Art School Graffiti

Graf Orlok

Guest OVERsketched

Graff is considered in my mind what you want it to be. You make you own definition and if it gets you respect let it be. I dont care what people think if they hate it then fine if they like it and give me props well that is a bonus. But i have known to many people to take dissing to heart and they had pure skill but gave up due to this fact.

The graff world is to biased, i mean i hate toys who fuck the system up for recognition just so they can bragg to there school mates about it. But some toys are the ones that are the next generation of graffers, these ones need help in ways and cant get it because of the BIG HEADINESS of alot of writers.

Another point is that art school is really good for the ART MINDED person. My sister tried to get into really good fashion course but got declined based on a biased view towards PRIVATE school kids.She went to art school completed the 13th year as they call it in Australia and then she got excepted into one of the best Unis in the world for fashion. But art school aint for the every day punk who wants it just for graff. If you want to go to art school use that for your ocupation.

I do personlly lie some of the work that people do with spray paint and it looks really cool you can learn alot off omeone that isnt trying to get up or recognition for there lettering style.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if they can do sick characters or whutever let them. people are to into whuts "in" at this point they want to fit into something that dosent fit into anything at all therefore you cant really label sumthing graffiti just as you can label something graffiti. its all in your mind. and if some one goes to art school to better themselves who cares. graffiti(for me at least) is kept in my heart and head and could give a fuck about everyone else. fame is cool but who cares whut others think? at the end of the day ur the only one thats guna be there for you to say "damn im good" i could be wrong but let people be. once you start labeling graffiti where is it guna stop?

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Graf Orlok

I just wanted to try to get a discussion going about non-traditional graffiti - aka art school graffiti. Is it legit? What do you all think about artists who are using aerisol but have no intentions of learning or even attempting letter styles. I have seen a growth of graffiti that involves characters and images without a 'tag'. Are these people graffiti writers or just public painters? Is text a requirement for graffiti?

Some great writers seem better known (at least to the greater public) for characters more than letter styles... Twist, Bigfoot, Dalek....

I know these people all are also taggers as well, but what about someone who doesn't even try 'traditional' graffiti, like Banksy? Which brings us to the topics of wheatpasting and propaganda. Is it graffiti? What about somebody who uses graf letters but doesn't subscribe to a handle, or particular tag? If these people aren't 'writers', what do we call them?

I enjoy all types, and I guess it is just a matter of labelling.

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware that a post of this type will brand me both an 'art fag' and a 'toy', so there is no need to post a reply saying so. I'm also aware that the lack of ghetto slang may make some members suspect that I am a cop. So please, there are hundreds of other threads that you can post your disses on, let us keep this one thoughtful and intelligent, if at all possible.

Thanks,

i actually think this is a pretty good discussion, i havent bothered to read anybodies reply's cuz i typically figure a buncha little kids will just try to slam on you for it. heres my take: graffiti is simply writing on somebody elses property. it can be artistic and it can be delivering a message. a graff artist is somebody who does graffiti and is recognized individually for his/her work. some are real artists and some have no artistic talent wutsoever. i get tired of seeing people that fucking suck at tagging putting shitty ass throw ups all over our lovely city of Atlanta. that is not art, it is vandalism. now if you can make it good it may be vandalism still but its more of a blessing to me, as long as you dont do it on sumbodies car or sumthin like that. and dont do it all around the legal yard because that gives us a bad name. i see too many writers out there that are just out for fame rather then self fulfillment. my take on illegal graffiti is a quote i read sumwhere but cant remember who said it: "i can go spray a dot on the side of my house today and its cool, its my art. tonight i can go paint the most beautiful peace i've ever done on the side of my neighbors house and its considered vandalism."

anyways, i would say kids that dont tag letters or anything of that sort just doing characters or just putting abstract paintings up. most of the time i would classify it as graffiti art or aerosol art. when it gives off the vibe and when they are doing it just to do it. every writer leaves his signature with every piece he paints. and by signature i dont mean a mark out to the side of ur piece saying ur name.

Originally posted by Fabo 2

Graffiti, in the eyes of the law is criminal damage. In my eyes, you gotta write something to be a writer.

well put. but then again, in my view if someone uses the same stencil to get up over again (illegally) then i put them in the "writer" catagory.

what is art school graff? i mean it's such a dumb statement (no offense)

i know a bunch of kids who went to art school or majored in art in non "art schools" and they write. i mean i judge them by their personality and style.

i can't see how it can hurt if you have some background on certain elements of design and balance and all that good stuff.

i got into graff when i was like 14 (1989). it was graff that got me into art, not the other way around. i never went to an art school, but i am an art edu. major now.

i think people need to stop having closed minds and stop being so overly analytical!

and by the way, if it aint illegal, it aint graff.

to me, its a breath of fresh air to see something original, its refreshing to get away from the strict adherence to letterform and the aspects of "traditional" writing. the way i see it is, where would graffiti be today if noone tried anything new?

i believe by art school graff he meant kids that go to art school and start graffiti and kind of like me they dont really bomb or anything. ya? i cant say i've been to art school and probly never will because i dont got that kind of money and neither do my parents. such a shame... for wutever it is that got u into graffiti it doesn't matter, wut matters is if u stick with it.

Art

If you consider that art why cant letters be considered as art and why is it legal to do those sort of paintings and not pieces. of course there shoud be some rules about legal pieces like for example you can do a piece here but if we see ur tag appear anywhere we can get you charged. as long as they abide by that i cant see any difference in the two.

...pretty sweet two year old thread...

...first and foremost i must assert that work that exists in a gallery is not graffiti...it is art that references graffiti, but it exists in the context of other work in galleries (paintings, sculpture)...so a twist painting that he did in an alley is completely different than the same image painted on a canvas and hung in a gallery...

...wheat-pasteing and painting are also two completely differnt things...i've done both and respect both but they are definately different...is it all Graffiti?...sure, i don't care...call it whatever you like...it won't change what it is...

wow

this is the first time I've seen this thread. Real nice conversations.

I think about everything has been covered, and I agree with many of you.

I, personally, don't seperate art and graffiti very often. It's all just different forms of art to me. I prefer public street level art that speaks to the masses, and even better if it was done without permission and in a creative place. Location location location is what they say!

I also agree with the guy who said he's bored with artists who do the same thing over and over. How fun is that to do it again and again? For me it's all about the act or process of painting, the fun of trying something new or seeing an idea come to life. I'll get in a groove and experiment with a certain style or motif for awhile, but then I'll get bored and move on. But it's different for everyone so I can't talk, and It doesn't worry me too much. Dalek has some ill shit and he changes it up. I do wish I would see those spcae Monkey scenes on some bridge or train instead of in a gallery though.

Archived