AND NOBODY ELSE.

PEACE

I was seriously contemplating cold turkeying booze a couple of weeks ago, i told myself i would cut down, that has not happen. The only reason i want to drink less is becasue of the money and the fact that i have been doing the most retarded shit whilst drunk in the last few months.

Stupid fights and just being a general prick to friends. I think i have to find a level of drinking that im all good at becasue im the kind of guy that once i start i dont stop untill im either broke or asleeep.

Good luck beejangz.

its doable.

iv done it with a few habits over the years. smoking aswell, and i wasnt no part timer. if drinking is yer prob maybe try quiting by hitching it up with like a healthier lifestyle er some shit too.

cause yer body is gonna feel different if your in a bad pattern with it, so use it towards something benefical.

results are always the best reason to keep going through with iksnatying somethin outta yer life.

I'd go with this.

Whenever your feeling all anxious and shitty go to the gym or get out with some people you know don't drink but still want to chill with.

getting yourself out of the mental habit is a large part of it.

associate your feelings of wanting to drink with something else than getting a beer.

all easier said than done.

i did this with pot.

smoked just about every day for ten years.

got sick of spending money and time on it,

sick of the way it controlled my days, etc.

and one day i just...stopped.

tried smoking a few weeks later and got crazy pnoid high.

it was not fun.

haven't done it since, and it's been like...four months?

crazy how easy it was.

next step: ciggies.

This is tooooo true. I would find myself saying more and more "thAt's too far to make it home from drunk." or "that's gonna be gay. There's no drinks there."

I say things like this all the time. I don't mind driving a short distance but I've done many Boston to Providence trips wasted. Sucks.

Anyway, I don't ever see myself trying to quit drinking completely. There just doesn't seem to be a good enough reason to yet.

I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey after 4 or 5 years of smoking heavily. I was working out, running, and eating healthy too. I was in the best shape of my life for about 3 months. I don't know what the hell happened but I stopped it all. I got an ill beer belly, started smoking again, and occasionally eat fast food all in the past 2 1/2 months.

To be honest, I'm disgusted with myself.

To be honest, I'm disgusted with myself.

I am too, you fat piece of shit

I've been drinking more or less every day for the last 3 years, with a day or two off every once in a great while. I know it's not good for me and I should probably slow down, but then I realize I don't really have a reason to and keep chugging along because I'm havin so much fun in the process

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing too much coke and I'll make myself stop for a week just to prove I can. Im OK with lots of recreational drug use, but I hafta periodically check just to make sure I don't flip out if I don't do it haha